Talk

Advanced search

Where on earth do you dry your hair?

(133 Posts)
ynkee0107 Tue 24-Jan-17 19:42:28

Okay. So I'm American and while I love my adopted home, one thing that really really annoys me about this country is the lack of real plug sockets in bathrooms. (Honestly I could just as easily fill the kitchen sink with water and drop my hairdryer in it if I wanted to off myself... the "safety" issue is a bunch of bs... rant over).

Anyway. Where do you dry your hair?!?

I wash and dry mine every morning. And right now my hair dryer lives in the kitchen (yuck).

I desperately want to use the bathroom mirror but would have to run extension cords through the house.

Suggestions please! :-)

Horsemad Tue 24-Jan-17 19:44:57

What's wrong with drying it in the bedroom? confused

skislope Tue 24-Jan-17 19:44:57

The bedroom??

dementedpixie Tue 24-Jan-17 19:46:23

Bedroom using a mirror that sits on top of the chest of drawers

ynkee0107 Tue 24-Jan-17 19:46:47

My husband is still in bed when I'm getting ready in the morning. So the bedroom isn't really an option.

GieryFas Tue 24-Jan-17 19:47:23

Bedroom. Sitting on the floor near a plug socket, oh the glamour...

ElspethFlashman Tue 24-Jan-17 19:47:33

Bedroom! Specifically spare bedroom in my case as the mirror is better.

Anatidae Tue 24-Jan-17 19:47:45

The kitchen. Because it's the only place I can watch the toddler and dry my hair safely.

Why not put a nice mirror in your hall or something?

BillyButtfuck Tue 24-Jan-17 19:47:46

In the bedroom or if DH is asleep i plug it into the socket in the hallway and it reaches the bathroom mirror.

GieryFas Tue 24-Jan-17 19:47:56

X-post. So's mine. He just burrows his head under the pillow a bit. And it warms the room up for him, so there's a benefit, too.

dementedpixie Tue 24-Jan-17 19:48:15

www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/decoration/bathroom-mirrors/tysnes-table-mirror-art-10182189/ my mirror

LtGreggs Tue 24-Jan-17 19:49:00

Most people are going to say bedroom...

Where do you get dressed?

Hallway mirror?

JohnLapsleyParlabane Tue 24-Jan-17 19:49:14

Hall way. Console table with mirror above. And drawer to keep products/hairdryer in.

Blazedandconfused Tue 24-Jan-17 19:49:43

Spare bedroom.

TheImprobableGirl Tue 24-Jan-17 19:51:05

Landing plug that reaches to bathroom

CorporalNobbyNobbs Tue 24-Jan-17 19:53:00

Spare bedroom. If you don't have one do you have a hallway?

plimsolls Tue 24-Jan-17 19:53:10

We've got a little nook in the hall outside the bathroom. Full length mirror and hairdryer there.

I thought the safety issue was more about not being able to have uk style plug sockets in a potential steamy wet bathroom, not to stop you dropping your hairdryer in the sink. Same reason that you don't see regular light switches in bathrooms.

ynkee0107 Tue 24-Jan-17 19:53:52

I get dressed and do my make up in the bathroom. I just wish there was a real plug socket in there! Lol hall is a good idea tho.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 24-Jan-17 19:55:36

Bedroom. Drying hair in a damp steamy bathroom is far less pleasant.

I'm of the head upside down school of hairdrying so mirrors don't come into it.

Bluntness100 Tue 24-Jan-17 19:59:29

In the uk we are not used to power sockets in the bathroom like you get in the states, and most people dry their hair in the bedroom.

If my husband is asleep I go into a spare room and do it. I wouldn't want to do it in the bathroom, not least because it takes ages to dry and I don't want to be in the bathroom that long. Even in the states, I will not dry my hair in the hotel room bathroom, but do it in the bedroom area.

W8woman Tue 24-Jan-17 20:01:28

You can buy hairdryers that are suitable for bathrooms from contract furnishers (who supply hotels). Your electrician will be able to wire it in. They're not Parlux, but they're fine.

I cheat and every bathroom I install has a double socket just outside the door, one for the hairdryer and one for the straighteners or curling wand so you can use both simultaneously. No male builder thinks of this. They also don't realise you may need to hoover the bathroom floor and the stairs and landings. I've seen many a five storey house without a single plug socket within easy reach of the stairs.

FuckOffDailyMailQuitQuotingMN Tue 24-Jan-17 20:02:25

Use an extension lead to use the hair dryer in the bathroom?

Do you have a shaving point? You can buy a weird wall mounted hair dryer with a tube air thing that has an electric adapter in it for the shave power point.

I love the USA type vanity countertops and nice lighting for makeup and hair.

FuckOffDailyMailQuitQuotingMN Tue 24-Jan-17 20:03:32

Xpost there with w8woman!

Acornantics Tue 24-Jan-17 20:05:18

I loved it when I lived in the US and could dry my hair as I brushed my teeth and did my makeup in the bathroom (simultaneously, obv!) As OP says, its really not dangerous to put sockets in the bathroom, any more than it is in a kitchen.

Back in the UK it really bugs me that I can't potentially electrocute myself at will/dry hair in bathroom.

Mol1628 Tue 24-Jan-17 20:06:37

What about a cordless hair dryer. Surely they exist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now