Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any hair dye experts about?

(13 Posts)
Pogmella Wed 25-Jan-17 20:19:50

I have long (down to my ribs) hair. Love the length. For the past decade I've dyed it dark brown or black as I have mousy coloured hair (and a tonne of greys blush )

I really, really, really want to ombre the ends. I accept I might not be able to do a fun colour, but if I could get them blonde that would be great.

Hairdresser refuses to dk it as a strand test went orange (unsurprisingly)

Can I strip the ends with baby shampoo then colour stripper then bleach then purple shampoo? Back up plan is a bob and semi permanent dye for a few years...

If anyone has any experience please share!!

Pogmella Thu 26-Jan-17 19:41:24

Bumping

barefoofdoctor Thu 26-Jan-17 19:45:06

I'd whack some colour B4 on it and see what happens. Once you've stripped it then try bleach (if it's only the ends you can always lop them off if the bleach frazzles it. The colour B4 isn't too harsh on the hair though it stinks!

Pogmella Thu 26-Jan-17 21:17:27

Ok. Thinking of taking a strand and doing colourb4 then a box ombre.

user1485000332 Thu 26-Jan-17 21:31:21

I have mousy hair I've dyed red and/or black for well over a decade. Last time I went from black back to red I used colour before and it took all of the black and most of the red underneath out leaving it a dark blonde. I would definitely say try it. Best thing about long hair (mine is a similar length to what you describe) is if an ombre goes wrong and dying over isn't an option then as pp said you have the choice to trim it off

Pogmella Fri 27-Jan-17 19:00:57

Thanks! Tonight I tried a strand test on a box ombre kit. Left it on a hr and just went a sort of very dark cherry. Giving it another 45mins then trying a 2nd strand with colour b4 smile

user1485000332 Sat 28-Jan-17 04:40:05

Best of luck! Hope all went well smile

BrowsOnFleek Sat 28-Jan-17 04:52:10

I've done this, well my hairdresser did. Hair didn't lift lighter than ginger and it's so frizzy now, so I think you may regret it. My hair is also shoulder length and I regularly cut it off so yours is likely to be holding a lot of dye.

Pogmella Sat 28-Jan-17 21:06:29

Right. Have stripped it twice. Have my old colour down to my ears, but then darker from there and really dark at ends. Planning to dye semi-perm ash brown over top just to even it out and chop the bottom few inches and continue stripping ends and washing w/purple shampoo for a few weeks before braving bleach!! Strand test was brassy but not bright orange so confident enough to give it a bash. Used argan oil in between each strip and it doesn't seem too dried?

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Sun 29-Jan-17 02:34:48

A semi permanent dye will have little to no bleach in usually, so if you are using it in the hopes it will lighten the ends you might be disappointed, saying that have you tried on your strand test putting the ash blonde on after the ombre kit? This might well take some of the brassiness out. Also if you are using an ombre kit, you do know they are a mild bleach in themselves don't you? Use argan oil, slather with conditioner, I would suggest an overnight one at least once a week, and don't forget to give your hair a bit of a break between the stripping, if you use any stripper, dye or bleach too often you are likely to get the same dried damaged effect.

Pogmella Sun 29-Jan-17 13:29:56

Thanks lovemy, just using the semi perm to even out grey roots, mousy mid section and brunette ends grin Going to rest it til next weekend using loads of condition in treatments til then. Apart from anything else, I want to get used to this colour a little bit.

BrowsOnFleek Sun 29-Jan-17 17:58:20

Not too sure on pricing, but if you can get your hands on some olaplex or similar product, your hair will thank you. Some hairdressers offer this as a treatment by itself, you can mix with bleach to prevent it damaging your hair. It's the future of bleaching!

Pogmella Tue 31-Jan-17 18:56:27

Ok, I got impatient! Put some Jerome Russell BBlonde on the ends. That stuff is strong!! The ends went strawberry blonde, the mid sections brassy orange. Dyed ash brown semi perm over the top and they now look like (slightly uneven blush ) ombre highlights. Someone at work commented it looked like I'd been on holiday, most other people didn't notice and I'm pleased with it. I think now if I wait til before our holiday (March) and bleach again the ends will go blonde enough to put blue over and then I can lop them off when I get back grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now