Talk

Advanced search

Tell me your make-up things to make skin completely magic-looking as if you are a unicorn

(18 Posts)
LilaoftheGreenwood Sat 28-Jan-17 17:51:45

I am joking obvs. Mostly.

I am happy with my skincare routine and have decent skin, it tends to oily but no breakouts, no wrinkles to speak of, but I'm 38 and starting to feel like I need a bit more help with make-up. I just look a bit tired and waxy and no longer in the first flush. I have got away for years with pretty minimal make-up (currently using a Garnier BB cream).

Inevitable I know but if you are similar aged what do you use to make your skin look dewy and "finished" and generally like it belongs to a live person? Could be primer, BB, CC, blush, illuminator, foundation anything really! I don't mind splurging but I'd like to do it with recommendations.

SandysMam Sat 28-Jan-17 17:53:58

Using clean and clear cleansing lotion has really made my skin glow...think it's a cheap version of an acid toner which seem to be fashionable! I love Bare Minerals too, makes skin up without looking made up.

LilaoftheGreenwood Sat 28-Jan-17 18:03:50

Ooh a 3 quid fix, hooray! Can definitely replace my morning cleanse (which varies anyway) with that.

I went to Superdrug today and stood in front of all the excellent cheap make-up and was overwhelmed. Does anyone do those contouring things? Does it help while not making you look like a 1940s actress everyday (not that this isn't a good thing sometimes)

ExcitedMamaToBe Sat 28-Jan-17 18:06:22

Nip + fab glycolic range is great! And always on offer in either boots or Superdrug

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Sat 28-Jan-17 18:08:21

I seem to be saying this every other day at the moment, but Benefit Dandelion is the absolute bee's knees of make up products to make you look more alive. Only any use if you are pale though.

Bluntness100 Sat 28-Jan-17 18:08:56

Well I'm 47 but have surprisingly good skin. I use Chanel perfection lumiere foundation and les beiges as a powder on my t zone, also Giorgio Armani highlighter under my eyes as a concealer and bobby brown rose brick shimmer for blush. I know it's expensive stuff but it lasts for ages and honestly I'm like a different woman when I put it on, all dewy skin. It is of course smoke and mirrors, but as I'm just off out shortly I've just done my face and blimey I actually look healthy 😂

LilaoftheGreenwood Sat 28-Jan-17 18:24:51

Remus I used Dandelion YEARS ago (and am pale) and loved it. I have no idea why I stopped buying it.

To Debenhams!

"Different woman" is basically what I'm after here yes... I may have to pluck up the nerve to approach the Chanel counter

PossumInAPearTree Sat 28-Jan-17 18:30:34

Nip and fab pads
Pixi glow tonic
Dandelion powder

I like Mac blusher
Makeup revolution highlighter
Bobbi brown foundation, the one with the dropper.
Mac primer

Misssss Sat 28-Jan-17 18:37:43

You need to work on your skin. If it's not fab then no matter what makeup you have on you won't look unicorn like.

I use a mixture of Korean skincare and The Ordinary products. Also hourglass mineral veil primer. It smoothes out your skin and makes you glow.

Buttwing Sat 28-Jan-17 19:11:21

I've started using the ordinary skincare and also invested some money in decent make up. I've also (sorry this is the boring bit) been drinking 3 litres of water a day, massively reduced sugar and not drank for most of January.
The best make up I've found to make me look dewy is

The ordinary primer
Chanel vita lumiere foundation
Charlotte tilbury bronzer and highlighter
Chanel blusher

Lots of people have commented on my skin recently and although it is a lot better since I e been double cleansing and looking after it, it's mainly down to the makeup.

SnowWhite33 Sat 28-Jan-17 19:41:50

Estée Lauder revitalising supreme CC creme, absolutely love love love it!
And Estée Lauder double wear stay in place concealer to cover any uneven skin.

Liiinoo Sat 28-Jan-17 19:46:43

I love Nip and Fab glycolic pads too but the thing that has made a massive difference recently is retinol. A cosmetic aesthician recommended it and it has been amazing. I am building up to using it every day as at first it can make you flaky/spotty (and it has) but the improvement in my skin tone in three weeks is incredible, it is smoother, more even toned, fresher looking. To the point that this morning I put my make-up on using the magnifying side of the mirror and only noticed when I got as far as mascara. And I am 55. I also recently bought a Sleek powder blusher in rose gold. It gives me a lovely fresh glow and only cost £5.

Products with retinol can be pricey and I am stingy so I bought this on Amazon.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015NM8LR8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=mumsnetforum-21

RipeningApples Sat 28-Jan-17 19:47:02

No7 foundation - cream, matt stuff in a pot for rubbing on
Concealer thing
Mixed light and dark blusher

Lancome brown mascara and pink lippy

No7 3 in 1 wipes. Eve before soap and water, morning when I get up.

Am 56 and have many faults but my skin is thankfully >>>whispers<<< genetic. Thanks mum and grandma smile

thethoughtfox Sat 28-Jan-17 20:42:44

Kevyn Aucoin contour powder. I saw it on one of those Youtube beauty gurus Nikkietutorials. She uses it in almost every single video. It is freaky: it just looks like a shadow and not like you have put a product on your face. It literally changes the shape of your face.

thethoughtfox Sat 28-Jan-17 20:48:58

Bluntness, I have been looking my whole life for pink glowy cheeks. Would the rose shimmer brick work on really pale skin. BTW apparently Benefit are making a shimmery Dandelion blush launching in June!!!

Backt0Black Sat 28-Jan-17 20:56:12

bravuralondon.com salicylic acid. Wow Wow Wow. £10. And after maybe 2 weeks use I caught sight of my previously bumpy, grey and 'blah' looking skin in the rear view mirror when driving and just thought whenthefuckdidthathappen!?! smoother and firmer and just ....better.

hollinhurst84 Sun 29-Jan-17 01:48:24

Niod photography fluid. Mix it with moisturiser, you only need a tiny bit. Instant glow

Etude house face blur. It's a primer, best bought off eBay as its a Korean brand. Sort of blurs and smoothes everything

I like makeup geek highlighters and blushes

Collection 2000 illuminating touch something concealer (it's got a built in brush) in shade 1 Naked. Looks scarily peach, hides all blue dark circles under eyes

LoveGigi Sun 29-Jan-17 07:25:04

For me it's been the Nars Tinted Moisturiser, such a good finish and just the right amount of coverage. I wouldn't be without it now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now