Talk

Advanced search

Ear piercing problem!!!

(15 Posts)
newstartamiready Sat 28-Jan-17 10:50:01

My dd has had her ears pierced twice in Claire's accessories! First time they didn't heal atall and we took them out! Second time we were advised she has thick ear lobes so had to have longer earring posts (why didn't they advise this last time). We also tried a different metal but only one healed well and the other day as pussy so she wanted to take them out!

Dd is now asking to get them done again! I just don't know what to do? I'm thinking perhaps a piercing shop might be better and might be able to give better information on what to do? Any thoughts confused

Rawhh Sat 28-Jan-17 10:54:46

Take her to a proper peircer. Who will properly advise the best course. Piercing with a needle is always the best way to get them done.

PepeLePew Sat 28-Jan-17 10:59:00

dd had hers done in our local piercing place. They were fantastic - everything was sterilised in front of us or newly unwrapped (even the pen to mark her lobes). He took ages cleaning her ears then positioning the needle.

TeaStory Sat 28-Jan-17 11:00:57

Take her to a professional piercer who uses a needle and implant-grade titanium jewellery. You will also get proper aftercare instructions there. Don't ever go to Claire's again!

PaperdollCartoon Sat 28-Jan-17 11:33:27

Take her to a proper piercer who does it with a needle, and will give you proper aftercare advice. NEVER turn a piercing. Should only be cleaned with salt water solution.
Ear piercing guns should be banned.

harleysmammy Sat 28-Jan-17 11:38:05

I wouldnt go to claires. I has my cartilage done their with a gun and / years later its still not healed and i cant sleep on it still. It wasnt until before Christmas when my dad had a tattoo in a tattoo and piercing shop, that the man told me its actually illegal to pierce anything other than the ear lobes with a gun. I had the other one done with them and it healed after 6 weeks. Definitely go to a proper piecer, they know what theyre doing 100 x more

newstartamiready Sat 28-Jan-17 12:09:51

Ok piercing shop it is, now to find one that's clean and nice! I guess I better get googling!

Although I always thought it would be better with a gun as it's quicker and less painful!

TeaStory Sat 28-Jan-17 12:24:42

Quicker a gun may be, but it's much more painful long term due to damage and poor healing. Whereabouts are you? Someone may be able to recommend a good place to go.

chloesmumtoo Sat 28-Jan-17 12:38:25

I looked into things concidering getting my daughters ears done years ago (we still haven't made the plunge) but the best advise and knowledge I had was from a long standing tattoo parlour and that is where I will take her to get done. I know our situation is different with allergies but was advised needle method with a titanium labrett piercing.

CateGory8 Sat 28-Jan-17 12:55:55

A sign of a good piercer is one that won't ever use a piercing gun. It has been understood that piercing gun can shatter the cartilage in the ear lobe. You will need to look for a piercer that will pierce by hand using a needle.

ChishandFips33 Sat 28-Jan-17 20:05:58

This explains my ear issues!

I had my helix done at Claire's 10+ yrs ago and it never healed well

I removed the piercing and gave up. It still hasn't healed

I've since tried again with it - I can get standard studs through it without issue.

In my ignorance I bought a couple of earrings specifically for the helix but they will not pass through - is it because it was done with the gun and therefore the hole is not wide enough??

TeaStory Sun 29-Jan-17 18:54:09

Chishandfips probably, although the hole might also have closed a little.

Most gun piercings are at 20G (0.8mm) or 18G (1.0mm). Earrings specifically for the helix will be 16G (1.2mm) or bigger. It may not sound a lot but it's enough to make a difference. If you want to keep the piercing, you might be best off seeing a piercer who can do it with a hollow needle.

@BeautyGoesToBenidorm is the expert.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 29-Jan-17 19:30:59

DD had here Helix done about 5 weeks ago.
Needle (green which I know from work is a larger gauge) in a sterile pack.

Saline (boiled up water and salt, she puts it in a spray bottle and squooshes it round)
No turning or twiddling.

DD said the only bit she felt was the actual earring going in not the needle.

She's already searching for new earrings for when its healed <<££ sigh>>

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 29-Jan-17 19:33:50

not larger gauge , larger diameter blush the gauge is the siral of metal to make the needle or something (higher gauge is more spirals or something)
Ignore me, ever other blighter does.
I just thought "Oh green topped needle= biggie. Don't tell DD"

ChishandFips33 Sun 29-Jan-17 19:45:36

Thank you...I'll check the size of the new earrings and look to visiting a proper piercer. It would be nice to have something in it finally!

I think if memory serves me right, I left Claire's with a standard sleeper in it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now