Talk

Advanced search

Upper lip hair on 8 yr old

(46 Posts)
Doza Thu 02-Feb-17 21:41:02

DD has wonderfully thick dark hair, it really is beautiful. However the flipside of this is that her body hair dark as well, this really hasn't been an issue for her up to now, she is quite used to the idea that body hair is normal women/ girls as she has a lazy mother when it comes to grooming grin
She has just come to me sayimg that some lads in her class are teasing her about having a mustache. I am chatting to her about it but if it really starts to make her unhappy I want to be able to offer her some options.
I dont think she would tolerate waxing or similar, and I don't like the idea of using removal creams, apart from the concern over using them on sensitive skin, once she starts that she will have to keep it up.
Any suggestions? Would bleaching be gentler?

BrowsOnFleek Fri 03-Feb-17 07:33:51

Your poor DD.
I'd definitely do something about it - what's the point in leaving her to be unhappy? The kids won't just magically stop teasing her.
I'd bleach it first and see how that goes down, if still no luck I'd hair remove it.

BrowsOnFleek Fri 03-Feb-17 07:34:20

* use hair removal cream

DianaT1969 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:42:46

Removal by threading is painful - albeit a temporary discomfort - so she would need to be warned in advance and motivated. But it would avoid strong chemicals on her skin.

VodkaLimeSoda27 Fri 03-Feb-17 13:25:10

DMum used hair removal cream on me at the same age, did a patch test on my arm first. I think the first few times she only need to leave it on for 4 mins. Understand you might not want to put chemicals on her skin but it worked well for us smile

gracearchersghost Fri 03-Feb-17 14:10:06

DD is same age and recently became quite self conscious and upset about the hair on her upper lip. I used bleaching creme; it's far less noticeable and she's happy. Was a little stingy, but tolerable.

MarilynWhirlwindRocks Fri 03-Feb-17 15:12:43

Oh, bless her. Kids can really be cruel to each other at times. sad

It must be a tough call, as a parent: on the one hand, nobody wants their DD feeling they need to change themselves to fit in and feel 'accepted', especially at such a young age.

But if it's affecting her overall self-confidence, then good for you, OP, for taking her seriously and helping her find a solution.

Emphasising inner confidence and differences being totally normal is important, of course, but a good friend of mine (olive skin, very dark hair) would absolutely know how little the bigger picture matters when facing daily taunts from classmates.
She still struggles with self-esteem issues stemming back to primary school-age bullying over facial/ body hair.
Unlike you, her less-than-sympathetic Mother told her to ignore it and point blank banned her from any hair removal whatsoever until 15. Harsh.

Her 11 yr old daughter (same soft, downy moustache issue as perhaps your DD has?) uses a very gentle, non-invasive Alida pad. You apparently have to use it very minimally, and it wouldn't cope with thicker, coarser hair. Hope that, or PPs' suggestions, helps.

QuestionableMouse Fri 03-Feb-17 15:15:23

Bleach can just turn black hair into glaring white ones. How about a facial razor? Probably the most pain-free and least invasive ways.

NoProbLlama Fri 03-Feb-17 15:16:58

So threading would do the trick? How often would it need to be done?

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 03-Feb-17 15:20:05

I'd send her for threading. A blonde moustache is still a moustache & cruel words hurt.

BrowsOnFleek Fri 03-Feb-17 15:22:12

Just me who finds threading so painful? I'd 100% rather a wax. Over in a few seconds rather than wriggling uncomfortably in a chair waiting for the lady to be done.

Viviene Fri 03-Feb-17 15:25:22

I shave mine but I am a wimp and hate pain.

neweymcnewname Fri 03-Feb-17 15:28:00

Weigh it carefully before u act tho, shaving has been suggested, but she could end up with more obvious stubble :-/ ( the blunt ends of the hairs growing back would be pretty noticeable I reckon). I'd see if bleaching gets a good enough result, before embarking on removing the hair (pale hair is surprising hard to see against skin)

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 03-Feb-17 15:30:46

I would go to her teacher and tell her what's happening,the boys need to be reminded it's not acceptable to make fun of people's appearance.

Doza Sat 04-Feb-17 08:59:53

Thank you so much for all the replies, tablet died for a while so I couldn't come back.
Marylin that is the approach I am trying to take, your friends daughter sounds like she has similar colouring to DD so I will look into the pads you mentioned. Do you know what the regrowth is like?
Def no to threading/ waxing as she point blank refuses to wear anything that slightly itches her skin there is no way she would tolerate it. So I may look in to the bleach if the pads dont work.
Thanks again everyone, hopefully I can build her kuo so it's not necessary but its good to have options.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 04-Feb-17 09:06:44

Bleaching will look dreadful on dark hair/skin.

MarilynWhirlwindRocks Sat 04-Feb-17 12:20:15

OP,

No idea, am afraid. Will ask her on Monday for you!

teta Sat 04-Feb-17 18:21:51

Braun make a pink wand-shaped hair trimmer that is operated by a battery.Its brilliant !My teenage DD used this to remove hair from her upper lip.The twin legacy of dark hair from her Asian heritage and pale skin from her English side.Its very swift and easy to use and painless ( unlike the epilator).

NotYoda Sat 04-Feb-17 18:41:52

I am very hairy. I used to bleach my facial hair but i would never recommend that. If I had a daughter who was troubled by this, I think I'd take her for salon waxing. Or failing that, shave it.

I was never bullied, yet it still bothered me

Flisstizzy Sat 04-Feb-17 19:23:33

Your poor DD, I would try to get her prepared for threading so it will be totally removed.
Some little shite has been laughing at my own dd for having a monobrow, so I've plucked the worst of it. She's 7 for goodness sake.

Newtssuitcase Sat 04-Feb-17 19:26:48

I have olive skin and dark hair and bleached mine from age 10. It looked fine. I would stick with bleach at that age. If you remove it you will probably find it looks more obvious when it grows back.

DS1 is 11 (almost 12) and is starting to get a moustache which he is very conscious of. I'm bleaching his for him tomorrow.

AnneEyhtMeyer Sat 04-Feb-17 19:37:58

Don't bleach it. It just draws more attention to it. A girl at school wasn't allowed to remove her moustache, her mum just let her bleach it. It was massively noticeable and just as bad for her as leaving it alone.

teta Sat 04-Feb-17 22:15:08

I think if you have dark skin bleaching just makes upper lip hair more noticeable .A depilatory cream or facial trimmer is by far a better option.Or alternatively the Braun facial epilator is very good - but painful on the upper lip,not on the rest of the face.

NotYoda Sun 05-Feb-17 06:54:57

The trouble with bleaching is that the hairs still there, just yellow. It shows up in the light and the roots grow dark

PhoenixJasmine Sun 05-Feb-17 07:02:06

YY to all the very sensible suggestions about options for removal, but also wanted to second the poster who suggested talking to the school about bullying - that needs to be tackled as well, it's not acceptable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now