Talk

Advanced search

Sick of everything being too short - Help!

(3 Posts)
Sentry70 Sun 29-Jan-17 17:49:56

I am so fed up of not being able to get clothes to fit, I am ready to scream. I'm 5ft 7 and a size 16 with a 34 FF bust - a bit taller than average, but not hugely so and quite booby I guess. Now here's my problem - every pair of knee high boots stops at the fattest part of my calf, because my feet are a size 5. If I were a size 7 they would be long enough, but I'm not, so they make my legs look chunkier because they're not long enough. Every dress I buy, the waist band sits well above my waist, almost under my bust. If I buy empire line, it cuts unattractively across my boobs and I can't go up a size as then it falls off my shoulders (which are surprisingly small for my size). Most dresses finish above my knees, which are not my best feature. Clothes that fit are so few and far between that I am constantly making do and feel uncomfortable most of the time. I don't understand it! I'm not super tall, why does this keep happening? Have I got the strangest of body shapes? Does anyone else have this problem?

Fozzleyplum Sun 29-Jan-17 18:18:45

I'm 5'8" and a size 10-12 and I sympathise! I'm quite long in the leg, but I have size 8 feet, so boots do tend to be a bit longer. Nevertheless, it takes me ages to find new boots that come high enough up my calves.

The shortwaisted clothes issue occurs, I think, for several reasons. First, most high street clothes are made to fit an average of about 5'5". Secondly, the thinnest part of most women is immediately under the bust and, on the whole, the average female shape is changing. The manufacturers would sell fewer clothes if they fitted on the waist, because for a fairly high proportion of women, that is a problem area they want to skim over. Thanks Gok Wan!

Finally, we are getting used to seeing the high waist/above knee hemline combination, as it's good for disguising legs which are not as long as they might be. If you dress so that the fabric skims where the legs start, it gives the illusion of longer legs. Kate Middleton does this to very good effect, and the clothes manufacturers copy.

Drives me mad, too, as I look as though I've grown out of clothes that are cut like that.

CallarMorvern Sun 29-Jan-17 20:46:18

I'm 5'10 (long torso, 32" legs) and don't wear dresses as the waists always end up under my bust. You might want to look at Long Tall Sally, even though you aren't that tall, just for the long body, then shorten the length.
I have to admit I've found clothes buying a lot easier these days, I had the choice of M&S or nothing for trousers/jeans when I was a teenager, as they were the only retailer to do different leg lengths. Needless to say I was not the most stylish teen ... meh. Now I have no trouble and can pretty much wear any brand. Tops also seem a lot easier, I'm size 14, 34e and today I'm wearing a Tu vest, Peacocks long sleeved T and Country Casuals jumper, all are long enough. I also wear Gant, Kew, some Boden though they can be short. My one and only dress is a lace fit and flare Peacocks and it is perfect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now