Talk

Advanced search

Is there any product out there to 'ashen' my yellow locks?

(21 Posts)
Chicinwellies Tue 24-Jan-17 21:40:03

I have natural blonde hair but very 'yellow'/golden tones. Would love to fade to a pale ash - I've tried many purple shampoos but no joy yet. Wondered if anyone can recommend? Thnx

CheeseFlavouredDiscs Tue 24-Jan-17 21:45:50

Oooh, yes! Brb with product name...

CheeseFlavouredDiscs Tue 24-Jan-17 21:50:55

Scott Cornwall wash in toners. You keep using them like conditioner and the effects build up over a few washes. I used it to tone down the yellow tones in my hair.

m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=uk&path=%2Fen%2FScott-Cornwall-Colour-Restore-Cool-Ash-Hair-Toner-100ml_1262298%2F

Izzydawg Tue 24-Jan-17 22:34:04

The only purple shampoo that makes a difference is the Lee Stafford Bleach blonde toning shampoo from boots

Chicinwellies Tue 24-Jan-17 22:45:25

I'll give that a try thanks Cheese. I've tried Lee S before and apart from turning our new white grouting in the shower purple, it just sent my hair a shade of pink.

Truckingalong Wed 25-Jan-17 10:39:37

Yep, lee Stafford one is good. Bleach London is even better and the Jerome Russell silver toner better again. Put LOADS of it on and leave for half an hour. Then put a blob into your conditioner aswell.

Frouby Wed 25-Jan-17 10:40:45

Joico purple shampoo is ace. Hairdressers sell it if you can't find it online.

Chicinwellies Wed 25-Jan-17 18:52:27

Thanks! Do these work on natural blonde hair as opposed to pre lightened?

hilbil21 Wed 25-Jan-17 18:58:03

Bleach london is definitely the best. Lee Stafford made my hair pink too

hilbil21 Wed 25-Jan-17 18:58:04

Bleach london is definitely the best. Lee Stafford made my hair pink too

PurpleNurple69 Wed 25-Jan-17 19:08:22

I loved the Osmo Silverising Shampoo when I was blond. SLS free too!

Celaena Wed 25-Jan-17 19:15:43

you could..... use..... Joico K-Pak Color Intensity Semi-Perm Magenta 4oz - you get a really big tube, mix it with conditioner (really tiny amount and mix well)

www.amazon.co.uk/Joico-K-Pak-Intensity-Semi-Perm-Magenta/dp/B00L1MAUAG?tag=mumsnetforum-21

Backt0Black Wed 25-Jan-17 19:19:43

I'm waiting on a delivery of 'Fanola no Yellow' shampoo. Reviews and tutorials on YouTube seem crazy good.

I'm hopeful but can't rate it personally just yet

Islacornx Wed 25-Jan-17 19:26:50

Bleach London definitely! I tend to leave it on my hair for a little bit while I wash/shave etc and it turns any brassy or fading blonde bits nice and ashy again, it's the purple bottles, not sure if it's called purple shampoo or silver shampoo but you'll recognise it by the purple bottles

KatLovesCats Fri 27-Jan-17 12:48:37

Lush's "Daddy O" shampoo is great and works very well on natural blonde smile

AtiaoftheJulii Fri 27-Jan-17 12:51:10

My bleached-blonde dd uses Fudge Clean Blonde and it makes a clear difference.

fridgepants Fri 27-Jan-17 12:57:15

The best thing, if you can get it from the US, is Wella T18 toner. I'm assuming that's too much hassle, but if not, I can explain how I got mine shipped over.

I like the Colour Freedom white blonde toner from Superdrug. I've also had success putting Touch Of Silver shampoo on dry hair and leaving it in for a couple of hours.

hollyisalovelyname Fri 27-Jan-17 17:39:33

Joico gave me a purple scalp.
So not a good look grin

DonnaMoss Fri 27-Jan-17 21:20:33

Fudge Clean blonde is incredible

Chicinwellies Sat 28-Jan-17 08:21:52

Haha purple scalp! Not the effect I was after, thanks for all the suggestions. Fridgepants do you apply the toner with conditioner or as per instructions? Will look at Lush too, and fudge ...

TheChosen1 Sat 28-Jan-17 10:08:56

I would dig into my pocket and go to the hairdressers tbh. I spent years dying my own hair and faffing about with it never coming out as I wanted. Tell the hairdressers exactly what you want and it's their job to get it right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now