Talk

Advanced search

Whether to keep this bag.....

(35 Posts)
Maugrim Sat 28-Jan-17 11:05:49

So I'm looking for advice as I am being rubbish at making a decision. I bought this Dkny bag in the sale, reduced from £330 to £95. It was a bit of an impulsive buy as I don't need another bag but I thought given the reduction I would buy and store until my current black bag is worn out.

However that might be a few years and I'm needing reassurance to keep the bag or a reality check to send it back. So please help me with this first world problem 🙂

Hoppinggreen Sat 28-Jan-17 11:07:23

Keep it but use it, you can alternate with your existing bag

Maugrim Sat 28-Jan-17 11:10:56

Thanks hopping.

Might use it as my weekend bag and the other one I have for work..... though this does take me off my 'minimal' new year resolution 😛

EmmaWoodlouse Sat 28-Jan-17 11:40:29

It's a very smart and classic looking bag that will never look out of place, so I'd keep it. If you get rid of it and then eventually need a new one, you might not get anything as good as this for the same price again.

OlennasWimple Sat 28-Jan-17 11:41:57

I agree, I don't think it will date, so you can keep it for a few years before using it if you want

Aderyn2016 Sat 28-Jan-17 11:42:00

I really like it and for that price you should definitely keep it. I agree that you should use it though.

Maugrim Sat 28-Jan-17 11:55:15

Thank you everyone. I had hoped it might be classic enough to keep and Dkny is less faddy than some brands so should hopefully add to it not dating....

Floisme Sat 28-Jan-17 12:17:54

Sorry but I disagree. Not because there's anything wrong with the bag but because £95 is a substantial amount of money and I'd rather spend it on something that's going to give me pleasure right now, rather than at some unknown date in the future. Although the design does look pretty classic, things can date in ways we don't even imagine, until they happen. Or your job / lifestyle might change and render it defunct.

(And because I recently found some bargainous shoes I bought over 20 years ago, put away for when I needed them and then forgot I had them.)

Maugrim Sat 28-Jan-17 12:24:53

Ah florisme, you are the voice of reason. You are right £95 is a lot of money and that is why I have doubts. I usually buy a new bag every 5 years or so, when the old one is on last legs. Normally a bag like this would be out of budget as I would not spend more than £100 on a bag......

Mind vs heart in this one😞

JournosAreLazy Sat 28-Jan-17 12:27:48

There is no point keeping and not using it or waiting until your other bag is knackered. Keep it and use it if you like it.

BobbieDog Sat 28-Jan-17 12:30:30

I dont like the bag personally but £95 is nothing on a bag compared to mulberry etc.

My own mulberry bag cost £800

nothingwittyhere Sat 28-Jan-17 12:32:15

If you really like it (rather than liking its discounted price) then keep it and use it and donate your old one to charity while it's not a complete wreck.

DarkBlueEyes Sat 28-Jan-17 12:32:54

I love it. Keep it, and bin your other one, especially if it's looking a bit ropey.

Floisme Sat 28-Jan-17 12:39:34

Oh no I feel bad now. I kind of had the impression that you didn't particularly love the bag but thought it was a good buy. But maybe I got that wrong? If your heart is saying keep it' then keep it.

QueenMortificado Sat 28-Jan-17 12:44:20

Get a refund and buy a bench?

wink

(Keep it!)

leedspirate Sat 28-Jan-17 12:45:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Maugrim Sat 28-Jan-17 12:49:44

Thank you everyone. You are helping me get over the guilt of buying it and I am more on the side of keeping. I actually travel with work sometimes so it could make a good travel bag for dying right away. I love my current bag, from Whistles but also like this one a lot

Keeptrudging Sat 28-Jan-17 12:52:19

It's a lovely bag. I'd keep it and use it.

BusterGonad Sat 28-Jan-17 13:18:48

Keep it. If you can afford it and like it, keep it. Why not? Who just has one bag they like? I have 2 day bags and a few going out bags.

LadyOfTheCanyon Sat 28-Jan-17 13:29:07

I've got an almost identical DKNY bag and I really like it. It's far more smart than my normal style of bag and it's perfect for when I need a structured more ' businessy' look. You can get loads in it, too!
I'd keep it. I guess it only matters if the £95 could be put to "better" use elsewhere.

Maugrim Sat 28-Jan-17 13:36:50

£95 could always be put to better use, but necessarily more fun and thrilling use 😜

Thanks again for honest opions, I am now going to stroke and love my new bag 🙂

NC1nightstand Sat 28-Jan-17 13:42:35

I just want to know if it has that new leather smell!grin Also, how do you feel carrying it, does it make you feel happy? In my opinion it is a timeless design so will still look good in 5 years time, yes it is very structured but I don't think it has to be viewed as just a work bag.
I no longer keep things for best and £95 is a lot of money (to me) to spend on something that you don't plan to use for the next 5 years.
So, I would keep it and use it alternately with your existing bag if you really love it but if you only like it because of the money saved I would return it and spend the money on something that makes your heart sing.smile

NC1nightstand Sat 28-Jan-17 13:43:38

Oh, just read you've come to your conclusion! smile

Maugrim Sat 28-Jan-17 13:45:57

Thanks NC1, you do make good points. I feel the guilt as I could (should) spend on house things etc, but I know that it is very unlikely I will own a bag like this as the discounted price is a lot to me also, bus achievable. The original price is way too high!

BusterGonad Sat 28-Jan-17 13:48:03

👍🏼😍

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now