Talk

Advanced search

It's another one of those: oh crap I've suddenly aged 10 years, threads. What are you ladies recommending at the moment? I could really do with some pointers

(42 Posts)
wemayhaveaproblem Fri 27-Jan-17 10:06:56

I'm 39. Usual story, looked pretty young for my age until v recently. Now, knocking on 40 and my face is falling apart. It's not that I've suddenly got loads more wrinkly, I just look crap. My hair looks awful (despite having had it highlighted recently) there are suddenly masses more grey hairs, my skin has gone all sallow and I'm developing that pinched bitchy resting face look. My lips seem to have shrunk. Doesn't help that we've recently moved to a rented house and there are just mirrors everywhere so I keep frightening myself! That might be part of the problem actually - it's possible I just hadn't had a proper look at myself for a few years. Had passport photos done this week and I look about 50 in them. And I've not even mentioned the bloody facial hair, honestly if I wasn't attacking it with tweezers I reckon I'd have a proper goatee.

Anyway, does anything work?! Not sure I'll ever be ready for anything involving needles (though at the rate everything's decaying who knows frankly). I have a fairly healthy lifestyle and enough sleep now the DC are a bit older.

I know it's all massively shallow - DH would be appalled if he knew I was obsessing about this stuff, he thinks its all very silly - but we are in style and beauty so hopefully people won't be too judgemental. I'm not trying to look 10 years younger, I'm happy to be turning 40, probably happier, generally, than I've ever been. I'm just a bit shocked by how suddenly my whole face is changing and would like to do something to slow things down a bit if possible.

lubeybooby Fri 27-Jan-17 10:19:39

I feel you OP, I'm 37 and been having this moment all weekend

I feel I have aged a bit prematurely due to terrible lifestyle, bad diet, insomnia, no skin routine, smoking and sun damage (quit all that and started being careful before age 30 but hammered it before then!)

I've spent the weekend watching youtube videos and buying stuff. I've spent over £300 on the things that have impressed me most (and things recommended in old MN threads too) and I shall report back if I have any joy

I suppose the one bright side of the fact that I sit with my left elbow resting on my desk and my left hand resting on my face which has resulted in the left side of my face having a huge wrinkle under the eye the other side does not have at all, is that I have a direct comparison for if any of this shit works...

lubeybooby Fri 27-Jan-17 10:20:42

week not weekend

brain losing it also. sigh

wemayhaveaproblem Fri 27-Jan-17 10:27:52

ah lubeybooby I currently have almost no money in my account otherwise I too would have been shelling out left right and centre for things that might sort out my face. There's so much advice out there though, it's all a bit overwhelming. I liked the sound of one of the 'beauty balms' that someone mentioned, I think maybe though I like the reassuring sound of the word balm. I also liked the sound of getting a facial brush, but there are so many to choose from... Basically though, I don't know where to start. Am losing faith that anything will make any difference. I've just made myself a hot water with lemon, small steps.

Please do report back on your new face rescue stuff.

Nancy222 Fri 27-Jan-17 10:43:34

I'm 45 and much happier with my skin now than a couple of years ago. The two things I swear by re: skincare are prescription tretinoin at night, and a Vitamin C serum in the morning (currently the Hylamide one).
Re: makeup, I love the L'oreal cushion foundation, and tubing mascara.

wemayhaveaproblem Fri 27-Jan-17 10:52:44

That's really helpful - thanks Nancy

retainertrainer Fri 27-Jan-17 11:24:32

If you're on a tight budget I'd recommend a trip to Aldi. The anti aging range in red/silver packaging is really great,it's definitely improved my skin. Obviously it's not going to get rid of deep wrinkles but it's plumped mine up and it looks hydrated. I think a very light tan (dove gradual tan) can help with that sallow look.

retainertrainer Fri 27-Jan-17 11:25:48

Oh yeh and water water water,so boring but it's cheap and it really does help.

NotQuitePerfect Fri 27-Jan-17 11:28:49

Looking at pics recently of myself/family members/friends who are all about the same age (much older than you OP!) and comparing to how we looked 5-10 years ago. Have come to the conclusion that those who look really good have paid attention to their hair (cut AND colour) and teeth (neglected teeth put years on an old face). Not suggesting for one moment that anyone here neglects theirs but I was quite shocked by how many women of a certain age think it's ok to have decayed, discoloured and missing teeth. And it's not due to lack of funds grin!

wemayhaveaproblem Fri 27-Jan-17 11:40:41

retainertrainer thanks v much - I"m not in the UK at the moment so no Aldi but will look into that when I'm back in April. In the meantime, I'll be paid so can buy some stuff over here - just trying to work out what.

Do you reckon the water drinking really works then? I thought it had been proved not to make a difference but I love the idea that it does have an impact!

Notquiteperfect - yeah, I think hair does make a big difference, which is why I'm a bit disappointed that so soon after having mine highlighted it's looking rubbish. Meh, maybe I just need to rethink my cut. I go through cycles of having it short and then growing it, and currently it's a bit in-between. My teeth are in pretty good nick but a little bit of whitening probably wouldn't go amiss.

retainertrainer Fri 27-Jan-17 11:57:11

It works for me and avocado too. I blitz half with milk,it makes a lovely smoothie. One of those every other day.

Destinysdaughter Fri 27-Jan-17 12:03:11

Eating lots of good fats can help too, things like nuts and avocados. How's your diet?

Rainbowglow Fri 27-Jan-17 12:03:46

I am not convinced drinking lots of water makes a difference. Its a good habit but I think eating your water through fruit and veg is far more beneficial. I also think a skin specific supplement is a good investment - though not cheap. I really would check out someone like Nadine Baggott. She is a beauty editor in her 50's and I feel she gives good advice. In terms of my must haves....a thorough cleansing routine - double cleanse, a good serum, spf, a mask once or twice a week, acids and retinol used as necessary.

friendlyflicka Fri 27-Jan-17 12:08:42

I think this is a very bad time of year for looks (and everything else!).

I know you are on a budget but Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser gets me looking better again however awful. And I also use those drops of clarins tanning stuff in my moisturiser.

Those are my instantaneous tips. I notice a difference immediately if I drink alcohol and over days if I eat too much sugar not enough good stuff.

friendlyflicka Fri 27-Jan-17 12:10:34

One thing I would say is that I am not 50, and look and feel better than I did at 40 (or not worse anyway in terms of looks!). I was running around after tiny children at 40 and now they are older I have more time and more sleep and that makes a vast difference

friendlyflicka Fri 27-Jan-17 12:10:52

'now 50'

mrwalkensir Fri 27-Jan-17 12:16:23

face exercises - they really work.

MakeItStopNeville Fri 27-Jan-17 12:28:33

I think it all comes down to looking after yourself, once you've hit 40. Exercise, proper diet and not much alcohol. A good haircut, a great moisturizer and yes to white teeth. And good genes help but there's not much you can do about that one!

MakeItStopNeville Fri 27-Jan-17 12:29:31

Oh and Bye Bye Undereye works wonders on tired eye bags.

myfavouritecolourispurple Fri 27-Jan-17 13:05:09

I'm nearly 45 and drink lots of water and eat lots of fruit and vegetables so my skin should not be too bad, and actually it isn't.

EXCEPT - I have goggle eyes from swimming. I am currently spending a fortune - not on anti-aging, or eye, creams, but on different kinds of goggles so that I can find a pair that (a) keep the water out and (b) don't make me have bags and horrible circles around my eyes. I have a pair that fit really well but they are really tight. Then I have another pair that have a bigger frame so you don't get the pressure on the sensitive bit directly below the eye, but they leak! I have another pair on the way so we'll see if they are any better.

jasmine1979 Fri 27-Jan-17 14:21:00

I would 2nd the idea of making sure there are plenty of good fats in your diet.
I recently went through a similar feeling that my body was falling apart and staying away from processed "low fat" foods made a huge difference. I feel like I have a glow back to my skin again. Eating plenty of coloured veg also helps a lot. I'd grown up with parents that thought any fat was the devil and think they are healthy because they stay away from fats so this was a revelation to me. What you put inside your body makes a massive difference and it's always worth looking at what actual nutrition you are getting.

I think a good haircut is important, but beware of it looking overstyled as well. I always think very styled helmet type hair is very aging.

In the evenings before bed just use a good lip balm. I like Nuxe reve de miel as it's quite matt and not greasy feeling. This should help plump your lips back up a little. I also like the basic Nivea lip care balm to apply in the day.

If you want a moisturiser to perk your skin up during the day Origins Vitazing is very good.I think Garnier also do a similar cheaper dupe called Miracle cream. www.amazon.co.uk/d/Skin-Care/Garnier-Skin-Naturals-Miracle-Cream-SPF20-Packaging/B0187DZ6NW/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1485526415&sr=8-1&keywords=garnier+skin+miracle+cream&tag=mumsnetforum-21

Don't worry about your passport photos. They make everyone looked washed out and grey nowadays. I wore a bright pink top in mine recently but it was washed out to a dirty brown in the photo! I also put on far more make-up beforehand in the knowledge that passport photos often make you look drab and it just had the effect of making me look almost normal. You'd never have even known I was wearing make-up in the photo. smile

Destinysdaughter Fri 27-Jan-17 17:34:12

The only reason I know about fats is that years ago I did the Atkins diet ( when high fat was v much derided ), and I was eating lots of cream, butter, avocados, nuts, meat etc) and I really noticed how glowy my skin looked. To the extent that someone at work that I hadn't seen for quite a while asked me if I'd been seen on holiday as I was looking so well!

It's funny that we put things described as cream, butter and oil on our skin but think it's bad to eat it! smile

Deathraystare Fri 27-Jan-17 18:06:36

And I've not even mentioned the bloody facial hair, honestly if I wasn't attacking it with tweezers I reckon I'd have a proper goatee.

I used to tease my mum about her tash. Now suddenly facial hair is NOT funny at all. The hairs are stiff and white!!!

swizzlestar Fri 27-Jan-17 18:37:36

I'm 46 and am generally happier with my skin and hair than I've ever been.

I use Aldi too, but silver Caviar range. But basically you want some lovely moisturisers. I use the oil cleansing method morning and night, and that has been the best thing ever. I'm a big fan of natural oils.

As above, drinking water really is the best thing you can do. I drink a minimum of 2ltrs a day. It's easier than it sounds!

After a prolonged bout of clean eating (not low fat!) and just generally cutting out sugar and rubbish, I slipped off the wagon what with pre-Christmas parties etc, and my skin looked awful. And really quickly!!

lubeybooby Fri 27-Jan-17 19:28:27

OK had to immediately come and update

first review is for wunderlift www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VRNQOBI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=mumsnetforum-21

Just had a shower and exfoliated and used a foaming oxygen face mask and then clinique dramatically different moisturiser - let that sink in for 20 mins and then tried this. It doesn't quite do what it shows you in the adverts but OP... that line I was on about - it's honestly gone. GONE both my undereyes look the same now to the point where I don't need the wunderlift on the other undereye

my elevens.. frown lines in between brows... greatly reduced.. ditto all fine lines and crepey bits under my eyes

I know this is just some weird trickery effect but trickery is fine by me

you do have to only use a very tiny bit and rapidly pat it on like they say in the instructions

will update with how long the effect lasts under make up - just getting ready to go out now

I am really quite pleased! I'll give it 7/10 so far - I'll give it another point if it lasts at least a couple of hours before i start thinking I look crepey and crinkled again

I will hold off from a definite recommendation til I have seen if it lasts... not much use if it doesn't

but hey - a cheerful first hope maybe, particularly if you feel crepey under the eyes and/or are sick of trying to set your make up only to took chalky and dry and like every line is enhanced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now