Talk

Advanced search

Fuck me I'm 35 and still drunkenly cutting my own hair

(33 Posts)
SunshineOutdoors Fri 03-Feb-17 23:40:37

I did have annoying shoulder length hair, now have a little bob. I think it looks ok but I'm sure I'll have to try and find a hairdresser to tidy it up at the weekend. Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this!

SunshineOutdoors Fri 03-Feb-17 23:42:00

Hope it still looks ok in the morning. I think Sharon Stone did her pixie cut herself so at least moneyed celebs do it too.

NotTodaySatan Fri 03-Feb-17 23:45:46

I'm sure you look fine.

I have always cut my fringe and sometimes get bored and chop off the lengths as well.

Expensive haircuts are overrated. And full of layers.

SunshineOutdoors Fri 03-Feb-17 23:47:49

Thank you, it was the shit layers that were pissing me off. I've basically just cut off the straggly bits at the bottom. It's quite short now though, and I haven't seen the back. Will just get dh to tidy the back up grin

TabithaBethia Fri 03-Feb-17 23:49:19

Oh I've cut my own hairs for years, even sometimes sober wink

do you have thinning scissors? Chop away then blend with the magic thinners; it's all good imo.

TabithaBethia Fri 03-Feb-17 23:49:52

'my own hairs' lol

SunshineOutdoors Fri 03-Feb-17 23:58:30

Oh no I chucked my thinning scissors after I got way too carried away with them. I have v thick hair so can hack loads out without it making much difference, was a bit scared by just how much hair was coming out though. Very glad I've got responses from the braver posters, and glad to know I'm not the only one. It might be a little raggedy but I think it's tons better than before. I've got a long, thin face but quite big eyes and my cheek bones are visible so as much as I'd love to have long hair I just don't think it suits me. Always jealous of posters who complain about a 'moon' face but I guess the grass is always greener...

NotTodaySatan Sat 04-Feb-17 00:02:18

I REALLY have to advise against thinning scissors. That way baldness lays.

Normal (super sharp) hairdressing scissors pointed upwards and chopped through the ends is the way to add a bit of natural movement to a blunt cut.

Will find a YouTube vid.

Mrsfrumble Sat 04-Feb-17 00:03:38

I did the "mumsnet haircut" (ponytail on top of head, scissors, instant layers) for the first time when drunk, at the age of 36.

I'm sure yours is fine. Just wanted to show solidarity for the "old enough to know better" thing...

SunshineOutdoors Sat 04-Feb-17 00:06:44

Yes I've done the mumsnet haircut before - it's not good is it? Unless you're the model on the video

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 04-Feb-17 00:08:21

I am 46 and do the same. Sometimes it works, othertimes I have to wear a hat till I cam persuade hairdresser to fit me in.

Catinthecorner Sat 04-Feb-17 02:04:17

I have found my people. Currently trying to convince DH to chop mine or it'll be a DIY job. Mine is fairly long and I'm not paying someone the best part of £50 to cut a straight line then faff for 30 minutes. I mean I would if I left looking and feeling amazing but it's never much different to a home job for me.

I'd actually love a real style but hairdressers seem to just all want to keep it long.

SallyVating Sat 04-Feb-17 02:09:23

I cut my own hair. Usually when I'm drunk. I put it in a hairband near my forehead and snip.

It looks pretty good if I say so myself

SunshineOutdoors Sat 04-Feb-17 02:19:52

I agree I'd stick with hairdressers if I liked what they did, but I just don't

LaundryQueenHatesIroning Sat 04-Feb-17 02:43:44

Had quite a chuckle at the title. I absolutely do this. The amount of fringes that have been drunkenly hacked into my hair as a result of seeing someone with one on tv and thinking 'that looks great, I want a fringe now' is quite a number.

MothersRuinart Sat 04-Feb-17 03:05:54

I do this too! And I don't even worry about it being completely uneven at the back. I mean, I never pay attention to other people's hair, even when they go from beehive to skinhead, so why would they pay attention to mine smile

FishlessCake Sat 04-Feb-17 07:50:45

I need to start doing this grin. My hair is only half way down my neck in a bob yet when I go for a trim I always come out upset. I've moved hairdressers about 10 times I just want to find out whose motto is 'Will cut hair however you want it, even if I personally think it won't suit you'. I don't want layers by the top of my ears. Ahh that feel better smile

Eminybob Sat 04-Feb-17 07:58:09

I do this!
I have done the mumsnet cut a few times but most recently have given myself a graduated bob. I pulled it all into a ponytail at the nape of my neck and cut the ponytail off.
Then gave myself a few long layers through it buy doing a loose mumsnet cut.
Looks fine and I've had compliments. I would never admit I do it myself though! My friends would think I'm barking!
I only ever do it drunk though I've not got the courage when sober!

JennyOnAPlate Sat 04-Feb-17 08:03:15

How's it looking in the cold light of sobriety day op?

Meripenopause Sat 04-Feb-17 08:44:12

I cut my own hair. I go to the hairdresser a couple of times a year but it looks straggly either way (thin hair) so I may as well save the money.

TronaldFrump Sat 04-Feb-17 09:17:28

I just had a little snip inspired by this.. grin

doctorboo Sat 04-Feb-17 09:31:10

I've just taken an inch off at the back of my head. DH says it needs a wee tidy up, but I can cope with it. I have got a supercuts £ off voucher but I don't think i want to spend the bus fare or £20-odd quid for a tidy up...

FourToTheFloor Sat 04-Feb-17 09:33:47

Well OP? How does it look in the cold sober morning glare smile

getoffthesofa Sat 04-Feb-17 09:39:30

I'm 43 and just went at my hair with blunt scissors and oh's hair clippers. Looks ok, only one small bald patch grin . Possibly knowing when to stop is the key...

Disabrie22 Sat 04-Feb-17 12:03:28

I do it too - chopped layers in as crazy hair and never looks any better when a hair dresser does it. Currently got slightly unsymmetrical layers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now