Talk

Advanced search

can anyone recommend a good serum?

(15 Posts)
ssd Sat 04-Feb-17 21:03:58

am 50, luckily skin is no trouble, dont smoke or drink much

I'd like to treat myself to new skin cream, I wash my face with a tea tree gentle scrub daily from body shop, then usually moisturize...but I'd like to use a serum instead as I like the feel of it on my skin

I dont fancy using the boots no.7 serum then moisturizer on top, sounds greasy to me too much moisture..

can anyone recommend anything, my skin is a bit dry, not too many lines..yet

Chinnygirl Sat 04-Feb-17 21:55:17

I'm younger than you so maybe not the best one to advise but I really like the (expensive sorry) serum and daycream of clinique.

Donteatthekidssweets Sat 04-Feb-17 21:57:07

Hylamide sub q anti age. Am of similar age and this is fab. Used under mosturiser.

StayGoldPonyBoy Sat 04-Feb-17 22:00:36

If you like body shop products their Drops Of Youth serum is lovely. Very light, it basically feels like water. Makes your skin soft but leaves zero residue so not sticky or greasy. I use this under normal moisturiser in the day and under a vitamin E oil by them at night.

ssd Sat 04-Feb-17 22:20:28

is serum meant to be used under moisturizer then?

can it be used on its own?

slug Sat 04-Feb-17 22:22:24

I'm 51 with similar skin and I've just started using the ordinary buffet

It's the first serum I've seriously bought, having tried loads of samples from other companies. At that price it's hard to go wrong and I can safely say after a few weeks the difference is noticeable. My skin is so soft

SilentlyScreamingAgain Sat 04-Feb-17 22:28:00

is serum meant to be used under moisturizer then?

A serum is a light fluid containing active skincare ingredients, some more active than others, it's not intended to moisturise.

can it be used on its own?

It can if you don't need a moisturiser but as your skin is dry, you'll be more comfortable with one on top.

mortificado Sat 04-Feb-17 22:33:04

I've found no7 day & night moisturiser is brilliant. £9:50 I think there about. Plus boots give out £5 off vouchers often so only costs £4:50 cause it lasts for ages!

LardLizard Sat 04-Feb-17 23:29:41

The aldi one is good and v cheap
Lacura

ChishandFips33 Sun 05-Feb-17 05:25:58

I use la Roche Posay serum alongside their moisturisers - can't say I've noticed a massive difference but it feels like I'm treating my skin so will continue (and I don't want to find out how bad my skin will be without it!)

If I need a boost I still can't beat the glycerin and rose water from boots - leaves my skin soft and hydrated for ages and helps combat the drying out overnight when the heating kicks in on the coldest nights

Beautifullymixed Sun 05-Feb-17 10:15:18

Serums for moisture -
Cosrx Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence,
Hada labo premium hyaluronic acid lotion,
The ordinary hyaluronic acid serum,
Bodyshop vitamin E serum.

Treatment serums -
The Ordinary niacinamide serum,
The Ordinary alpha arbutin serum,
Cosrx BHA Blackhead Power Liquid,
Nip and fab glycolic fix serum.

These are my favourite serums. I don't spend a fortune either. All to be used under moisturiser, or a facial oil if preferred.

ssd Sun 05-Feb-17 11:50:12

thanks all

mortificado, I actually think I have that boots moisturiser! I bought it a few years ago, I wonder how long it lasts, would anyone know?

ssd Sun 05-Feb-17 11:51:29

can I also ask, what are serums for, if they dont moisturise?

Beautifullymixed Sun 05-Feb-17 13:04:34

Serums add extra moisture, along with other ingredients to the skin. They enhance the moisturiser or facial oil.
My skin is extra fussy about moisturisers, and will flare up at any opportunity, or break out, so I use a serum (or two!), then often my beloved mizon snail recovery gel, and / or jojoba oil on top. These calm and soothe, as well as add moisture.
I much prefer serums, and layer them for extra effect.
My favourite serum, hada labo premium hyaluronic acid lotion, is so moisturising, that I go straight to make up primer, and then foundation. My make up goes on beautifully, and my skin is as plump and glowy as it will ever get.

cheapskatemum Sun 05-Feb-17 18:24:07

I like the Body Shop Pomegranate serum, the SPF15 moisturiser is good too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now