Talk

Advanced search

What do I wear with this evening dress to cover my arms and make it more fitting for a 55 year old?

(45 Posts)
MoragWilson Wed 25-Jan-17 15:18:06

Bought this dress in the Monsoon sale. In RL it looks classier and not stripey.

{http://uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_13.25/1434950108

Going to a gala dinner type event next month and need something to wear with it to cover my arms and so I don't look muttonish.

I'm tall and slim so the dress looks good but I need a warm cardi something to wear with it.

Guidance please.

Bluntness100 Wed 25-Jan-17 15:19:54

The link doesn't work for me, sorry.

MoragWilson Wed 25-Jan-17 15:47:28

uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_13.25/1434950108

Sorry, try this.

mrsmortis Wed 25-Jan-17 16:00:54

A silver grey shrug? A bolero length one I think. Or something jewel toned that's the same length?

TheOnlyWayIsMN Wed 25-Jan-17 16:02:10

Can you get a shrug and shoes in a different colour like red? very unhelpful

ACloudCoosHi Wed 25-Jan-17 16:17:13

Lands End have shrugs in jewel colours. Not sure if they're cotton.
www.landsend.co.uk/Search?q=shrug&fromSearch=y&brand=2

I bought a cream chiffon shrug from these guys last summer
Baylis and Knight

HTH

OldLibrary Wed 25-Jan-17 16:22:34

I think it looks perfectly appropriate for your age as it is!

I think a shrug type thing would scream that you are tryingtomhode yiur arms and can look quite "old" in itself.

Scrub, polish and shine up your arms with body lotion with a hint of shine, and wear it with pride.

friskybivalves Wed 25-Jan-17 16:30:35

Could you look at 'sleeve wear' from M&S? I have a diaphanous kind of shrug thing designed to go under sleeveless tops and dresses to give you sheer elbow length sleeves. Sounds weird but might work! I use mine all the time.

RudyMentary Wed 25-Jan-17 16:36:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RudyMentary Wed 25-Jan-17 16:37:59

Bluntness100 Wed 25-Jan-17 16:40:27

I hate shrugs, I seldom to never have seen someone who actually looks good in one. They scream covering your arms and usually cut off at the most unflattering place . I think it looks fine as is, I wouldn't wear anything with it. It won't look muttonish. If you need something get a chiffon wrap with maybe a little sparkle in it. And I mean very little. In a sort of silver colour.

blueskyinmarch Wed 25-Jan-17 16:41:21

I am 54 and i have a dress similar in style to that one. I don’t wear a wrap or a shrug. I just wear it as it is and no-one has ever suggested that it was muttonish. Just wear it proudly.

OCSockOrphanage Wed 25-Jan-17 16:47:10

No sleeves, really. Scrub, polish, moisturise, and maybe some weight training to tone biceps if you think it necessary.

Floisme Wed 25-Jan-17 17:44:29

I'm all over the place on this one. I hate the word 'mutton' and I think that dress is perfectly appropriate. I agree that nothing announces to the world that you hate your arms louder than a shrug. That said..... I always wear sleeves grin because I am vain and because my arms are shot and no amount of scrubbing or polishing is going to change them.
If the event is coming up soon I would hope for a cold spell and wear a cropped, fake fur jacket over that dress. I know it would get hot but I'd wait till everyone had had a few drinks - and I had too - then whip it off.

imjessie Wed 25-Jan-17 20:21:24

How about one Of those things that go underneath . Not sure what they are called but marks sell them .

brandyandsummergloves Wed 25-Jan-17 20:37:09

Imjessie......a vest?

I would also wear it with no shrug and I'm 55 too. I'd put a bit of gradual tan on my arms first though as I'm very pale at the moment

ChinUpChestOut Thu 26-Jan-17 09:34:30

You're tall and slim - do not hide!! That dress is lovely, I'm a similar age to you and although tall, not particularly slim and I wouldn't be wearing a shrug!! I'd wear a statement necklace though to add drama - something like this: Kyoto Statement Necklace from Accessorize (sorry only seem to be able to access the eu site).

But no shrug. Too old lady.

RudyMentary Thu 26-Jan-17 09:48:33

ChinUpChestOut Thu 26-Jan-17 10:18:03

It's funny, isn't it? I adore jewellery, and think it adds something personal to any outfit. But talk to me about shrugs and little cardis and I'll throw up my hands in horror!

So MoragWilson which side of the fence do you fall? Are you a shrug/cardi wearer or will you go the route of bare arms and jewellery?

TheOnlyWayIsMN Thu 26-Jan-17 12:29:36

See I don't think of it as a frumpy/older lady issue. I'm mid 30s and if I had to go out somewhere I'd want my arms covered - apart from anything, it's freezing!

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Thu 26-Jan-17 13:53:40

I think it's lovely and totally appropriate!

Don't cover your arms, pashminas are awkward and I agree a bolero/shrug would look not good. If you need something to keep you warm then a little cape might be nice.

Twistmeandturnme Thu 26-Jan-17 14:01:23

I'm same generation as you OP and I wouldn't sit down to a formal dinner with my shoulders uncovered. Is that what you meant, rather than covering them for a cosmetic reason?
I agree with pp that the dress won't look muttonish (it's a very classic design) so go for a wrap to match your jewellery for dinner and cast it aside for dancing.

Laiste Thu 26-Jan-17 15:28:28

Just out of interest, i've found this site:

www.wingzfashion.com/

fascinating!

imjessie Thu 26-Jan-17 18:34:46

Not a vest, it's an undergarment that you wear and it gives you sleeves . No idea if it would work you would have to try it . Like an inside out shrug I guess

Liiinoo Thu 26-Jan-17 19:37:30

If you have toned arms I would agree with the posters who say a body scrub and fake tan would be all you need. Michelle Obama looks great in sleeveless and she is no spring chicken.

If you think your arms are too flabby `Mary Portas does something called Armery which are like arm tights that go under the dress. HoF used to stick them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now