Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet HELP! My make up falls off my face

(33 Posts)
goldleaftea Thu 26-Jan-17 22:18:04

Hi all,

So this has always been an issue but it's gotten much worse of late. My DS has been extremely ill and now diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. I am alone with him and his sister, so all care (which is a lot) is down to me, as is house upkeep, school run etc.

i'm coping fine but the stress and tiredness are really telling on me - especially my face. I have started back with my beauty regime and applying make up in the morning. It's off and i look like shit before lunch. It just seems to slip off my face.

I use benefits primer. i don't like the full coverage look. Can anyone please please advise on how to apply make up so i can at least pretend to look fresh through out the day?

i've been through a really rough time and i just need to feel better about myself; i'm early 40s

Thanks in advance

Rainbowglow Thu 26-Jan-17 22:33:14

Hello. So sorry to hear you have been having a difficult time. Is your skin very oily? I find my make up slips/disappears - even with a primer. So a late AM/lunchtime quick touch up is good. Oil blotters are good for the t zone area, a touch up stick for chin/nose, quick freshen up of blush and a lip balm/gloss should make you look better. In terms of crrating a bit of a glow/radiance I love a light matt bronzer and then add a pop of colour to the apples of your cheeks with a cream blush. A hint of highlighter on cheek bones, a volumising mascara. Try and set a little bit of time each day for yourself. A hot bath. Cleanse your face every night. A face pack once a week.

goldleaftea Thu 26-Jan-17 22:44:07

thank you rainbow glow. could you recommend a touch up stick? That sounds great. i'm going to cut and paste into my phone notes...

xxx

goldleaftea Thu 26-Jan-17 22:44:55

My skin is sensitive but i would say more dry in this weather

indigox Thu 26-Jan-17 22:45:25

What foundation do you use?

goldleaftea Thu 26-Jan-17 22:47:34

i'm using bobbi brown bb cream. i just recently bought bobbi brown long wear even finish but it didn't help....

Rainbowglow Thu 26-Jan-17 22:57:46

I really like the bobbi brown foundation stick but there are lots of touch up products on the market.

goldleaftea Thu 26-Jan-17 22:58:48

i'm already fairly ensconced in bobbi brown so i'll pop in. thank you

FuckOffDailyMailQuitQuotingMN Thu 26-Jan-17 23:03:32

I second oil blotters. They can make a big difference in keeping makeup on.

I use oil blotters and then a bit of loose powder with a brush to reset.

goldleaftea Thu 26-Jan-17 23:05:23

hey fuckoff, where do you get your oil blotters and when do you use them?

JennyHolzersGhost Thu 26-Jan-17 23:05:39

Do you moisturise ? If so I'm wondering whether it's the moisturiser formulation which is creating too much oil before you apply base on top.

Rainbowglow Thu 26-Jan-17 23:06:18

I do love Bobbi Brown. I recommend their Pot Rouge for lips and cheeks. If you are popping to the counter get them to put some on you I have a few of them. Really brighten my face and the pot lasts for ages.

goldleaftea Thu 26-Jan-17 23:08:25

Jenny, i'm using a very simple moisturiser
that my dermatologist (abroad, tropical
climate) recommended for me. it's called
aderma. i also use la roche posay

Welshgirl40 Thu 26-Jan-17 23:09:24

NYX finishing spray in matt. Bloody wonderful stuff. Everything stays put for my full day, and my days can be sixteen hours, with a hell of a lot of running around.

Rainbowglow Thu 26-Jan-17 23:09:27

You can get oil blotters at Boots. Only a few pounds. Usually find them in the acne skin care section. You may want to try a more gel based serum and moisturiser - a rich cream may be causing the make up to slip.

goldleaftea Thu 26-Jan-17 23:14:14

NYX - shall give it a try.

Rainbow - ok. great. will get on that.

thank you

mainlywingingit Thu 26-Jan-17 23:30:30

Try an oil free primer

I've just bought the Clinique sonic system and it's absolutely made a huge difference to the brightness of my skin in 2 weeks am delighted. It's expensive but brilliant.

https://m.johnlewis.com/clinique-sonic-system-purifying-cleansing-brush/p/1555293?sku=233740341&skwcid=2dx92700016843668109&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CjwKEAiA2abEBRCdx7PqqunM1CYSJABf3qvaW99_1MnhTQU61U7kqpRwyWLdQshTbkh7gRwFKLgZcrBoCWkTw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

PollysPoppy Thu 26-Jan-17 23:30:34

Hi, I'm hopless with make-up advice but a bit better on diabetes, having a child who also has it. Can understand that all the extra D stuff leaves little time for you. Hope you have good support in place. You will soon find your own routine - it's really difficult at first because you're, in a sense, grieving, everything is so new and there is so much to learn. Try to make sure you get some 'me time' and have some fun finding new make-up.

mainlywingingit Thu 26-Jan-17 23:31:45

The laura mercier oil free primer is excellent

goldleaftea Thu 26-Jan-17 23:42:07

thank you mainly.

thank you too pollys- dx october only now feeling like i want to get back to me.

AlfaMummy Thu 26-Jan-17 23:49:23

If you need an eyeshadow primer to help stop creasing and panda eyes, Urban Decay's Primer Potion is fab, the only product which holds my shadow in place all day.

goldleaftea Thu 26-Jan-17 23:50:49

thank you alfa - i did have a benefits primer but it made me look like a clown - everything kind of smudged and imprinted!

PollysPoppy Thu 26-Jan-17 23:56:03

October isn't long but pleased you're ready to be you again! Going to do some shameless plugging here but there's a wonderful group called Children With Diabetes (or CWD UK) with a super facebook page. It's really good for support and advice - both online and often local meetups. If you ever feel the need .... come and find us!

violetbunny Fri 27-Jan-17 06:25:51

I have super oily skin so getting makeup to stay on my face is also a challenge. I have done quite a bit of trial and error though. The best way to tackle it IMHO is to use several products to address it. I use the following:

- Mattifying primer. I currently use Hylamide Matte12, but Smashbox Photofinish Light primer is also a favourite.
- A longwear foundation (like your Bobbi Brown Longwear foundation - I have tried her BB cream and it doesn't last). When buying foundation, test for longevity by applying to the back of the hand. Wait until dry and rub it gently. If it budges, don't buy it. I like Armani Maestro or Ellis Faas liquid foundation as birth are longwearjng but not too flat.
- A longwear concealer. MAC, Estée Lauder and Makeup Forever make excellent ones.
- Blot regularly. I buy Johnson & Johnson Clean & Clear oil blotting sheets off EBay. Alternatively, Beautyblender make reusable face blotters called Blotterazzi (which don't absorb quite as much oil, but can be washed and used again indefinitely).
- Set foundation with powder. Laura Mercier loose translucent powder is excellent. Pressing the powder into skin with a puff in a rolling motion helps your base last longer than applying the powder with a brush.
- Touch up during the day. I carry face powder and blotting sheets in my handbag.

Hope that helps

NoJimmyProtested Fri 27-Jan-17 06:49:48

Ooh I really want to contribute to this thread - but off to work, will reply later! Dont worry OP, MN S&B will sort you out grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now