Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help me get the right flat shoes.

(16 Posts)
bythewindsailors Wed 01-Feb-17 06:58:55

I need help - I am hopeless with shoes. I never know which styles to select to go with the clothes I wear. After years of trial and error, I have found that that for work, I like to wear straight, fairly narrow legged trousers that finish on my ankle or shortish skirts with a slight A-line that fall just above my knee. Usually wear the skirt with opaques. I wear looser jumpers or vest and cardigan with trousers or skirts. Clothes fairly plain, not keen on patterns. At home, I like skinny jeans.
I have a cupboard full of old and ugly shoes, which are long out of style and do not go well with the clothes I wear. I hate cheap shoes so looking to spend around £100-150 in total on two pairs of nice comfy shoes- 1 black, the other brown/ oxblood (think I prefer oxblood). Prefer flats as I need to walk and be on my feet a lot. Thinking loafters but need to choose the right ones so that I don't look like my granny. Are ballet flats a bit old fashioned and frumpy now? I get completely bewildered by the choice and invariably select something awful and old fashioned. Also no clue where to shop. I think with my simple clothes, the shoes need to be right. I am 5ft10, long legs, size 14 and size 8 shoe.

LindyHemming Wed 01-Feb-17 06:59:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bythewindsailors Wed 01-Feb-17 07:01:11

Posted too soon. Can anyone suggest some stylish flats that go with most things? Would be enormously grateful for some ideas as a starting point.

bythewindsailors Wed 01-Feb-17 07:02:54

Ooh, hadn't thought of brogues. Would they look a bit clumpy with a short skirt?

SavoyCabbage Wed 01-Feb-17 07:07:21

I wear brogues for work after my dd started high school and noticed they were the shoe of choice.

bythewindsailors Wed 01-Feb-17 07:46:50

I'll go to the shops on the weekend and try on some brogues. Any suggestions for good shops to try?

specialsubject Wed 01-Feb-17 10:06:19

Ballet flats make you waddle, look ridiculous and are really bad for the feet. Almost as laughable as fugly staggering heels!

A half inch heel ( said my physio) and a shoe that stays on without attention are what you want . like the men can buy.

Good luck, especially with size 8 feet.

whiteonesugar Wed 01-Feb-17 10:19:30

I wear loafers for work with similar stuff. I love mine but they aren't cheap as I get them from Russell and Bromley. You can get similar in office or dune

These might be too shiny but they go to size 8

www.asos.com/office/office-frazzle-tassle-patent-loafers/prd/6829887?iid=6829887&affid=14173&channelref=product%20search&mk=abc¤cyid=1&gclid=CPTYlt7V7tECFUaNGwodm2wKpQ

These are quite cool

www.office.co.uk/view/product/office_catalog/2,30/2636961064

PNGirl Wed 01-Feb-17 11:31:47

I love shoes like this:

www.clarks.co.uk/p/26123161

Kind of monk shoe/brogue shoe type style.

Or ones with a chunkier look:

www.clarks.co.uk/p/26111967

www.tedandmuffy.com/womens-shoes/loafers-and-slippers/black-leather/stanley/TMS80819.html?dwvar_TMS80819_color=2

If you could get away with Dr Martens they do some great options which look very cool with ankle length trousers:

www.drmartens.com/uk/p/originals-shoes-smooth-1461

sanitygirl Wed 01-Feb-17 12:00:00

Take a look at En Brogue's blog and instagram for inspiration - she writes about flat shoes and shows lots of great looks and styles enbrogue.com/

bythewindsailors Wed 01-Feb-17 19:33:53

Whiteonesugar- love the look of Russell and Bromley, bit above my current budget but i am happy to stretch it and pay a bit more for shoes that are comfy and last so will have a better look. I've ordered the shiny office loafers from asos- they are lovely and will be a bargain if they fit. I think they will go with loads of my clothes and I love the shininess of them.

I've had a pair of doc marten boots on my wish list for a while, they are the shoes of my youth - i used to live in them! I will give them a try, not sure if they will look a bit like clown shoes with my slim trews and massive feet but it's definitely worth a try.

Thank you all for the inspiration, I have a better idea of what to look for now. I'll be hitting the shops on Sunday to try some different styles and hopefully banish my ancient ugly shoes for good!

hecallsmebunny Wed 01-Feb-17 19:41:06

After an endless search for comfortable and stylish flats I recently got Red or Dead Rosie brogues from schuh. Just checked and they go up to size 8 in black at least...there are a few colours, including a lovely burgundy. I got khaki though as they were the only colour in the sale! Very comfortable and I think they look great with exactly the style of skirts and trousers you mentioned!

RandomWordsandaNumber5 Wed 01-Feb-17 20:30:22

Have a look at Clarks. They've really upped their game recently and I've had some really good and stylish boots and shoes from there. They have a good choice of flats, including brogues.

runningtogetskinny Fri 03-Feb-17 09:47:55

I wear loafers, brogues and have some fab baby pink Dr Martens! I wear them with skinnies and shortish skirts, they've been admired many times! So comfy toosmile

MumBod Fri 03-Feb-17 10:03:07

Clarks Hamble Oaks.

Pistachiois50pmore Fri 03-Feb-17 10:15:18

I would get a pair of Bass Weejuns loafers. My friend has them and the quality is amazing. They will last loads longer than Topshop or Office shoes.

www.ghbass-eu.com/women.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now