Talk

Advanced search

Blotchy skin (with pic)

(19 Posts)
CordeliaFitzgerald Fri 03-Feb-17 21:36:47

Help! Photo from this morning, just out the shower. My skin on my face has gone crazy- it's usually fine but recently has become really blotchy red, feels swollen and hot in parts and a bit tight with patchy dry bits. I think it might be hormonal (was pregnant but lost baby at 13 weeks with massive hormonal crash) and also weather related with cold weather and boiling centrally heated office/house. I'm hoping it will sort itself out eventually but what should I put on it in the meantime - oil or moisturiser or some sort of E45?
Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Twinmummyjojo Fri 03-Feb-17 22:02:27

Is it sore or itchy? If so I would probably see the chemist for a bit of advice. My dp has blotchy skin like this and he swears by cold Sudocrem!

Summer23 Fri 03-Feb-17 22:15:31

So sorry for your loss. It probably is hormone related and will calm down in time. I would go to the gp for advice.

CordeliaFitzgerald Fri 03-Feb-17 22:27:35

Thanks both. It's not really sore or itchy, just feels a bit hot. I've had small bits of eczema before on other part of my body and it seems like it could be the start of that but not sure why it would suddenly appear on my face - there is nothing wrong anywhere else. Just don't know what to put on it! Ive got a GP appointment at the end of next week anyway so will ask then.

muhajaba Fri 03-Feb-17 22:40:07

aloe vera gel will soothe the heat, and I would add coconut oil under your regular moisturiser- extra hydrating and as its under a cream it absorbs much faster than oil on it's own.

CordeliaFitzgerald Fri 03-Feb-17 22:44:45

Ah, coconut oil is a good idea, thanks! I have some so will try that overnight...

muhajaba Sat 04-Feb-17 00:44:11

It's great stuff, hope it helps smile

lubeybooby Sat 04-Feb-17 00:47:26

happened to me - a type of rosacea (hot, irritated non spotty type) and I'm not having an easy time getting it sorted

word of warning coconut oil only gave me spots. Get yourself over to the great skincare and where to find it thread - also see gp to be sure (I'm going to mine next week)

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 04-Feb-17 08:24:21

Stay away from the coconut oil.
It's comedogenic and will make things worse.

Don't do anything until you see your GP. The gentlest of cleansing and a thought of unscented moisturiser.

I would use this, on me, not sure it's OK for you, I would ask GP when I see him.

www.boots.com/la-roche-posay/la-roche-posay-cicaplast/la-roche-posay-cicaplast-baume-b5-soothing-repairing-balm-100ml-10149155

or some Fenistil gel, but definitely not an oil.

XiCi Sat 04-Feb-17 10:46:05

Definitely no to the coconut oil. As per pp it's comodogenic and can exacerbate existing skin conditions. The aloe vera gel (if pure aloe vera) would help. I swear by the la Roche posay cicaplast though for any skin irritations. It's amazing stuff. Completely eradicated dds baby excema when everything else including steroids had failed

CordeliaFitzgerald Sat 04-Feb-17 12:02:29

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to leave it alone until I see the GP then. Had hoped there might be some easy fix but realise that is wishful thinking!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 04-Feb-17 12:06:46

Aveeno and take some Piriton?

Sorry for your loss x

margaritasbythesea Sat 04-Feb-17 12:20:28

I thought rosacea too. See what your GP says. In the meantime I have found not using a foaming cleanser helps if you do use one. I currently use whatever oil I have hanging around ( grape seed and olive oil) but that's only because I am stuck at home with sick kids and can't get to a shop to buy cetaphil and got desperate. It's a brand very often recommended by dermatologists for those with rosacea and other skin problems. But I think it really is getting rid of the foaming cleanser that has really helped my skin feel less sore today.

muhajaba Sun 05-Feb-17 00:04:13

a little amount of extra virgin coconut oil under moisturiser is unlikely to do any harm, its antibacterial, anti-fungal, antimicrobial and many rosacea sufferers actually find it beneficial. Please ask your GP to refer you to a derm, most GPs arent great with skin conditions.

BusterGonad Sun 05-Feb-17 07:37:29

Aveeno is amazing. It soothes my eczema prone skin and I recommended it to a friend with rosacea and she loves it.

Thinkingblonde Sun 05-Feb-17 07:52:34

Aloe Vera can cause allergic reactions, there's a thread on MN about it. It seems to be in lots of skin products.
I have rosacea and avoid soap on my face, I use aqueous cream to wash with and in the shower.
Could you get to a pharmacist for advice as a first port of call?
Anti histamine medication should help with the itch and an anti histamine cream too but I don't know whether you can use both at the same time.
Sorry for your loss🎉

muhajaba Sun 05-Feb-17 09:44:25

Aloe vera will cause an allergic reaction - if you are allergic to it, same as anything else.

CordeliaFitzgerald Sun 05-Feb-17 12:41:01

Thanks everyone. I went to Boots, the pharmacist was not much help - she thought it might well be because of the hormones, or possibly an allergic reaction, so nothing to add really. Anyway, I bought some of the La Roche Posay Cicaplast recommended and it seems to have really helped reduce the redness and swollen feeling. From a distance, my face looks ok again, but still feels odd. I also bought some Avene sensitive light moisturiser which I've patch tested and seems ok so far so hopefully that will help. GP appointment on Thursday so will stay away from all other products and see what it looks like by then!

beanfilledfish Sun 05-Feb-17 12:43:10

i get this quite a bit and use hydrocortisone cream (very cheap) seems to work also have to use anti-histamines. Think mine is hormonal too but being referred as it's just not budging.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now