Talk

Advanced search

Gel nails/uv lamp for home use

(9 Posts)
Snugglepalace Fri 03-Feb-17 23:23:28

I spend £25 a time for gel nails and then £10 to have them removed.
I'm thinking of buying a kit (lamp, gels etc) to use at home in the hope of saving some money in the long run. Amazon have some kits for £50-£80 pounds with quite good reviews but I've looked on the professional websites and the uv lamps alone are at least £200, so am having doubts these cheaper ones are any good.
Does anyone have one of these kits? Are they any good?

NickMyLipple Fri 03-Feb-17 23:26:46

I did this myself a year or so ago- my kit was about £80 including some colours and all the bits and bobs like buffer and files and prep and lint and remover.

My technique was appalling and as a result I've used the kit once! It shows very obviously if you're not very good at painting your nails but I think if a friend helped you out it would be a huge savings.

Snugglepalace Fri 03-Feb-17 23:36:02

That was my though nick, to have a practice on my friends and start with a cheaper kit but just wondered if the lamps set the polish as well as the more expensive ones?

user1481406249 Fri 03-Feb-17 23:37:07

Yes I purchased one on Amazon. Along with the necessary basics. Just read up on how to do gel nails and off you go. If you can paint your own nails reasonably well then you will be fine. It cost me about £40 initially. Enjoy.

ohidoliketobe Fri 03-Feb-17 23:39:45

My mum has the sensationail one from Boots. I've used it a few times. It's OK. Doesn't last as long as a salon gel mani but lasts longer than typical at home nail varnish.

leighb23 Fri 03-Feb-17 23:50:55

I've got one, Red Carpet Manicure. Don't have much time to use it, but they last a couple of weeks (longer on toes) and my nails actually grow because the gel is protecting my nails, whoohoo!!

hugoagogo Fri 03-Feb-17 23:54:03

My friend uses sensationail from boots and loves it.

RobinIsThicke Fri 03-Feb-17 23:56:10

One of the best beauty purchases I made. I repaint about once every week and a half. The cheaper lamps work fine. I've had one bulb go but have had mine for about 2 years.

Snugglepalace Sat 04-Feb-17 00:08:00

Will defo go for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now