Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Botox - what happens if or when you stop

(9 Posts)
humanfemale Sat 28-Jan-17 16:48:43

A genuine question - I have been toying with the idea of having Botox for my forehead furrows for a few weeks and am still weighing it up.

I've read mostly good stuff here, but I have also read a few comments basically saying that Botox was great to start with, but started looking weird over time.

Can I ask anyone in the know to clarify what might have cause this weirdness over time? What specifically looked weird?

Also those who used to have Botox but decided to stop - would you say you look the same now as though you'd never had it (in other words, have all the effects worn off completely) or had it changed your face in any way?

humanfemale Sun 29-Jan-17 17:33:54

Anyone? Though I do see it's quite a niche question wink

Lorelei76 Sun 29-Jan-17 17:41:59

Only know of one person, who did it for years, stopped because her forehead started to look a bit lopsided. I don't know why that happens though and I can't ask because she's upset about it.

Softkitty2 Sun 29-Jan-17 18:05:00

Botox wears off after some time because your body natural gets rid of it because it is a toxin after all.. If you stop, the area will appear the same as if you never had it..
The trouble is people might think you look tired/older when it wears off,..

Suppose its like wearing make up everyday and suddenly you stopped so you will look different.

I always recommend getting one from a dermatologist.

gracearchersghost Sun 29-Jan-17 19:06:41

It got me out of the habit of frowning. And so, when the botox wore off, the frown lines were less prominent than before.

user1493033755 Tue 25-Apr-17 15:32:23

Botox injections is a non-permanent treatment lasting from 3-5 months. After this time it will begin to breakdown and dissolve. By not “topping it up” the face will go back to how it was before, with wrinkles forming from the muscle not being relaxed. This doesn’t mean you will have worse wrinkles than before your treatment!

CherylVole Tue 25-Apr-17 16:45:21

god user....55

you are OBSESSED with Botox thrads

user1493033755 Tue 25-Apr-17 17:02:31

Lol, just find it all interesting and like to help if I can

Ktown Tue 25-Apr-17 17:08:29

I think eventually you produce antibodies against the toxin and it stops being as effective.
It makes faces look odd as you get a smooth forehead and a wrinkly chin.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: