Talk

Advanced search

Reasonable age to start shaping eyebrows?

(39 Posts)
WantedDeadorAlive Sun 29-Jan-17 21:33:00

I won't give my DD age as I want to gage opinions.

DD has inherited both mine and DH strong, dark and bushy eyebrows. She has a lot of stray hairs etc but no monobrow.

She has started to make noises about sorting them out, she is however still very young.

I don't want her to start plucking them and would much rather they were professionally threaded/waxed first.

Although I know (by experience) it is a right of passage to fuck them up in your teenage years, at what age do you believe is reasonable to begin? Is there an age limit at salons?

YouWereRight Sun 29-Jan-17 21:37:49

I'm almost 30 and I've never done anything to mine smile

CointreauVersial Sun 29-Jan-17 21:41:17

My DDs started doing their eyebrows at around 13. They are both now masters of the "on fleek" brow (it's all YouTube - nothing to do with me!), although DD1 has come with me to have her eyebrows threaded on a couple of occasions.

Sparklingbrook Sun 29-Jan-17 21:43:31

As soon as they ask, especially if it bothers them.

FanSpamTastic Sun 29-Jan-17 21:44:13

Dd2 was 13, Dd1 not bothered and has no interest!

Maverick66 Sun 29-Jan-17 21:44:36

Hi OP,

I took my DD when she was 11 and just had them tidied up.
Not drastically just got them waxed to remove bit that made it look like a uni brow and a few strays underneath.
DD is now 24 and a beautician by trade and thanks me for never allowing her to '"mess" with her brows.

everdene Sun 29-Jan-17 21:45:36

I have several friends whose mums took them to a beautician pre-secondary school to wax off moustaches or monobrows. And one friend who asked her Mum when she was nine if she could sort her eyebrows (she is Mediterranean with olive skin and lots of curly hair).

It's easy to say not to touch it until aged 16 or whatever, but if it is noticeable and affecting your daughter's confidence, I would think about talking about positive body image and if she still wants it done then consider it.

I remember doing PE with no bra, pubes etc when others in the class hadn't hit puberty and it was just humiliating. If your daughter is dead-set and has hit puberty, I'd think about letting her.

WantedDeadorAlive Sun 29-Jan-17 21:46:05

I agree with her that they will need to be tidied at some point, otherwise they will take on a life of their own!

In my youth the thinner the better (have paid for that!) at least the fuller brow is on trend.

TwentyCups Sun 29-Jan-17 21:47:52

Take her to get them threaded don't let her do it herself!
If she's old enough to be bothered she's old enough to have them tidied. Don't let her pluck them she will likely ruin them and it can cause ingrown hairs.
I plucked mine to death between 11-14 how I wish I'd been allowed to have them threaded once a month. It's only around £4

BackAwayFatty Sun 29-Jan-17 21:51:51

As soon as they decide they want it done & want to withstand the discomfort.

I remember getting my lip waxed relatively young, maybe 11.

I will do the same for my daughter when it comes - she has inherited my dark hair.

WantedDeadorAlive Sun 29-Jan-17 21:54:30

I have mine threaded. I used to pluck mine as a kid- disaster! Uneven and about 2 strands thick hmm My brows are generally really nice now but are a little sparse on the inner sides due to the overplucking.

Reality16 Sun 29-Jan-17 21:55:52

Mine was about 12 when she asked and has had them threaded monthly ever since. I probably would have let her have them done sooner if she had asked.

Specialagentblond Sun 29-Jan-17 21:55:52

I'd probably remove as little as I can get away with - it might just take plucking a few thick ones and trimming any spikes with nail scissors to make them acceptable but natural.
See how that goes and if she is still unhappy then go to a salon, but you will have to keep on top of it which is another commitment and expense.

dementedpixie Sun 29-Jan-17 21:56:24

Dd was 11 I think. I over plucked mine for years so don't want dd to do the same

AliceThrewTheFookingGlass Sun 29-Jan-17 21:57:44

I think I started doing mine when I was about 13.

Eyebrows seem to be a huge deal at the minute, particularly with young teens. I accidentally became a member of a beauty group on Facebook that a lot of young teens/teens use. It seems to be totally unacceptable to have eyebrows that look even remotely natural. They need to be very noticeably caked in makeup to look 'fleek'

WantedDeadorAlive Sun 29-Jan-17 22:00:41

Off to google the fleek.... am I going to be
disturbed?

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 29-Jan-17 22:01:48

I was 11. My mum was against it but I had a mono brow & was teased by the cool girls.

TwentyCups Sun 29-Jan-17 22:13:32

You don't have to keep up with threading. I sometimes skip a month, they grow back slower and finer each time. If you go once and never go back the hair will simply grow back how it was before - it doesn't grow back patchy like tweezing IME anyway smile

WantedDeadorAlive Sun 29-Jan-17 22:40:30

When the time is right- still undecided I will be taking her to a threading bar. If I felt confident plucking them myself I would, but I can't even tell if the Christmas tree is up straight!blush

DD is still at primary school, 10 years old (just).

PickAChew Sun 29-Jan-17 22:44:01

I do have monobrow tendencies and my mum helped me to start taming them when I was 10.

(Unfortunately, I had to beg her to let me shave my equally out of control legs at 13)

PickAChew Sun 29-Jan-17 22:48:18

And mine have never grown back finer!

My mum ruined hers plucking them 70s thin, though, so was carefuly to teach me to just tidy mine - only pluck underneath and follow the guide in Jackie about in between, with the pencil line from your nose! (this was 1980!)

When the boys look puzzled at me plucking my eyebrows, I explain to them that I'm stopping them from meeting in the middle and having a wild party!

WantedDeadorAlive Sun 29-Jan-17 23:02:28

I'm thinking of waiting until the summer break before she starts high school. That will bring her up to 11.5years old.

I will consider earlier if she does start to get teased. She hasn't mentioned this as an issue. She loves applying makeup- her way of playing at the weekends (she doesn't wear it outside the house) so pays a lot of attention to her features! She is happy And has no problems with body image- she's just picked up that she has unruly eyebrows!

SnipSnipMrBurgess Sun 29-Jan-17 23:20:18

I have always swore when I have kids that of they need anything, they get it within reason. My mam didn't give us pads, deodorant, any hygiene products. We weren't allowed shave our legs, our secondary school had a short skirt no tights rule so that was absolutely embarrassing. It's all well and good to say it's not good for their body image but my theory is its even worse for them to have to be teased or feel like shit about themselves.

skippy67 Mon 30-Jan-17 07:27:50

Dd has been getting her brows threaded since she was 11. She has beautiful thick brows. The threading is just to maintain the shape.

Only1scoop Mon 30-Jan-17 07:30:55

I have what you describe, and I started handing them done at about 13/14 after awful attempts myself at home to tame them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now