Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Dress me for my 30th!

(12 Posts)
thirtyflirtyandthriving Thu 26-Jan-17 19:33:53

Going out with a big gang of friends to a nice (stylish Indian) restaurant.

Budget c £100 (not including shoes or accessories) - would love to shop in John Lewis if possible as I have Christmas vouchers.

I'm tall, size 18 with big boobs. I like jewel toned stuff and nothing too baggy or floaty. Probably trousers, as not great in heels and not a fan of exposing my (enormous) calves when I'm wearing flats.

Can you make me gorgeous?

thirtyflirtyandthriving Thu 26-Jan-17 20:40:38

No?! Perhaps an impossible task...

Bluntness100 Thu 26-Jan-17 20:45:42

Well happy birthday. 🎉

Why don't you pop along to John Lewis and have a look? :do you have trousers you like? If so you could then buy a really nice top that makes you feel great.

Sorry of that's not helpful. Didn't want to read and run.

nut3lla Thu 26-Jan-17 20:50:18

Try the John Lewis assistants - they're actually really helpful, no pressure to buy either. They dressed me for a wedding then some casual stuff when I went again. They chose things I wouldn't have looked at plus gave me a much better bra. Happy birthday too when it comes cake

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Thu 26-Jan-17 21:50:09

I can't find it on JohnLewis.com but how about this Coast top with your favourite trousers? m.coast-stores.com/p/perle-bow-cold-shoulder-top/1744660?locale=en

WilburIsSomePig Thu 26-Jan-17 21:53:51

www.johnlewis.com/coast-rosario-print-top-black/p3118179

I like this, maybe with skinny trousers?

thirtyflirtyandthriving Fri 27-Jan-17 08:46:25

If they did wilbur's top blocked in Florence's colour then we'd be on a winner, I think.

I was trying to avoid having to go into JL as I hate shopping at the best of times and it's tricky with a bouncy toddler, but may just woman up and do it.

Tartle Fri 27-Jan-17 09:52:28

Book a personal shopper. It's free and they will sort it all for you. I had one the other week. It was really good (and I spent a fortune!)

Dowser Fri 27-Jan-17 11:02:14

What about this
www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Eliza+J+Sleeveless+fit+and+flare+with+tie+belt/241252935,default,pd.html

The black top will slim your boobs.
If you have big calves I bet you've got slim ankles. Something with kitten heels.
You're 30, I'm 65... live it. It goes way too quick
Have a lovely birthday

Dowser Fri 27-Jan-17 11:03:57

I'd did the belt, put on a black one and let the skirt do the talking.

Dowser Fri 27-Jan-17 11:04:37

Oops it's navy

thirtyflirtyandthriving Fri 27-Jan-17 17:27:34

Thanks for all the lovely birthday good cheer!

Bowser, I love that dress but no, sadly my ankles don't in any way compensate for my calves so I'd prefer not to show my legs I think. It's exactly my taste, though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: