Talk

Advanced search

Going from platinum to dark brown advice plesse

(9 Posts)
Cocolepew Thu 26-Jan-17 13:20:49

Atm I'm platium blonde, if I were to go dark, do I need to put a red in first?
If so, is there a particular shade I should use and does it need to be a permanent?

Cocolepew Thu 26-Jan-17 13:21:08

please blush

Cocolepew Thu 26-Jan-17 14:42:14

Pathetic bump.

Lovelybangers Thu 26-Jan-17 14:45:33

I went from bleached white back to my natural dark brown.

It was done at the hair salon though so I have no idea what was necessary.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 26-Jan-17 14:58:51

Yes, you need to fill your hair with red pigment first. The bleach strips out any traces of red so applying a brown dye on top of blonde means the hair will go a greenish, sludge colour without a red filler.

I did this at home a couple of years ago. I used a Nice n Easy semi permanent dye first. ( can't remember exact shade, it was a reddish auburn colour) then washed that out, roughly blowed dried it and then used a permanent light brown dye on top.

A couple of words of warning ;

The brown at home dyes come out very dark. Much darker than you'd expect.Light brown will come out dark enough.

And think carefully about this. Are you a natural dark brunette? I'm naturally a blonde so although my hair came out a lovely glossy dark brown, I never thought it suited me, my eyebrows are blonde and I felt a bit swallowed up by the dark colour.
I've actually gone back to blonde now blush
Good luck!

Cocolepew Thu 26-Jan-17 14:59:46

Thanks grin

Cocolepew Thu 26-Jan-17 15:01:27

Thank you! Yes I'm naturally brunette, I've done the sludgy green before blush
I wasn't sure if a semi would be ok.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 26-Jan-17 15:06:04

Well if you're naturally brunette that'll look amazing. Yes I used a semi permanent red, then permanent brown on top. It felt amazing afterwards, so silky and soft but I just felt like it was too dark for me.

If you're dark anyway, go for it. It's good to have a break from the bleach.

Cocolepew Thu 26-Jan-17 15:26:11

Why thank you grin
My hair's very short so if it goes wrong I get the clippers out smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now