Talk

Advanced search

Ear piercings too close together

(42 Posts)
Floofborksnootandboop Fri 03-Feb-17 21:19:12

I really hope this is the right place but I'm not sure so sorry if it's not.

DD got her ears pierced today and had to take her first piercing out before they could do it so had no idea if it was in a good place or not.

She's come home waited the time suggested and tried to put her first piercing back in but she can't as they've pierced the second too close so no earring will fit. She's been in tears as she's wanted a second piercing for ages.

Does anyone one what can be done about this? She wants to go back tomorrow and see if they can put it right but I'm pretty sure that she is going to have to wait until the piercing heals up first, isn't she?

VocalDuck Fri 03-Feb-17 21:23:34

Could her lobe just be swollen at the moment and it will calm down enough for the original earring to go back in?

Floofborksnootandboop Fri 03-Feb-17 21:28:29

I'm not too sure, I definitely think she needs to leave it overnight and then make up here mind as piercer said it's the usual place a second piercing will go but she says she knew as soon as she touched them that they were too close.

She's tried every single earring she has and none will fit.

HeyRoly Fri 03-Feb-17 21:32:37

If the placement is wrong then unfortunately the only real option is to let it heal and do it again later.

She was given bad advice though. They said they placed the second piercing "in the usual place a second piercing should go"? That's obviously bollocks if it means that it sits too close to the first hole. You're supposed to cite the piercing in the best place for the individual and their anatomy, not the "usual" place.

Was it done with a piercing gun? They are notoriously difficult to use in a precise way.

BearGryllsHasaBigRope Fri 03-Feb-17 21:34:48

She should take it out, let it heal and then get it redone. One of mine was too close together while the other ear was fine. I never let it heal to get it redone and I really regret it as I can't wear a second earring.

Floofborksnootandboop Fri 03-Feb-17 21:35:35

I thought so, she's really upset though and won't listen confused she doesn't want to wait as she feels she's waited long enough.

I told her she should've asked the to do the dot with her other earring in so she could see what it is like.

Yes, with a gun.

DaisyQueen Fri 03-Feb-17 21:37:45

My bottom lobe piercings have a finger nail gap between the piercings. I don't understand having to take them out first, surely having the earring in would provide a better visual for the next hole! All she can do is take them out and have them redone when healed.

TrionicLettuce Fri 03-Feb-17 21:40:41

There's really nothing that can be done to fix this quickly.

She needs to let them heal then go to a decent body piercer to have them re-done.

I really wouldn't recommend going back to the same place given they've already buggered up badly once. I used to be a piercer and saw some horrific bodge jobs where crappy piercers had tried to "fix" their mistakes.

HeyRoly Fri 03-Feb-17 21:43:41

I don't think taking the earring out caused the problem. When I had my third holes piercer (by a professional piercer - the others were done with guns when I was younger) he insisted I take all my earrings out so he could mark the new holes more accurately.

Tell your DD she needs to think long term. If she refuses to take the new piercing out they are always going to look crap. Doesn't matter how long she waited to get them! I know it's hard reasoning with teens, but if she takes it out ASAP it'll heal really quickly. She can get it redone - hopefully by someone better! - really soon.

FairytaleOfSkegness Fri 03-Feb-17 22:48:55

When I got my ears pierced for the second time they were done too close to my previous piercings. I didn't really think about it at the time and can probably wear two simple sets of very small earrings but nothing that's a more exciting shape/ size.

I've wore my second earrings till they healed but now I've had them out for years and years and they still haven't healed. So if she wants them redoing get them out asap! Just make sure to keep them very clean whilst they heal

barefoofdoctor Sat 04-Feb-17 07:35:47

They should have marked up the second piercing while the first earrings were in situ, played the positioning with your daughter then removed the first earrings and pierced. Piercing guns are100% accurate as you literally position the point of the earring at the marking on the ear and fire. It's the size of the bit which surrounds the new earring when loaded into the gun which means other earrings in close proximity.ity need removing prior to piercing. I'd ask for a refund, give ears a week to settle then go to a reputable place for new piercings. No holes should be made until the customer is completely satisfied with placement. An unfortunate lesson in assertiveness for your daughter!

barefoofdoctor Sat 04-Feb-17 07:38:10

Okayed not played!

Floofborksnootandboop Sat 04-Feb-17 11:47:37

I've said I'll take her back this afternoon to see if they can advise her on what to do and hopefully get some money back/re do them for free or cheaper.

She understands that the sooner she takes the piercing out the sooner it will heal and I could only be a couple of weeks until she gets them redone but she's just upset that she's spent all that money on something she's wanted for ages only for it to turn out bad.

She says she thought it was right and looked fine, it doesn't look too close to be fair but once the earring is in it is.

Lasagna Sat 04-Feb-17 13:49:57

Depending on the space between the piercing she wants to remove and where she wants the new one they may be able to do it again today.

If not the only option is take it out wait a week for it to settle and then get it redone in a better place.

Do go in today though as at the very least they will offer some sort of discount for the next time.

pinkyredrose Sat 04-Feb-17 13:55:55

Don't quite understand why.the new piercing is stopping the jewellery in the first piercing going in. Could you post a pic?

Floofborksnootandboop Sat 04-Feb-17 15:30:10

The jewellery will go in, it just sits to close or on top of the new piercing.

Floofborksnootandboop Sat 04-Feb-17 15:35:27

She's just said she can her the earrings in but it looks stupid as it's too close and she also can't get the back on as the new piercing has a large back on it.

DaphneDeLaFontaine Sat 04-Feb-17 15:38:45

That is definitely too close. Where on earth did she get it done? She needs to go get her money back.

GeorgeTheHamster Sat 04-Feb-17 15:47:20

Yeah they are definitely too close, she's going to have to let the new ones heal up.

Lasagna Sat 04-Feb-17 15:55:36

Definitely too close, was the person who done it even looking fgs?!

Get them to redo it for free or your money back and go else where.

HeyRoly Sat 04-Feb-17 15:59:07

They're both too close together and it's SO unnecessary because there was plenty of room to place a second piercing.

I say take them both out and try again with a more competent piercer.

Elizawh Sat 04-Feb-17 16:04:48

Far to close together, shown them to my husband who used to do tattoos and piercings and he can't believe they pierced them that close. The good news though is because it's ridiculously close and she has a good amount of space you may just be able to take them out and get them redone today.

DH says when you go(if you haven't already) take a pair of earrings the size she would usually wear with you and once the bad piercing is out you can put them in and have a look at where she would want them redone and if it's possible to do them today. Worse case scenario she has to wait a month for them to heal.

100% stand your ground and get your money back though.

booellesmum Sat 04-Feb-17 16:08:27

DD had her second ones done at Claire's and one side is close and the other not. She can get earrings in though.
Had 3rd ones done by a piercer at a tattoo parlour who adjusted the third piercing to make them look better.
Really impressed by the tattoo parlour.
Could you go and see a piercer at a tattoo parlour and get a professional opinion?

pinkyredrose Sat 04-Feb-17 16:31:59

Did you go to Claires? She could probably wear hoops in them.

Floofborksnootandboop Sat 04-Feb-17 19:23:29

i suggested hoops but she just says ah e doesn't want to have to wear hoops the rest of her life as she has some really expensive nice earrings that she doesn't want to just be useless.
We went in and got told to come back on Monday when the person who done it and the manager are in so they can fix it. The lad who looked said the same as elizawh but he couldn't do anything until the manager has looked unless we wanted to pay for it. For now he gave us a pair of small studs with the tiny rubber backs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now