Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Help me look stylish at work

(5 Posts)
legfaced Fri 03-Feb-17 07:27:51

I'll be returning to work soon from maternity leave. I look young for my age and I'm small. As a result I think people don't take me seriously despite having me a senior role, and I don't think the way I dress really helps. I'm also a bit rubbish wearing heels.

I want to go back with confidence! When I was at work I wore a combo of Oasis/Warehouse with bits of primark and H&M thrown in.

I'm 5ft 1, size 6/8, dark hair with a pale but rosy cheeked complexion. Work is smart-casual so no suits. I don't want to spend a fortune as I don't have much spare cash and I'm only going to be in the office 2 days a week. Places I can order online are best but I have access to all the usual high street stores.

Please help me to build a lovely capsule work wardrobe.

CountFosco Sun 05-Feb-17 12:24:16

What do you do, how smart do you have to be? How old are you, I had this problem when I was younger (think early to mid 30s) and looked even younger (I once had a man who was clearly a similar age to me tell me 'I don't want to speak to you I want to speak to your bosses boss' hmm) but now I'm in my mid 40s it's not an issue anymore because I look old enough to have the authority I have IYSWIM. What's your budget like?

If you don't like heels don't wear them, Check out enbrogue's post about flat shoes suitable for work. I think shorties (I'm 5'2") with stupidly high heels look a bit ridiculous anyway. Presence is about personality as much as height I think. I always wear flats, in fact I wear trainers to work quite a lot since I'm a scientist, I really like them with widelegged trousers.

I'd check out Boden petite for good quality workwear separates, they do a lot of their dresses in petite which is great since dresses are where lack of height really affects fit. Gap's gap bi-stretch skinny ankle pants are available in petite and a good basic for work and look fab with brogues or other flats.

Merlin40 Sun 05-Feb-17 12:28:21

Boden petite is good. I like next trousers teamed with flattering jumpers, nice oasis tops when it is warmer, long sleeved shift dresses in winter with tights. I wear brogues - clarks do nice heeled ones which are a good in between.

legfaced Mon 06-Feb-17 10:30:26

Thanks. I'm early 30s. It's smart casual so no suits just work-like and professional! Love the gap trousers - will be getting some of those!

MrsAHotch Mon 06-Feb-17 11:33:24

I had the same dilemma when I went back to work! I can get away with jeans and smart tops, so made myself a uniform of skinny jeans paired with simple-with-a-twist type tops. I have always loved slightly different shoes, so wore things like the Melissa Meow shoes (flats) and a bright lipstick. If you feel like it, pop on a nice statement necklace - I couldn't because I felt a bit overdressed but love it on other people.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: