Talk

Advanced search

Spanx or other that will make me (specially my arse), a dress size smaller

(33 Posts)
nigelforgotthepassword Fri 27-Jan-17 18:47:39

....I'm generally a size 10 with a bit of a belly I want to pull in-nothing too disastrous-but more notably a size 12 arse that looks like a bag of porridge in a pretty Snug lace dress I want to wear to a ball in 5 weeks time.
I can lose a bit of weight before then but I'm going to need something sculptural to make my arse look less lumpy and fit in the frock-Spanx or similar...
Do they work? Are they worth it? Do you buy your own size or the size you want to be?
Dress is a Bardot neckline so whatever it is has to be strapless ideally...
Ta

StillRunningWithScissors Fri 27-Jan-17 18:51:55

I've found Spanx to be very good. I use the ones that have shorts type style to stop thigh rub as well.

The higher poet ones come up just below your bra, or you can get ones to sit at your waist.

I recommend you definitely get the size you are, if you go smaller you risk not getting them on.

StillRunningWithScissors Fri 27-Jan-17 18:52:42

Sorry, that should be higher power, not poet

parklives Fri 27-Jan-17 18:56:52

Buy the size you are not the size you want to be, unless you don't mind not going to the loo!
They are really good at sucking you in and flattening lumps and bumps. I have only used the dress type ones and it did ride up my legs all night, so maybe the shorts would be better?

NotTodaySatan Fri 27-Jan-17 19:01:37

I've given up on the pants/shorts style control underwear as they all roll down on me and are a bloody mare when it comes to peeing.

Recently bought a waist cincher and it's great. My gut is my issue and it sucks everything in round my belly but is worn with normal knickers + bra.

Not massively helpful in the arse dept though, sorry.

MarzipanPiggy Fri 27-Jan-17 19:06:31

Love Spanx. I get the tights which provide 'control' all the way from above waist to thigh level. No rolling down issues. The only issue I have is they cost about £35-40...

Bleurghghghgh Fri 27-Jan-17 19:07:22

I have a waist clincher which is better for actual slimming than my Spanx which work for smoothing... I've never tried both together but might do...

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Fri 27-Jan-17 19:27:03

Where are people getting waist cinchers from, please?

NotTodaySatan Fri 27-Jan-17 19:48:43

This is mine Remus.

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Fri 27-Jan-17 19:52:42

Thanks, Satan. I may need to try one!

NotTodaySatan Fri 27-Jan-17 19:56:49

I only wear it on my rare big nights out when I'm wearing a tightish dress. Can't be arsed the rest of the time. But it really does make a difference and is comfortable to wear so would highly recommend. For reference, I'm a 12 and have the L and it's the perfect fit, snug but not oxygen-depriving grin.

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Fri 27-Jan-17 19:57:21

Thanks again. Am a 12 too.

gnatgnu Fri 27-Jan-17 19:58:50

I have the Spanx tights too - worth looking in TK Maxx, I paid less than £5!

Wilberforce2 Fri 27-Jan-17 20:04:49

Any of them come up high enough to disguise back fat? confused

celeryisnotasuperfood Fri 27-Jan-17 20:07:37

i like the ones that are a bit bigger - mid thigh up to boobs so that they spread out and smooth over a bigger area. with smaller waist ones i had horrible back fat/waist spillage!

NotTodaySatan Fri 27-Jan-17 20:09:27

Yep Wilber, with the one I've linked, it meets your bra band and goes down to your hips, there's nowhere for the flab to escape from. It is all compressed instead of pushed out at some unfortunate point of spillage.

NotTodaySatan Fri 27-Jan-17 20:10:18

Although I'm quite short at 5'3 so perhaps have a compressed torso anyway 😂

Specialagentblond Fri 27-Jan-17 20:13:21

Those inch loss wraps apparently work as a very short term fix, not had one myself but someone I know swears by them.

nigelforgotthepassword Fri 27-Jan-17 20:14:04

Marzipan-tights? Like actual tights that also give you a nice arse??

LoupGarou Fri 27-Jan-17 20:34:43

My quick fix but not good for you fix is drink lots of green tea and black coffee on the day (stop about two hours before you need to leave though!!!) and then double or triple up on the shapewear. I used to wear one set of high knickers, which had cycle shorts type legs and came up to just below bra, and then a strapless bodysuit type one over the top. It worked wonders and gave a really smooth line under tight dresses.

whoisit1 Fri 27-Jan-17 20:36:56

I love spanx. They are expensive but so worth it

MarzipanPiggy Fri 27-Jan-17 20:54:44

These are the ones I get: http://m.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod107011_100010810106054600_-1

Athrawes Fri 27-Jan-17 21:00:20

I have a pair from M and S which come all the way up to my bra, have a grip edge to stop roll down, and end above the knee. Great!

Wilberforce2 Fri 27-Jan-17 21:00:43

Oooh thanks Satan! I'm not that tall either so should be perfect!

NotTodaySatan Fri 27-Jan-17 21:33:23

Yer welcome smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now