Talk

Advanced search

Fjallraven backpack anyone?

(46 Posts)
dailymaillazyjournos Thu 26-Jan-17 18:37:29

Has anyone got/had one? I need to replace my ancient rucksack and really like the look of these (only seen them online, mind)

I would use it as a handbag substitute when I go out for the day and travelling as hand luggage, so it needs to be comfortable and sturdy.

I am looking at the Kanken classic ones. Are they good/hard-wearing and if not, does anyone have any other makes that are good. I don't want something too sporty looking as it won't be for sport/walking really and more for wearing around town? It's a lot to splash out on so don't want to regret it. Thanks.

Nanasueathome Thu 26-Jan-17 18:42:03

Ooh.
Saw these in Selfridges Birmingham yesterday when looking around the children's section
They are lovely
Colours are nice and bright
Was looking at a backpack for my grandsons.....but they are expensive
The Ones in Selfridges were not very big either. Could be that we were in the children's section but do check dimensions

sonlypuppyfat Thu 26-Jan-17 18:42:55

I've seen some fab fake kanken bags and I'm getting one. I think the real ones are far too expensive for what they are. Mind I've got loads of kipling rucksacks and they seem better made

Anatidae Thu 26-Jan-17 18:44:42

They are lovely. I've got one of their tote bags and it's so useful

www.fjallraven.co.uk/totepack-no-1

knackeredinyorkshire Thu 26-Jan-17 18:51:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dailymaillazyjournos Thu 26-Jan-17 18:51:56

Oooh thanks everyone. Will definitely check dimensions. I have no objections to a fake other than I'd like it to last as long as possible and not to risk it being made out of inferior quality materials.

dailymaillazyjournos Thu 26-Jan-17 18:55:51

Interesting about the straps though Knackered. When I'm visiting family overseas I use my rucksack to buy grocery stuff such as milk which is heavy so I need it to be comfy and not rub and to be able to wear in warm/hot weather. I love the tote Anatidae but want a backpack as shoulder bags/cross body ones tend to get in the way more, especially wheeling DGDs buggy when I visit.

NanooCov Thu 26-Jan-17 18:55:51

I have one I use mostly for my nappy and generally toddler crap bag. My husband turned his nose up it when I first got it but he's a convert now too! It's really like the tardis - used it for hand luggage for a recent holiday and it was ideal.

sleepachu Thu 26-Jan-17 18:55:57

I have two. They're brilliant - expensive but really worth the money. They're really cool looking too.

sleepachu Thu 26-Jan-17 18:56:56

Oh, but you need to buy the one with the thick straps. I use that one for work in a neutral ish colour then a bright coloured one with thin straps for fashion grin

dailymaillazyjournos Thu 26-Jan-17 19:19:31

Sleepachu good to know. Had no idea there were two thicknesses of strap!

Botanicbaby Thu 26-Jan-17 19:39:26

Sorry to be the only one saying this but I HATE mine. I think they are grossly over-priced, the fabric quality is horrid - feels cheap and nasty. I don't find it comfortable either.

I barely use it which is why I think its lasted so long. My other half has a lovely rucksack from tchibo? sp german shop from years ago and it was a fraction of the price and far better quality, similar style so I am always nicking his instead.

I admit they do look nice on the website but IRL meh! I wouldn't buy another and I wouldn't recommend them to my friends.

neveradullmoment99 Thu 26-Jan-17 19:42:26

OMG they are soooo expensive. scrolled down expecting to see it priced around £40 or so, £90??? That seems overpriced for a canvas bag.

dailymaillazyjournos Thu 26-Jan-17 19:45:57

Botanic thanks. I want to hear the good and bad opinions. They ARE expensive. I've just checked out the padded strap versions and they are £80. Eeeek.

GinIsIn Thu 26-Jan-17 19:48:39

I hated it too for the uncomfortable straps, I bought an Eastpak this time around and it is the BEST. So comfortable!

AllTheBabies Thu 26-Jan-17 19:51:10

I got one in a charity shop a few years ago. I would never pay full price for one, they are extortionate. Tbh I have pretty much stopped using it because it made me feel like a bit of a try hard hipster. The only time it goes out now is hung on the buggy as a nappy bag, it's very useful for that!

FelixFelix Thu 26-Jan-17 19:54:15

I have one to use for college. It's alright. You can fit tonnes of stuff in them without the bag looking massive or bulky. I didn't realise you could get different thickness of straps either! Mine is the thinner strap one and it isn't comfortable at all. Also the straps always catch on my tights and ladder them when I've got it on my knee or carrying it in my hand sad

Charitygirl1 Thu 26-Jan-17 19:57:01

I love mine - I don't think it will ever wear out. The straps are narrow and I thought they might hurt but they never do.the only thing is that they are quite square shaped and fairly rigidly so - amazing for laptops, files, papers. Less so for clothes/shopping etc.

Having said that - they unzip all the way round so are a good suitcase substitute. I can't fault them really.

Itsmytemporaryname Thu 26-Jan-17 19:58:29

I've had mine 18 years and it's still going strong.

lokisglowstickofdestiny1 Thu 26-Jan-17 20:00:13

DD has the Kanken one, paid about £55, she likes it, I was not so impressed, the material feels cheap but she paid for it!

BikeRunSki Thu 26-Jan-17 20:04:26

I don't quite get the Kanken love. I think they are a bit "Marmite". I use an Eastpack which is roomy, comfortable, super quality and considerably cheaper. It's been in daily use since I started work in 1998, as a work bag, gym bag, shopping bag, changing bag, hand luggage, swimming bag, beaver camp rucsac.... I can't fault it. It's basically my handbag. Mine's black, it goes with everything.

YakiUdonYumYum Thu 26-Jan-17 20:11:59

I have one of these made from recycled plastic bottles apparently. I chose it because I preferred the same-colour logo.

I use it for work, I can fit loads in it. Haven't found the thin straps a problem yet.

CallarMorvern Thu 26-Jan-17 20:19:06

I've had one for years ( 20?!) haven't used it for ages and I don't rate it at all. The straps are narrow and uncomfortable, the fabric is grim and has got white crease marks in it, where it has been folded. The seat mat is handy, but I don't like the boxy shape or the shopping type handles. I do like the fox logo, but I'm not paying for a logo. Much prefer North Face and they have a few rucksacks now that look more urban than outdoorsy and they really stand the test of time.

Robin7 Thu 26-Jan-17 20:24:53

We've got the thick strapped big one instead of a nappy bag. Love it and find it comfortable - it has an extra zip so you can expand/compress depending on how much space you need. I like the style so cost per wear is worth it for me - if you're ambivalent then perhaps not..

PossumInAPearTree Thu 26-Jan-17 20:26:09

Teen dd has one for school and loves it. Seems good quality. Seems to be the teen bag of choice round here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now