Talk

Advanced search

Please help - come out of the hairdresser with orange roots!

(16 Posts)
TheAtlanticWatch Sat 04-Feb-17 16:35:39

Just been to hairdressers for full head of highlights and then colour put over the rest to blend mousey/grey roots with (dyed) dark blonde ends. Toner as well as I said my hair tended to go quite brassy.

On arriving home I find that my roots are quite orange around my parting and around my hairline if I put my hair up. Virtually ginger around my ears. Think must be the all over colour rather than the bleach. I couldn't tell in the light in the salon, but the orange patches are very noticeable in daylight.

Ideally I would call the salon and ask them to fix, but cannot get back there today, it's Sunday tomorrow and I have a mad week next week with lots of work functions at which I wanted to look my best...

Could any of you lovely Mumsnetters give any practical advice as to what I could sensibly do at home to mitigate the damage until I can get to a hairdressers in a couple of weeks? Would a nice & easy light ash blonde lift the ginger colour? Bleach? Or is it safer putting a light brown semi over it all? I also have some silver shampoo.

Any advice very gratefully received. Thank you.

wowfudge Sat 04-Feb-17 16:44:03

Ring the hairdresser and ask their advice, even though you can't get there again today. Email photos of the problem areas. They will want to get it right for you.

TheAtlanticWatch Sat 04-Feb-17 16:55:32

Thank you - have called the salon but the hairdresser had left and they weren't massively helpful, although they have said they will try and get hold of her and get her to phone me.

aintnobodygottimefodat Sat 04-Feb-17 17:02:35

Ugh, I've had the same problem recently. I left some silver shampoo on for a little longer than usual. Took the orange edge off, might work for you as a temporary measure? Do you have a Sally hair and beauty store nearby? The staff in there are amazingly knowledgeable and so helpful. They recommended me a wella ash toner which worked a treat. Good luck!

TheAtlanticWatch Sat 04-Feb-17 17:08:58

Ah that's a great tip re: Sally's, thank you. There's one near work so I'll bob in there on Monday.

Will give the silver shampoo a go tonight too. Could I ask how long you left it on for?

notangelinajolie Sat 04-Feb-17 17:26:48

www.boots.com/beauty/hair/hair-dye/hair-toners

Scott Cornwall Colour Restore Cool Ash Hair Toner is amazing. Costs more than silver shampoo but it really does work. Got rid of my pale peach roots. Bought mine from Boots. Not sure if the link will work as I'm on my phone. Hope this helps.

ginorwine Sat 04-Feb-17 18:33:48

Photograph it to show hairdresser tho so that they see the situation - Before you do anything to it .

aintnobodygottimefodat Sat 04-Feb-17 18:36:12

Atlantic I think I left it for roughly 15 mins. Maybe try for 5-10 first and see how it turns out. I love that silver shampoo, bloody lifesaver.

bojorojo Sat 04-Feb-17 19:01:27

Go back to the hairdresser. I had a problem where my roots were lighter and a bit too "copper". They put it right for free. I have been going there for many years though and this was the first problem I had encountered. If it their mistake, they should put it right.

humanfemale Sat 04-Feb-17 19:16:34

I feel for you. I think I have a proclivity towards ginger, this exact thing happened to me about 6 months ago... and last Thursday my (new) hairdresser gave me highlights which looked ok in salon but are a horrible brassy yellow-orange in certain lights. The rest of my hair is dark brown! I'm not impressed.

Anyway was in Boots today to find something to tone it down and bought a Charles Worthington colour mousse in dark brown which is messy and inconvenient, but should help until I get back to the hairdressers. But I considered buying this violet stuff (pic attached) and your post made me think it might help?

Good luck!

humanfemale Sat 04-Feb-17 19:17:34

Oh notangelina I didn't see your post recommending same smile

hunans Sat 04-Feb-17 20:09:03

Oh what a nightmare.

I have had a similar problem recently. A word of warning re that Scott Cornwall toner - it is VERY hit and miss. It actually made my hair more orange. The reviews are not great at all. Try and do a strand test if you can before going for the whole head.

Good luck.

Truckingalong Sat 04-Feb-17 22:57:09

I've used that toner too and got a lovely green tinge! Proceed with caution!

TheAtlanticWatch Sun 05-Feb-17 19:01:35

Hi all, thanks so much for the advice. Silver shampoo didn't seem to tackle it unfortunately. Going to have a look at the toner but will heed the advice and do a strand test. Fingers crossed! Thank you

penny39 Sun 05-Feb-17 20:22:13

I second the Scott Cornwall toner; there's one specifically for taking out orange tones. Honestly,I had the world's worst hair disaster last year,truly Ronald Macdonald hair and I tried EVERYTHING. My hair throws to red even though it's mouse and warm shades just do not suit me..let alone orange.
I tried the purple shampoo,a semi permanent (twice),and the hairdresser had four goes at putting it right (unsuccessfully I might add). I was frantic and had so much cr*p put on my head that my lymph nodes came up on head and neck and I had a few scary weeks of waiting for them to go down.
The first time I used the Scott Cornwall toner showed very little difference,but on the second go it really worked. I used it successfully for four months as I had to have a break from hair colours due to the severe reaction. Without it my hair was properly orange; with it,I actually got compliments on my hair colour..how I laughed grin

penny39 Sun 05-Feb-17 20:24:30

Oh and I forgot to say: follow the instructions. You need to wash first with something like baby shampoo (from memory) rather than your normal shampoo. Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now