Talk

Advanced search

What clothes to buy mid-diet

(20 Posts)
QuackDuckQuack Thu 02-Feb-17 20:32:32

Can anyone suggest a strategy for buying some clothes part way through a diet? It's mostly trousers and skirts that are now too big and it would be better if I could get stuff online as getting to the shops is a bit tricky. Thanks.

Marshpillow Thu 02-Feb-17 20:34:31

Ebay? Then you can save money for your end-of-diet clothes smile

parklives Thu 02-Feb-17 20:35:26

eBay? I generally know which brands of jeans etc fit me well, then I buy the next size down I am hoping to get to, then in a few weeks/months if they get too big I just re-sell on eBay or charity shop them.
That way I don't feel guilty for wasting money or time shopping.

dudsville Thu 02-Feb-17 20:36:00

Would any of your old wardrobe be good if it was taken in by a seamstress?

Cindbelly Thu 02-Feb-17 20:43:42

I've got the same problem, I've lost 20lbs but got another 30 to go. At the moment you can't tell I've lost anything as I'm swamping myself in too big clothes.
Can't help you with the online stuff, but I've created a Pinterest board for an apple shaped capsule, wardrobe and I'm planning on hitting the shops tomorrow to look to buy some cheap similar styles as the board. I'm allowing myself a budget of £100 max and will need to buy a new pair of cheap work shoes with that as well. Will most likely be Dorothy Perkins and debenhams as they are the biggest shops here in town, so not very exciting but it will do for now.

QuackDuckQuack Thu 02-Feb-17 23:15:30

Thanks, I've ordered some things on eBay - great idea.

Toffeelatteplease Fri 03-Feb-17 21:11:45

Lost 5 stone last year. Clothing was challenging.

Tighten jeans with a belt for as long as you possibly can. When you are absolute desperate go for as cheap as possible. Primark level spot on if you are likely to shrink out of them before they wear out.

I found it could belt some of my old dresses too with a really wide waist belt.

H&M basics have some basic black and grey short jersey skirts for about £7. (In store your can get a black tube skirt for £3) they are awesome. Really forgiving on size and remarkably good on the washing side.

Did a few charity shop runs and boot sale raids. Mostly jumpers and Coats. Budget for all your coats needing replacement at the most inconvenient moment. You'll wonder what im talking about then Suddenly you will find the extra fabric around your waist and shoulder really annoying and they all look very wrong.

Don't chuck jumpers too soon. On me as i lost weight they tended to go from fitting to looking stupidly to big to be cutely oversized.

Tops have mostly found to be finr

Check clothing for anything important about a week to week and half ahead. So you have to order anything needed before hand. H&M twice bailed me out when I left clothing a little on the latest side.

I found it could generally wear significantly cheaper clothes and they still look better than any clothes did when I was big

Toffeelatteplease Fri 03-Feb-17 21:31:26

I would say be careful ebay-ing I found it was ridiculously bad at predicting my size (eg 8 months in I was still trying on large coats, I ended up buying a small grinblush) and always bought too large. Even if it was the right size it wasn't for long enough to be worthwhile.

Mostly I found it stuck with a capsule style wardrobe about 4 or 5 cheap basic bottom halves (usually a couple of jeans or shorts and a couple of the h&m skirts) that matched with all my old tops and a couple of my old jumpers.

Cindbelly Fri 03-Feb-17 22:18:36

Wow 5 stone toffee that's great well done you

JournosAreLazy Fri 03-Feb-17 22:44:14

Cheap clothes to tide you over- Primark, H&M, New Look etc. The stuff will still be fashionable but it's not worth spending a fortune on something that's only going to be transitional.

Tartle Fri 03-Feb-17 22:48:02

eBay, charity shop and scouring the sales. I have done particularly well in gap sales. Jeans for less than £15 with online codes on top of sale prices.

See if any of your friends have any stuff they can give/lend you. I borrowed some stuff from a pal when I was desperately short of summer work stuff.

Toffeelatteplease Sat 04-Feb-17 06:41:11

Cindbelly Thank you. I am ridiculously proud of myself. Started in Jan 2016 at some where in excess of 16 st 7 (I dont know exactly because i wouldn't weigh myself at the start) and a 20 very tight 18. Currently 11st 6 and a 10/12 grin. Still a little over BMI but only one percent over healthy body fat and if I can get to that it will do.

I still find myself trying on 14 and 16 because a 10 or 12 seems utterly improbable.

Pipsqueak11 Sat 04-Feb-17 06:45:05

Can you share your diet tips toffee? I need to lose similar amount

Toffeelatteplease Sat 04-Feb-17 07:00:03

Fully subscribed member of calories in calories out!

Downloaded my fitness pal ,mostly stuck to my calorie allowance, ate back about half my exercise calories (had it on sedentary and added in exercise when I did it) tried to exercise 4 times a week (didn't always manage it.) And kept going even on occasion when it looked like nothing much was shifting. Ate snacks and treats because that's how I like to eat but made it work with calorie allowance. Same with the odd takeaway (fish and chips, KFC and macdonalds chicken nuggets are all doable Chinese and Indian much less so)

Ben and Jerry's son of a witch ice cream is my best diet tip ever 75 cals for one 150 for 2.

Pipsqueak11 Sat 04-Feb-17 10:00:41

Thanks toffee- that's so good to hear and not faddy - now just need to find that willpower and the Ben and jerrys .i need some inspiration like yours to get me going smile

CantChoose Sat 04-Feb-17 10:02:59

I lost about 10kg to get into healthy BMI. sadly put a bit on since but still better than before. Appearance wise, I found that with well fitting jeans I could get away with too big tops so mostly just replaced those. I felt much better about myself in less baggy trousers too which spurred me on.

KatyS36 Sat 04-Feb-17 10:13:51

If you love stuff think about using a seamstress, I did this. It probably cost the same as buying cheap clothes, but for me was much less hassle.
Works best for tops skirts and to my surprise jumpers.
Good luck
Katy

RandomWordsandaNumber5 Sat 04-Feb-17 11:11:03

When I lost weight I used a seamstress for some clothing that I particularly liked. For more day to day wear, I used stores like Matalan and Peacocks. I did splash out a bit on a couple of items because I thought it was important to have some clothes that I felt good in even though I knew I wasn't where I wanted to be weight wise. Hope that makes sense.

Toffeelatteplease Sat 04-Feb-17 14:08:19

Pipsqueak11

The "I'm ready to do it" i think is actually the hardest bit. At the start I told myself I only wanted to lose a little ready for a holiday and even if I put it straight back on it would be worth it. But in my heart of hearts I knew I was going for it and I was going to keep going until I got there and stayed there. My fitness pal has become a way of life a bit like checking your bank statement before you make a big purchase.

I found at the start i hung about the success stories thread on the my fitness pal a lot. I googled you tube weight loss success a little too. Persuaded me that at least it could be done. Seeing the numbers going down on the scales became massively motivating and really made the connection between what I ate and the impact on my body.

Pipsqueak11 Sat 04-Feb-17 16:23:31

Toffee - you are so right. So much of this is about state of mind. For too long I have resigned myself to squeezing into clothes and hiding in photos . Feeling motivated now and will definitely have a look at my fitness pal as a tool to help . Thx so much for taking the time to respond . Hope one day I'll be able to look back on this as a start of a new way of living .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now