Talk

Advanced search

How would you dress a 1 year old for a wedding?

(19 Posts)
PostTruthEra Fri 27-Jan-17 18:19:28

I don't want to spend a huge amount, but it'll be my sister's wedding in late August and I don't know what to dress my then 13month old in. Given he has been slow on all his milestones, I imagine he will probably be crawling not walking.

Baby suits just don't seem practical or comfy, but he needs to look smart for photos.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Cakescakescakes Fri 27-Jan-17 18:26:20

I saw a lovely jersey version of a baby suit. It had soft trousers and soft top but with little braces. I hate seeing babies all trussed up but it looked as comfy as pyjamas but still very cute and smart. I think it was m&s or next?

squiz81 Fri 27-Jan-17 18:27:08

It may be hot them, I'd go for smart shorts with a short sleeved shirt.

I got some cute shorts from h&m last summer with braces attached. My d's wore them with a white shirt and some smart sandals.

EmmaWoodlouse Fri 27-Jan-17 18:30:46

I don't think he needs to be "smart" for the photos. He'll be a 1-year-old toddler. I'd aim for "cute" rather than "smart". At most, get him some soft, brushed cotton proper trousers rather than jeans, and a soft shirt with a collar (something like a polo shirt), but I don't think anyone minds in the slightest if small toddlers wear toddler-style clothes at weddings.

My boys never went to a wedding when they were quite as young as that, but when they were still fairly little (say about 3-6), I'd just dress them in "not jeans" and something with a collar. Because little boys don't wear that kind of clothes very often, you can often pick them up very cheaply and in perfect condition in charity shops. A little waistcoat, if you get get one and he's willing to keep it on, might be cute and signal that he's "dressed up", but I wouldn't match it exactly to the trousers, so he looks more quirky than "suity".

Fueledwithfairydustandgin Fri 27-Jan-17 18:31:09

The smartest I would do would be soft chinos or chino shorts (POP have some gorgeous soft but smart ones) and a soft shirt (joules or something) although I'd probably go for a plain long sleeved t shirt. DS wore a navy and white pin stripes fitted Benetton t shirt, chinos and red converse about that age. For my wedding I asked DM to dress my brother in cream cargo shorts, converse and a striped joules shirt. Babies in suits make me want to claw my eyes out

EmmaWoodlouse Fri 27-Jan-17 18:32:10

Alternatively, and especially if he's still crawling and looks more babylike than toddler-like, how about some rather old-fashioned rompers? It's different from his everyday look, but probably more comfortable than stiff formal trousers.

rabbitmummy Fri 27-Jan-17 18:32:53

Check out Marie-Chantal collaboration with M&S baby

PostTruthEra Fri 27-Jan-17 18:34:38

Thanks for all the suggestions. Off to google. grin

AmeliaJack Fri 27-Jan-17 18:35:19

I would say either a little shirt, knitted tank top and shorts or a pair of trousers, shirt and little waistcoat.

You just need to keep him mostly clean for any photos, after that it won't matter really!

electrasy Fri 27-Jan-17 18:49:49

Shirts are a total pain in the ass at that age. You can get lovely smart but soft cords in John Lewis or even supermarkets. I would have said a nice thin knit jumper but it's August so it's hard to think of a smart option other than shirt: there are some really nice and quite smart long sleeved tshirts with a couple of buttons or polos around. We got some recently from Sainsbury's which look pretty smart with nice trousers.

FishlessCake Fri 27-Jan-17 20:35:17

have a look at Emile et rose.

Flingmoo Fri 27-Jan-17 21:24:31

Here's what my son wore for a May wedding last year. He was just under 2 so a little older than your son. If you can't tell from the pictures, he's wearing chino style trousers (easier to find than "proper" suit trousers) with a shirt and bowtie and smart shoes. The shirt and bowtie were from Primark, I think they always sell at least one smart shirt/tie combo if you look around the store.

In August I guess it'll be hotter than this so I'm sure chino-style shorts would also be cute, and/or a short sleeved shirt. I'd be going for the Prince George as he always looks so cute in his little shorts and socks!

allthatnonsense Fri 27-Jan-17 21:27:45

Go for preppy but not too smart. I think that shirts and tie combinations on babies are ghastly.

I would go for navy chino, white shirt and navy Birkenstocks or T bar shoes with socks (like Prince George).

mumsnit Fri 27-Jan-17 21:32:18

My ds had just turned 1 when we got married a few summer's ago. Try the Monsoon sale as I found some bargains including a little linen jacket and trousers which he wore with a plain white t shirt. He looked mega cute but was cool and comfy in the hot weather!!

Doilooklikeatourist Fri 27-Jan-17 21:52:21

He needs to wear a sailor suit
sailor suit

ILoveDolly Fri 27-Jan-17 21:59:56

An old fashioned fancy romper suit with collar would look v cute. This one is bloody expensive but you get the idea

www.childrensalon.com/sarah-louise-white-linen-romper-hat-set-7668.html?__currency=GBP&___fdc=GB&gclid=CIiouYmp49ECFUPgGwodSRsO5A

Peppardew Fri 27-Jan-17 22:06:31

Have a look la redoute or vertbaudet. They have some nice things for wedding type occasions and always a sale or some other promotion on.

kindfriend Sun 29-Jan-17 22:30:04

When DS was small and we had to go to a wedding, Next did smart bodysuits that were like a long-sleeved shirt with a collar, but fastened under the nappy. He wore this with a pair of cords and a knitted tank top.

isittheholidaysyet Sun 29-Jan-17 22:39:51

I'd go smart (linen or linen-look) shorts in a dark colour and soft shirt or shirt like top with a collar.
Don't forget to think about a back-up outfit for the change bag in case of poo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now