Talk

Advanced search

Wedding outfit for an out-of-shape 40-something with bad hair

(8 Posts)
KathyBeale Tue 31-Jan-17 18:17:41

Just that really.

Off to a wedding in a few weeks with lots of much younger friends. I am mid-40s, size 18 (and not a curvy 18 - just a flabby one with a huge arse and floppy stomach and not much in the chest area) and had my hair cut too short a few months back and though it has grown, it's still not great.

I need something to wear that has sleeves and isn't too short or too clingy and won't make me feel awful for the whole time we're at the wedding.

I've found some dresses on M&S (to my surprise) but all the ones I like are BodyCon. Does this mean they're super tight? Nothing in Debenhams which is normally my go-to because everything is sodding sleeveless. And I'm not quite sure where else to look.

I have thought about trousers and some sort of top, but worried I'll either look like a waitress or the wedding planner.

Help me, wise fashionistas of Mumsnet. HEEEEEELP!

NewPantsforaNewYear Tue 31-Jan-17 18:41:24

What's your budget and colouring?

Would this sort of thing work? It has a nice draped front and sleeves.

Laiste Tue 31-Jan-17 18:54:22

www.simplybe.co.uk/shop/scarlett-jo-wrap-bodycon-with-flare-front/gw569/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=5205#colour:Fuchsia,size:

the scarlet and jo wrap dress in fushia. Doesn't look too clingy?

FauxFox Tue 31-Jan-17 18:56:40

cherry print dress
tailored jacket
red shoes
marvellous hat
Red lipstick
Done grin

user1485196412 Tue 31-Jan-17 18:58:25

What about a fifties style dress- full skirt would cover your back and you could choose a neckline to suit you. Have a look on the Lindybop website at some of the swing dresses for inspiration. They are mostly sleeveless but you could wear a cardigan or shrug?

KathyBeale Tue 31-Jan-17 20:54:30

Ooh I like the drapy one and the cherry print one (and really love that jacket) and I love the colour of the Simply Be one though I am not sure about the flounce. I will investigate Lindy Hop too.

I am dark blonde and fair skinned, and tend to only wear black. I might order a couple and see what they are like in real life.

KavvLar Tue 31-Jan-17 21:06:29

What about asos? Lots of options:

m.asos.com/asos-curve/asos-curve-red-carpet-satin-maxi-dress-with-drape-and-fold-sleeve/prd/6903152?iid=6903152&clr=Navy&SearchQuery=Sleeve%20Dresses&pgesize=50&pge=0&totalstyles=197&gridsize=2&gridrow=8&gridcolumn=2

m.asos.com/closet-plus/closet-plus-wrap-pencil-dress/prd/7534921?iid=7534921&clr=Navy&SearchQuery=Sleeve%20Dresses&pgesize=50&pge=0&totalstyles=197&gridsize=2&gridrow=24&gridcolumn=2

m.asos.com/asos-curve/asos-curve-mini-swing-tea-dress/prd/7103776?iid=7103776&clr=Black&SearchQuery=Sleeve%20Dresses&pgesize=35&pge=0&totalstyles=35&gridsize=2&gridrow=9&gridcolumn=1

KavvLar Tue 31-Jan-17 21:08:47

They have an excellent search function and you can even search for dresses with sleeves

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now