Talk

Advanced search

What would you wear with this dress?

(23 Posts)
GwenStaceyRocks Fri 03-Feb-17 20:17:32

I have a few weddings coming up this year and have this dress to wear to one of them but I can't decide what to wear with it. Wedding is in Scotland so could be sunny but tbh it's more likely to be cold but dry. Any suggestions for jackets? coats? Shoes?
I'd probably rather not have a pashmina. I find them too awkward to keep in place whilst running about after DCs.
I'm 40, fair, size 10/12. TIA

I know the weddings are ages away but I figure I might pick something up in the sales if I decide just now

BrownEyedLady Fri 03-Feb-17 20:28:45

What about a faux fur jacket/shrug? One in ivory or cream maybe?

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Fri 03-Feb-17 20:30:53

Ivory or cream would make it look v bridesmaid-ish though, I think. Silvery grey, maybe?

BrownEyedLady Fri 03-Feb-17 20:31:14

I'm thinking a short one like this but with a neckline that's more like your dress (and perhaps a richer/slightly darker colour) http://m.houseoffraser.co.uk/Jane+Norman+Black+Faux+Fur+Shrug/249710369,default,pd.html

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Fri 03-Feb-17 20:37:04

Might be too frilly

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Fri 03-Feb-17 20:42:09

Biker

Suede

These too may be to casual - depends on the wedding!

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Fri 03-Feb-17 20:43:34

Too wintery?

GwenStaceyRocks Sat 04-Feb-17 10:11:19

Sorry I ended up at the movies last night. Remus your last link doesn't work for me. I do like the others you've posted but think they're too casual.
Silvery grey might work well. Would I need silver/grey shoes then?

GwenStaceyRocks Sat 04-Feb-17 10:19:55

I liked the frilly jacket and a fur shrug in a different colour smile
Would a blush jacket look too matchy-matchy?
jacket
Would a coat look odd?
coat

NewPantsforaNewYear Sat 04-Feb-17 10:34:33

I love Remus's suggestions. Shame they're too casual.

I think the pink cardigan is bordering on twee and the cost is a bit too 'flat'.

A boucle jacket could look good if you could find the right colour.

GwenStaceyRocks Sat 04-Feb-17 11:05:56

Ooh! I like the boucle jacket idea. Any suggestions for colours?
I know what you mean about the coat being flat.

mumtomaxwell Sat 04-Feb-17 12:02:00

That dress is just the sort of thing I'm looking for.... where is it from OP?

GwenStaceyRocks Sat 04-Feb-17 12:06:54

It's from Ariella mum .

FishlessCake Sat 04-Feb-17 12:51:44

What's the name of the dress? I can't find it on there and it's beautiful, just what I'm looking for smile

GwenStaceyRocks Sat 04-Feb-17 13:07:05

Ariella Riley
I think Debenhams, John Lewis etc stock them too.

OlennasWimple Sat 04-Feb-17 13:08:47

Expensive Ted Baker boucle jacket but you have time to wait for a sale event

Hobbs bolero jacket

mumtomaxwell Sat 04-Feb-17 14:20:48

Thanks Gwen! They even have my size smile

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Sat 04-Feb-17 14:27:33

My last link was a cropped faux fur jacket but it's now out of stock, hence link not working.

The pink bolero thing is v little ballerina-ish. I think the dress is so 'pretty' that you don't want to make it go too little girl-ish with more pink, unless you go a deeper, dusty pink.

Bargain pink

Far too casual but for a different event this would look amazing with it.

LoupGarou Sat 04-Feb-17 14:30:51

I wear a hip length hooded wrap cape thing, with a faux fur lined hood with evening dresses, belted around the waist with a beaded ribbon belt (the more subtle ones from Kirsten Kuehn are more favourites www.shopkirstenkuehndesigns.com/category/sashes ) and antique silver crystal brooch to pin at the shoulder where I drape it. That way its toddler chasing proof.

ChinUpChestOut Sat 04-Feb-17 14:58:18

I quite like the idea of a coat, it doesn't add overkill to the femininity of the dress. What about this light beige satin one from & Other Stories? Worn open, with the belt tied at the back?

LyndaLaHughes Sat 04-Feb-17 15:22:13

I find Debenhams great for this sort of thing.

http://www.debenhams.com/women/occasion-evening-wear/cover-ups

GwenStaceyRocks Sat 04-Feb-17 15:37:54

Remus that leather jacket is gorgeous.
mum glad to have helped. Just dont wear it to a wedding in Scotland- I don't want us to be twins grin
There was a pic of Selena Gomez wearing a lace dress with a black belt and a coat but sadly I am not a young starlet so it may not work as well on me.
Thank you for all the great ideas. I'd been feeling stumped and now I can see at least three ways I could style it. flowers

humanfemale Sat 04-Feb-17 16:03:32

The pink Mango jacket looks perfect. The sharp tailoring and modern cut sort of 'toughens up' the dress in a great way.

Plus it's the sort of thing you could bung on with jeans and get lots of wear out of through the summer..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now