Talk

Advanced search

Dry peeling lips - help! I've tried everything!

(55 Posts)
QueenoftheAndals Fri 03-Feb-17 21:07:58

My lips are constantly dry and peeling and no matter what lip balm I use it doesn't make a difference. I've tried them all - Chapstick, Blistex, Carmex, Nivea, Vaseline Intensive Care, Body Shop, Nuxe, Lanolips - nothing works. I exfoliate them and I look for balms that have things like moisturising oils or cocoa butter or Shea butter in them and avoid irritating ingredients but it makes no difference. My diet is fairly good and I drink at least a litre of water every day too.

Can anyone suggest a miracle product?

3luckystars Fri 03-Feb-17 21:08:50

Vitamins!

shesaidhello1 Fri 03-Feb-17 21:10:13

I went through a similar thing. And before I succumbed to going to a dermatologist, I bought tons of bioderma lip balm (got mine in boots). It really really helped

INeedNewShoes Fri 03-Feb-17 21:10:28

Have you tried specifically the medicated Chapstick (in a light blue tube)? It's the only thing that works for me and I'd tried every other option in Boots to no avail.

biscuitkumquat Fri 03-Feb-17 21:11:17

Have you tried Elizabeth Arden 8 hour lip cream?

Only thing that works on my very, very dry, chapped lips

RNBrie Fri 03-Feb-17 21:12:41

Le Roche Posay

This stuff is amazing and works miracles overnight. But I'd stop exfoliating your lips too, you'll just be doing more damage.

notMarlene Fri 03-Feb-17 21:13:42

Have you tried changing your toothpaste? It's possible to react to them.

Heratnumber7 Fri 03-Feb-17 21:15:00

Drink more water?

missyB1 Fri 03-Feb-17 21:15:37

Sorry no suggestions but I'm following as I have the same problem!

LimeySnickett Fri 03-Feb-17 21:16:17

biscuit I was going to say Elizabeth Arden 8 hour lip balm... I bought the one in the pot and a lipstick - it's the best i've tried.

BitOfFun Fri 03-Feb-17 21:17:14

Do you suffer with your sinuses? Breathing through your mouth constantly can cause very dry lips.

Cosleepdependent Fri 03-Feb-17 21:19:18

Blistex cream in white metal tube. The only product that stops chaps and flakes. You could be like me and it's the SLS in your toothpaste that is causing it.

WhereShallWeGo Fri 03-Feb-17 21:19:20

Melrose Stick!
Only thing that stays on my lips long enough... Boots used to sell them over the counter but now I get them online.

jellyandsoup Fri 03-Feb-17 21:20:42

I use cymex, comes in a yellow tube, amazing.

QueenoftheAndals Fri 03-Feb-17 21:20:52

Some interesting things to consider here as I do suffer with my sinuses from time to time. I use the same toothpaste I've used for years but then I've had this problem for years too!

Doobigetta Fri 03-Feb-17 21:22:11

Burts Bees, or another lip balm that contains only plant oils and beeswax, no mineral oil. It won't fix them completely, but it will go a long way towards it.

Backt0Black Fri 03-Feb-17 21:22:41

I had this with salicylic acid in my face wash. Stopped allowing near lip area and much improved.

ilovewelshrarebit123 Fri 03-Feb-17 21:25:04

Burts Bees lip balm in the tin 🐝 it's amazing and all natural. I only use it before bed and my lips are never dry!

user1475253854 Fri 03-Feb-17 21:25:29

Third one for EA 8 hour cream.

burnishedsilver Fri 03-Feb-17 21:27:21

Burts bees.

Phoenix76 Fri 03-Feb-17 21:28:56

If all else fails maybe worth trying 100% coconut oil, the one you get in the food section that's in a jar, it's solid until your body heat melts it. Sounds uncomfortable op hope you find a solution.

QueenoftheAndals Fri 03-Feb-17 21:29:12

Burts Bees is another one I tried, to no avail.

PickAChew Fri 03-Feb-17 21:36:33

Lush ultrabalm is lovely.

I currently keep mine blathered with Quantum Superlysine+ cold stick, though as I'm prone to cold sores coming through when my lips crack and they really do help to keep them at bay.

The worse my lips have ever been was when I wore some No 17 lipstick when I was a teenager. Fine for months, then left them a bleeding mess sad They only healed when I stopped wearing any lipstick of that brand.

So it is possible that you might be reacting to something you put on your face.

ValiaH Fri 03-Feb-17 21:38:46

The only one I've found that works on my lips is the Body Shop hemp one, I realised I was reacting to petroleum based ones and to lanolin based lip balms, and this is one that has neither. They also have a vitamin e one but that has wheatgerm in it and I can't tolerate wheat in any form. I avoid any toothpaste with sls (sodium laurel sulphate) in it as that makes my lips instantly peel and flake.

phoenix1973 Fri 03-Feb-17 21:40:11

I have the same problem every Winter. The only thing that works for me is Savlon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now