Talk

Advanced search

Are these dresses too similar

(39 Posts)
StillRunningWithScissors Tue 31-Jan-17 15:47:32

Hope you can all help. Been chatting w family member due to be married soon. I've just received my dress for the wedding today and love it (it's the second image/screen capture, not the one with a person modelling/darker dress).

I wore a similar style dress to another family wedding, and the shape of it suits me well. I can also use the petticoat thing from the first dress.

I excitedly sent the image to family member. She joked I will almost match the wedding party (see dress one). I told her I was more than happy to change my dress if she thought they were too similar. She is fine/doesn't mind.

I don't want to look like I'm trying to edge into the wedding party though.

She is lovely, and I don't want to make it something that niggles.

I do love the dress though, and I find it quite hard to find things that fit me well (short arse with hips/boobs).

Help!

MrsFionaCharming Tue 31-Jan-17 15:49:03

It is quite similar, maybe swap it for one with the same shape but a non floral pattern?

nannyplumislostinspace Tue 31-Jan-17 15:49:21

They look very similar but the dress does not look like a bridesmaid dress.

Fuzzypeggy Tue 31-Jan-17 16:52:38

When bridesmaids have short floral dresses it's almost a dead cert that a guest will have something similar. Their issue not yours imo

StillRunningWithScissors Tue 31-Jan-17 17:42:38

Mrs Fiona I do have the same dress in a solid colour, but it's quite dark (I wore it to a winter wedding, this coming wedding is in the early summer). The other fabrics are quite wild prints (Lindy bop is the web site).
fuzzy and nanny that's the tricky but, I think my dress would be fine, if I wasn't aware of what the BMs are wearing. The bride is SO far from bridezilla, so I think she probably is genuinely ok.

But if someone at the wedding suddenly mentioned the similarity, I'd feel uncomfortable. Sigh.

Fuzzypeggy Tue 31-Jan-17 17:47:06

If you'd feel uncomfortable then best to change I suppose. I do think it's unfair though. You're not wearing a bridesmaid dress, the bridesmaids are wearing wedding guest dresses!

ErrolTheDragon Tue 31-Jan-17 17:50:36

Presumably you'll have distinctly different accessories though? I wouldn't worry about it if she says not to, it's a lovely dress.

Spam88 Tue 31-Jan-17 17:53:20

I think they're different enough, and I really can't imagine you'll be the only guest in a flowery dress.

perfectlybroken Tue 31-Jan-17 17:58:29

I love the pattern on your dress, but I think it is too similar, entirely your choice if the bride doesn't mind, but I would feel a bit awkward. Could you instead find a skirt of a similar style and wear with a plain top? I think you should keep the dress for another time though, It's lovely!

TataEs Tue 31-Jan-17 18:36:52

they're not that similar imo. like i wouldn't even think 'oh those dresses are a bit similar' let alone think you were wedding party!
summer wedding? 40% of all women there will be in knee length floral numbers. don't change it unless u live something else more

NewPantsforaNewYear Tue 31-Jan-17 18:46:20

You could start the day in a short, bright jacket which you take off later on. That way, when people initially see you, you'll look quite different from the bridesmaids, (presuming they'll be wearing wraps or no cover up at all.)

StillRunningWithScissors Tue 31-Jan-17 18:56:06

New pants actually, that is a really good idea! By the time the jacket came off, everyone will be pissed quite merry.

Hmm, might go for it then. Either way I am definitely keeping the dress, bought it on sale for £15.00. I'll keep an eye out, for something else in the meantime, and then have this if I don't find something (and go with the jacket idea).

Thank you, you lovely people.

ChishandFips33 Tue 31-Jan-17 19:00:01

Gorgeous dress!!

I think yours being pale makes a big difference - the bright jacket is a great idea!

NewPantsforaNewYear Tue 31-Jan-17 19:11:19

This sort of jacket in the bright pink would look great and definitely be different enough from the bridesmaids.

burnishedsilver Tue 31-Jan-17 19:28:25

Personally, I wouldn't wear it. Its too similar.

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Tue 31-Jan-17 19:35:26

Like a pp said, a jacket would make it look un-bridesmaidy- and a hat maybe if the wedding is formal enough? It's a lovely dress smile

hecallsmebunny Tue 31-Jan-17 19:39:21

I think they look completely different apart from being a similar shape, which is very fashionable at the moment. Your dress is also much nicer! Wear it and enjoy OP

LumelaMme Tue 31-Jan-17 19:41:00

Do you mind me asking where you got it? That cut would really suit DD (who is very short of decent clothes as she hates shopping!)

coxsorangepippin Tue 31-Jan-17 20:10:15

Also you could skip the petticoat, to make the shape less similar. Lovely dress!

HaPPy8 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:16:02

i don't think they are similar at all!!

StillRunningWithScissors Tue 31-Jan-17 22:00:47

Lumela I got it from Lindy bop here think they only have size 6 left. If you search the Audrey style, they have lots of other fabrics.

Thanks everyone

StillRunningWithScissors Tue 31-Jan-17 22:02:03

New pants thank you, have been searching for a jacket... that one is great!

OlennasWimple Tue 31-Jan-17 22:02:57

Wear it with a pill box hat

celeryisnotasuperfood Tue 31-Jan-17 22:48:57

Check what colour the bridal party are accessorising to make sure you go completely opposite for your jacket!
It's a gorgeous dress...

PacificDogwod Tue 31-Jan-17 22:51:15

Similare style of dress, but v different pattern - I'd go for it.

Enjoy the wedding! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now