Talk

Advanced search

Smart office cover-up that isn't a suit jacket or cardigan

(16 Posts)
Clarabell33 Wed 01-Feb-17 08:27:36

Hoping you can help! I'm about to move jobs from a fairly casual office environment (jeans are ok except for external meetings, sort of thing) to a more formal one. I have enough smart dresses, tops and trousers, and a couple of suits, and no problem finding more.

What I need is a smart generic coverup for when it's a bit too chilly in the office to just wear a dress/top/smart jumper. The suit jackets I have are fine for looking smart, but are a bit uncomfortable so wouldn't sit wearing them all day. Cardigans are ok but a bit less smart than I'd like except when they're brand new, and I can't buy new cardigans every other week!

Is there something in-between a cardigan and a suit jacket? What is it, and where will I find it? Preferably washable too.

If it's got to be a cardigan, can anyone suggest one that will look smart for a reasonable number of washes? I need something in black, and a couple of other colours would be useful too...

Impala1980 Wed 01-Feb-17 08:30:02

A jersey blazer from Uniqlo? They're a mix between cardigan and jacket and really comfy.. come in a range of colours too.

Gardencentregroupie Wed 01-Feb-17 08:35:16

New Look have a range of inexpensive crepe blazers like this one in various colours. I would suggest the last photo in that link would be too casual for most offices though grin

ProseccoPoppy Wed 01-Feb-17 08:52:24

I have a cashmere poncho type thing for that. Which I see as across between a cardi and a pashmina (and feels like a socially acceptable way to wear a blanket in the office which is AWESOME)

amidawish Wed 01-Feb-17 08:59:22

Jigsaw here

bleughhh Wed 01-Feb-17 09:19:41

I like 'boucle' open jackets (no buttons or lapel) and never wear suits anymore. Put one of those (or a cashmere cardigan) over a dress or with a pencil skirt/cigarette trousers plus silky top. I saw a nice white one on the White Company website but Zara and Mango are normally good for them too... (sort of Chanel style)

bleughhh Wed 01-Feb-17 09:20:47

And Reiss are good for open cardigans (no buttons, more jackety looking) that wash well. Last day of sale today too...

9GreenBottles Wed 01-Feb-17 09:38:02

Sandwich do a great jersey blazer and softer jackets. I have about 5 different colours bought over several seasons usually in the sale but they are worth the full price:

www.gemini-woman.co.uk/item/Sandwich-Clothing/Essentials-French-Terry-Blazer/CUVS#.WJGrxnTfWf0

Clarabell33 Wed 01-Feb-17 09:39:25

Thank you! I'll have a look online and there's a Reiss and a Jigsaw near where I'm working today, so I might pop out at lunchtime...

ceeveebee Wed 01-Feb-17 13:42:29

Ive just ordered this from jigsaw
www.jigsaw-online.com/product/kimono-wrap-jacket/J30178_BK000

LiefieLiefie Wed 01-Feb-17 18:06:25

Zara have tons of those boucle jackets in the sale currently. Around £20 down from £70 odd.

fiorentina Wed 01-Feb-17 18:50:00

As above I wear boucle jackets a lot. Zara have them for a reasonable price or Jigsaw do some lovely ones that I hunt for in the sales.

RandomWordsandaNumber5 Wed 01-Feb-17 20:33:33

What about a Chanel style boucle cardigan jacket? Works with all sorts of outfits and always looks good.

Joneseygirl77 Wed 01-Feb-17 21:07:16

Has anyone got any links to boucle jackets or cardigans? Following this thread with interest as I'm desperate for a boucle cover up!

SeaRabbit Thu 02-Feb-17 13:35:59

I have this from Cos:

www.cosstores.com/gb/Women/Knitwear/Textured_knit_cardigan/46889-62315201.1#c-85346

they do similar in other colours - I've seen dark green. I wear it lots - it's good over dresses and trousers

fiorentina Thu 02-Feb-17 19:55:39

www.jigsaw-online.com/product/pressed-tweed-box-jacket/J30670_BK000
Or www.jigsaw-online.com/product/edge-to-edge-neat-jacket/J31191_BL010 are both nice and very useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now