Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have any Energy Boosting tips cos DH and I feel old and completely knackered

(52 Posts)
AndShesGone Sat 28-Jan-17 19:46:07

40's. Totally tired after a couple of hours of ambling.

Really, really low on energy.

Willing to consider any smoothie/supplements/food/exercise ideas.

Tips very gratefully received smile

SimplyNigella Sat 28-Jan-17 19:50:00

I have a pint of water with Berocca and Spatone, followed by a Nutribullet with lots of green vegetables every morning and it makes such a difference to my energy levels.

AndShesGone Sat 28-Jan-17 19:52:17

Thanks smile
what as an example do you put in your smoothie? I've just bought a nutri bullet and not got it out the box yet

I've not heard of spa tone but I have heard of berocca, I think I had some when I was ill a couple of years ago - is that a sort of fizzy tablet?

notagiraffe Sat 28-Jan-17 19:58:48

Vitamin D spray. Life changing energy booster.
Floradix or Feroglobin liquid iron tonics
Tyrosine amino acid supplement

I take these every day and haven't had that shocking tiredness I used to have all winter.

Also I take First Defence before commuting. Haven't had a cold yet this winter.

I used to feel permanently shattered. Barely able to move or get out of bed. Pretty sure it's the Vit D spray that helps most, though Tyrosine was incredibly helpful at getting out of that run down feeling.

And drink loads of water.

SimplyNigella Sat 28-Jan-17 19:59:25

That's right, it's an effervescent tablet and the vitamin c in it helps absorb the iron from the Spatone (I find this much gentler on my stomach than iron tablets).

This morning my Nutribullet had a third frozen spinach (straight from the freezer to keep the whole drink chilled), a banana and then a frozen tropical fruit mix with mango, pineapple, kiwi and papaya. I then add water, oat milk, chia seeds and root ginger.

misshoohaa Sat 28-Jan-17 20:02:20

Definitely a vitamin D supplement, it's really hard in the UK during winter to keep your levels up.

ChishandFips33 Sat 28-Jan-17 20:12:18

We've been feeling like that too - similar in age!!

Calcium and vitamin D supplement - I buy the higher strength stuff. (Comes in a box from the supermarket, cannot for the life of me remember the brand!)

The dose is equal to the ones I got prescribed

Massive difference when I remember to take them

AndShesGone Sat 28-Jan-17 20:18:37

I am starting such a long shopping list

I thought we might be getting our vitamin d just from dog walking every day but I don't think there's really enough light getting through my hat, gloves and 5 layers grin

Makinglists Sat 28-Jan-17 20:27:30

I can nap for England I get so knackered. The last few months I've tried vitamin d supplements ( I already take a standard multi vit and eat a pretty good whole food veggie diet) and I've noticed a real differenc. I still like my naps especially after lunch but I don't feel like I have to have them. I also notic I sleep better.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 29-Jan-17 09:19:02

I was going to say Vit D too, you're bound to be low on it by now. I get mine in superdrug.

notagiraffe Sun 29-Jan-17 09:48:42

If you're low on Vit D (sounds like you are) get the spray form of it, not tablets. Apparently it's absorbed much more quickly and efficiently into the body.

Celeriacacaca Sun 29-Jan-17 09:56:48

I'd recommend vit d too. You don't get it from the sun in the U.K. between October and March. My DS has just been diagnosed, via blood test, as being deficient. The doctor has put him on a high dose for 12 weeks and then low dose ongoing.

BIWI Sun 29-Jan-17 09:58:40

It might sound counterintuitive, but more exercise!

KatLovesCats Sun 29-Jan-17 10:21:17

100% agree with Vitamin D supplements. About 500iu daily. It's made the world of difference to me!

madmomma Sun 29-Jan-17 10:44:29

Where do you get the spray?

Sadik Sun 29-Jan-17 10:47:03

YY to more exercise - walking is great, but adding something a bit more high energy / shorter duration makes a massive difference for me.

Sammysquiz Sun 29-Jan-17 11:08:36

How much sleep do you get a night?

AndShesGone Sun 29-Jan-17 12:44:26

I have made a list of all the things to buy and am heading into town to track down a chemist.

I'm getting good sleep now and for the last month, before that I was getting up to take the dog for a wee during the night. I would say I'm mostly getting my full 7-8 hours and waking up naturally.

specialsubject Sun 29-Jan-17 13:00:16

assuming you are eating a good varied diet, rather than fart about with mushed up baby food, go see a doctor for some tests.

could be anything from carbon monoxide poisoning to heart problems.

if you are in good health you don't need supplements, you need food. If you aren't in good health, find out what you need.

notagiraffe Sun 29-Jan-17 13:56:09

special I used to believe that a healthy diet meant you don't need supplements. It's just not true. I've always had a really healthy diet but ended up in bed for almost a year, not knowing what was wrong with me. The biggest change for me have been Vit D spray and Tyrosine. They've kept me awake and energetic - got me back into full time work.

specialsubject Sun 29-Jan-17 16:16:34

Vit d quite possibly, new research. Other stuff may also be needed if op not in good health, like you. That is not something you fix by mushing up food and popping tabs from the ickle bunny shop. You go see a real medical person first.

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Sun 29-Jan-17 17:04:50

Which Vitamin D supplements do people recommend, please?

bingohandjob Sun 29-Jan-17 18:08:45

Brisk, fresh air, get your heart pounding walk for an hour a day - made huge difference to my skin, mental health, stamina and sleep. All weathers - I put the being cold and rainy walks as reason I haven't had any colds/flu for ages.

Newtoday Sun 29-Jan-17 18:20:29

This Vitamin D spray is great.

CallarMorvern Sun 29-Jan-17 20:32:35

Vit D, but I take that as part of a cod liver oil supplement. I also make a smoothie most days with veggies such as spinach,frozen carrots and fruit. If I'm run down I'll have some Berocca, though I have the Tesco equivalent. I'm trying to eat 'cleanly' at the moment, but I've found losing weight and exercising more makes a big difference to my energy levels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now