Talk

Advanced search

SAHMs of toddlers, where do you shop for comfy yet stylish clothes?

(41 Posts)
GrumpyOldTroll Fri 03-Feb-17 21:56:42

Help please! I look frumpy and sloppy. I'd like to look a bit smarter, but comfortable and easy for crawling around softplay hell and warm enough for standing around at the park. Pockets so I don't need a bag for phone/keys/wallet. I need a total new wardrobe. And not too pricey. Also would love some denim flares - anyone seen any?
Mid-Late 30s. Size 12. 5'8''.

Newbrummie Fri 03-Feb-17 22:01:40

Baukjen's jumpsuit is bloody amazing I think, I've lived in the cold shoulder one all winter.

Newbrummie Fri 03-Feb-17 22:02:17

You always need a bag .... you're not a dad grin

GrumpyOldTroll Fri 03-Feb-17 22:06:10

A jumpsuit, with a toddler? Too much hard work when I need the loo.
Lol. I hate bags! I need my hands free.
Thank you though! :D

Newbrummie Fri 03-Feb-17 22:10:33

Works for me takes no longer to whip down than leggings

GrumpyOldTroll Fri 03-Feb-17 22:13:53

Link?

vengabus Fri 03-Feb-17 22:18:00

Hush. It's not cheap but their clothes are amazing and don't look like you've raided Primark or H&M.

Newbrummie Fri 03-Feb-17 22:22:46

www.baukjen.com/uk/m/shop/baukjen/jumpsuits/crofton-jumpsuit-caviar-black.htm
My favourite, it just saves looking for a top and bottom to match, I wear it daily basically with slouchy boots

GrumpyOldTroll Fri 03-Feb-17 22:23:34

I need something mid-range - more than Primark, less than Hush, ideally! Thank you though!

Chickpearocker Fri 03-Feb-17 22:25:04

Joules?

GrumpyOldTroll Fri 03-Feb-17 22:26:06

Also to add, I'd like to try and wear less black.

GrumpyOldTroll Fri 03-Feb-17 22:32:32

£110!!! Thank you anyway! Even if I could afford that, it's not really me.

GrumpyOldTroll Fri 03-Feb-17 22:40:18

Looking at Joules, not loving anything though, price decent at least. Thank you.

MiniAlphaBravo Fri 03-Feb-17 22:41:18

What about a cross body bag? I think you would struggle to look stylish with loads in your pockets... though I am a fan of my Barber jacket which has some very practical pockets. Expensive but I've had it for years.

GrumpyOldTroll Fri 03-Feb-17 22:44:56

I just find them a real pita when I'm crawling after toddlers in softplay, or trying to rescue them from up in a tree.

Chocolatepudding85 Fri 03-Feb-17 23:01:16

Newbrummie - I love that jumpsuit! How tall are you? I'm short so don't know if it would look awkward on me.

Op- I live in Lulu Lemon leggings, H&M shirts, trainers and use a small cross body bag for keys / purse / phone instead of pockets. Leggings + shirt combo is mega comfy and not too scruffy. Don't know if that helps you...

GrumpyOldTroll Fri 03-Feb-17 23:06:19

Thanks, Choc - what do you wear on your feet with leggings? I struggle out of trainers, and I don't like trainers with leggings. I don't want to wear boots as I find them hard.

Newbrummie Fri 03-Feb-17 23:09:37

I'm 5'9" but you could take it up yourself easily with that wonder web stuff, worth tryingbit on I think it's so practical

NewBallsPlease00 Fri 03-Feb-17 23:13:09

In the nicest possible way, if you want pockets and trainers you are relatively restricted in terms of giving your look the overhaul you say you'd like- pockets will always look combat heavy or bulky and soft play has a habit of emptying them anyway...?
Fwiw I'd have suggested leather look coated skinnies and longer line oversized shirts (intended that way not just too big) with boots but would work with fashion led trainers ie smart black Nike/ air & gace pumps etc
Main think would be to ensure what you wear fits well, and you're groomed ( ie still make grooming effort- tamed hair, clean nails etc)

MightyMunki Fri 03-Feb-17 23:15:56

Uniqlo- very good jeans and basics
On my days off I try, I still like to dress a bit smart, they have some really nice non-iron blouses in TK Maxx, not too pricey and tey look nice without feeling 'formal', comfy but pretty.

Also maybe just worth jazzing up outfits with accessories, nice scarfs etc.

I use a small north face backpack when out with the kids as I love having my hands free. There are some really nice leather/faux leather ones about at new look/ tkmaxx.

GinIsIn Fri 03-Feb-17 23:26:57

The quickest way to look stylish is to wear clothes that fit really well so as MiniAlpha has said that's not really feasible with loads of stuff crammed in your pockets as it distorts the line of what you are wearing.

Chocolateteabag Sat 04-Feb-17 01:24:22

Have a look at Dress like a mum on Instagram? She wears colourful but practical stuff?

GrumpyOldTroll Sat 04-Feb-17 12:00:04

lol ok. Hm, can I bring bum bags back into fashion?! grin
I guess I'll have to embrace the bag.
Thanks.

hecallsmebunny Sat 04-Feb-17 19:25:08

Had never heard of lulu lemon. Just looked up. What the heck makes leggings worth £80+ shock

VioletHornswaggle Sat 04-Feb-17 19:59:02

I have a radley rucksack hand bag. Easy to be hands free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now