Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of these necklaces?

(39 Posts)
happyfeet1 Sun 29-Jan-17 17:32:02

I posted a few weeks ago about my fast approaching 30th birthday and my parents saying they would buy me a nice piece of jewellery.

I wanted something simple and elegant that I can keep forever and wear with anything.

Some ladies on here gave me come great suggestions. I decided that I wanted diamonds, either earrings, bracelet or necklace.

What do you think of these 2 necklaces? The round one is 1/3 carat and the square 1/4 carat. I think I liked the round one better in real life, it seemed brighter and I like the chain better. Is the square a more classical cut though?

These look like a bargain compared to what I've been looking at, I thought I'd have to get a 9k gold one when I really wanted 18k gold.

Ideally I would have loved a necklace and bracelet set but I've no chance with my budget. I asked the jeweller if I could come back and get a similar bracelet if I wanted to in a few years and he said no, you usually buy in sets if you want them to match (which he doesn't have by the way).

Or am I being silly blowing my whole budget on one thing?

ilikepinacoladas Sun 29-Jan-17 17:38:50

I much prefer the round one. I like the idea of a timeless piece of jewellery and I think one expensive thing you keep forever is a much better idea than lots of small things that will be forgotten.

catwoman0815 Sun 29-Jan-17 17:43:02

I think they look dated rather than classy and timeless. Sorry

happyfeet1 Sun 29-Jan-17 17:43:06

Thanks ilikepinacoladas.

I'm just thinking I could get a decent bag, pair of designer sunglasses and perfume for all that money though, but then they won't mean as much to me.

happyfeet1 Sun 29-Jan-17 17:44:07

Catwoman any suggestions of something else?

catwoman0815 Sun 29-Jan-17 17:48:24

No idea OP. My last silver earrings of Amazon were a fiver. That's the kind of budget I shop with. No idea about expensive stuff really. But if I had £500, I would probably looks for a good watch.

NewtScamandersNaughtyNiffler Sun 29-Jan-17 17:52:03

I agree with catwoman sorry but most of my jewellery is handmade by me (nothing special) or sterling silver.

Roystonv Sun 29-Jan-17 17:56:35

I like the square one but think both chains are dated/ugly, you want the stone to stand out and the chain just to do its job in both of these the chain dominates, try the stone with a different plain fine chain and I think you would end up with a lovely keepsake.

happyfeet1 Sun 29-Jan-17 17:58:04

Thanks for your opinions. Silver looks awful on my skin tone it needs to be gold really, I like rose gold but I worry that will date eventually.

These photographs really do the necklaces an injustice, they were dazzling.

I looked at Links, Thomas Sabo, bands like that but they are all gold vermeil and I'm paying for the brand aren't I?

Looked at vintage sights, all the things I liked are way out of my budget.

dibly Sun 29-Jan-17 17:59:23

www.goldsmiths.co.uk/9ct-White-Gold-0.21ct-Diamond-Snow-Flake-Pendant/p/12142591/ This is lovely

happyfeet1 Sun 29-Jan-17 17:59:37

Roystonv I don't mind the one with the round stone but no, I don't like the chain on the square one but the stones were taking my attention from the chains completely grin

Trollspoopglitter Sun 29-Jan-17 17:59:52

No to both - they look fake. You want a very dainty, barely there sort of chain to make the diamond stand out

ArriettyClock1 Sun 29-Jan-17 18:00:03

I think they are both just horrid, sorry. They look like something from the 80s.

Why not try Links or Tiffany for something a bit more contemporary, if it's a keepsake you want.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 29-Jan-17 18:00:02

They look very 1990s in my opinion, really dated.

ginsparkles Sun 29-Jan-17 18:00:03

I work in a jewellers, my preference would be the simple claw set pendant, more classic will last a lifetime but I would change the chain. Hayseed chains do nothing for me at all.

happyfeet1 Sun 29-Jan-17 18:03:55

I don't like the chain on the claw set one. The one with the round stone is a bit thick too isn't it.
Ahh if only I could afford something gold from Tiffanys!

habibihabibi Sun 29-Jan-17 18:21:20

I had a jeweller make a version of this Tiffany necklace for less than £500. The chain is almost invisible and the bezel set makes the diamond almost float.

They're both something I'd expect to see on a much older woman who had had them a long time. On a 30 year old? Never!

Get something made.

Also, with any decent jeweller (not just a mass produced highstreet seller...) you could have a matching item made at any time you wanted

ginsparkles Sun 29-Jan-17 18:37:15

The jewellery should offer to change the chain for a different kind for you if you liked the claw set pendant

ginsparkles Sun 29-Jan-17 18:37:32

jeweller not jewellery

catwoman0815 Sun 29-Jan-17 19:28:26

OP, you actually seem to be rather undecided and only want to get something as your parents have offered this as a birthday present. I actually wouldn't want to spend this kind of money just because my parents have offered without me really wanting anything. I mean this kindly.

Can you not set the money aside and treat yourself to something when you really see something you like? Jewellery or otherwise?

rollonthesummer Sun 29-Jan-17 19:32:17

Sorry to seem rude but they both look like all of the chains in the local pawnshop. Chunky, yellow and old fashioned.

I'd go for something different but it's not about what we like, if YOU love them then go for it.

happyfeet1 Sun 29-Jan-17 19:54:10

I am very undecided catwoman I feel like I won't get this chance again for a while (another 10 years? grin).

I'm not offended by anyone's opinions, I'm glad my attention was drawn to the chains actually because I wasn't paying much attention to those, just the stones!

I wonder if I should get earrings and some bits of crap that I want that are not keepsakes.

I'll carry on thinking...

Thanks everyone.

Stormwhale Sun 29-Jan-17 19:58:11

The chains are definitely too chunky. Something you are going to wear every day should be light and dainty I think. They are too clunky.

catwoman0815 Sun 29-Jan-17 20:30:02

what kind of jewellery do you typically wear? what is your style in general?

if you cannot decide, and it must be jewellery, I would go for some diamond stud earrings. But that is me grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now