Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for skincare products...acne prone but ageing skin

(9 Posts)
applepatch Mon 30-Jan-17 15:02:17

Would love to get some recommendations for skincare products, I've always had hormonal acne prone skin but it's also ageing and a bit dehydrated...nothing too expensive. Any suggestions?

FrizzBombDelight Mon 30-Jan-17 15:06:42

The Ordinary retinoid 2%serum! Cheap as chips and works for acne and ageing.

MrsEricBana Mon 30-Jan-17 15:24:55

Ooh yes I do. This is me. A week ago I read a skincare special in the Sunday Times and it recommended products with salicylic acid for acne prone skin, particularly Burts Bees Anti-Blemish Facewash (really cleans pores, unblocks, helps blemishes clear and prevents new ones). So I bought this on Tues(£8-11) and I kid you not, my skin looks and feels really different already. I am so pleased as I've tried loads of things. Anyway, this is 1% salicylic acid, so I have also bought a Neutrogena version called Visibly Clear Spot Clearing Facial Wash (£4.49) which contains 2% salicylic acid - this may be a step too far as could be too drying. Anyway, I'm really pleased to have found something that seems to make a difference. (I think the point re salicylic acid is that it exfoliates and clears but is not abrasive so doesn't inflame the skin).
Hydrating wise I like Nip+Fab Glycolic wipes and good basic unscented moisturiser.
What do you currently use?

MrsEricBana Mon 30-Jan-17 15:26:11

Ah I'd wondered about retinoids Frizz - they were mentioned in same article. I use Retinox a few years ago and made my face red ans scaly so was put off.

applepatch Mon 30-Jan-17 15:37:17

I currently use the neutrogena scrub wash but I have wondered about it drying my cheeks and forehead out too much...plus even my acne prone chin looks dry!
Other than that, baby wipes or micellar water on occasion. My DD is 7 months and I'm having a hard time transitioning from someone who used products and took time to never wears make up and barely moisturises her face blush

Bleurghghghgh Tue 31-Jan-17 06:10:09

Scrub wash?! Noooooo

Go to Caroline Hurons' blog. It's overwhelming at first but have a look at the cheat sheets - particularly the cleansing one.

Battenburg1978 Tue 31-Jan-17 07:38:47

I also have acne prone aging skin (aging faster than ever after DD arrived!) and I use Murad renewing cleanser. It's £35 in M and S for a big tube, which sounds expensive but it's a really big tube and will last me for 6 months (using once a day) so the cost per month is much less. Then I just use Lidl Q10 day and night moisturisers - they're not too fragranced so don't set off any breakouts. I haven't felt the need to use a scrub since starting to use the Murad in 2013 smile

dibly Tue 31-Jan-17 09:52:38

Similar skin, mid 40s and started using nip fab dragons blood cleaning pads and hyaluronic shot, along with loosely following Caroline Hurons routine and skin seems much more hydrated with no breakouts.

applepatch Tue 31-Jan-17 10:03:58

Thanks all, seems to be a lot of people talking about Caroline Huron I'll have a read at the site for sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now