Talk

Advanced search

Help me find a white button down shirt that you can't see through...

(10 Posts)
piefacerecords Thu 02-Feb-17 09:42:16

That's it really - I've never managed to find one and I have a growing collection of white shirts I can only wear under sweaters because they appear to turn to tissue paper when I wear them.

A nice long/tall one would also be good as I am 5 ft 10. Thanks!

MrsApplepants Sat 04-Feb-17 01:32:39

For many years I was on a quest for the perfect white shirt. I found the answer. I buy men's shirts from Lewins or Charles Thrwhitt. Thick, crisp cotton, much, much better quality than any women's shirt, plus come in longer/ shorter sleeve lengths and plenty of length in the body.
As men's shirts are straight up and down in the torso, if slim fit is still too baggy, it is pretty cheap to have a couple of darts put in.

LiquoriceWheel Sat 04-Feb-17 01:47:57

Pieface I have the same problem. I was thinking of trying those classic shirts Boden makes in white but I'm not optimistic. Have you tried their white shirts? If I find they are good I'll report back.
place marking in the meantime.

Banderchang Sat 04-Feb-17 18:27:05

Could it be the bra instead of the shirt that's the problem? A nude bra won't show through a white shirt, but a white bra will. Apologies if that's obvious, but it was a revelation to me a couple of years ago!

BrownEyedLady Sat 04-Feb-17 19:05:42

I wear white or flesh tone vests under white shirts. Would that work?

Mominatrix Sat 04-Feb-17 19:09:54

J crew
Pink

specialsubject Sat 04-Feb-17 19:41:06

I was also going to suggest going bloke - as always, better made.

LiquoriceWheel Mon 13-Feb-17 08:47:28

Hi OP I received my Boden white classic shirt and it doesn't live up to what you asked for, unfortunately. It's ok. I can't see my bra through it. The material is quite thin and you can slightly see 'skin' through it iyswim. Muji have ultra thick button shirts but I haven't seen the colour white recently. I think I'll try the suggestions of tailoring a blokes shirt.

piefacerecords Mon 13-Feb-17 11:08:55

I came back to this thread at the weekend and tried on pinched one of DS's white shirts - it is totally non see- through and wasn't even an expensive one (FCUK - think it cost about £20) and it actually fit really nicely - I'm tall so the extra length in the body and sleeves was a plus.

Just hoping he doesn't decide he wants it back smile

AutumnalLeafs Mon 13-Feb-17 11:54:29

A nude bra won't show through a white shirt, but a white bra will

This^

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now