Talk

Advanced search

More illuminating replacement for Double Wear?

(42 Posts)
peachypips Tue 24-Jan-17 17:47:20

I've worn ELDW for years in Ecru. However, now at 38 it is looking a bit too chalky and is settling in the lines in my forehead. Does anyone have any recommendations for a foundation that has very good coverage (have spots) but is more dewy? I'm also wondering about brushing a radiance powder over the double Wear as an alternative.

OldJoseph Tue 24-Jan-17 18:10:58

Would an illuminating primer underneath DW help?

Softkitty2 Tue 24-Jan-17 18:15:44

Charlotte tilbury wonderglow is an illuminating primer and highly recommend.

An alternative would be the new smashbox foundation primer radiance

Between these 2 there is a £10 price difference but look very similar.

Also try becca illuminating primer or finishing powder

Jemimapuddleduk Tue 24-Jan-17 18:36:45

Have you tried the new double wear nude cushion stick. Great coverage but more dewy. It's lovely. Alternatively the double wear light.

Lucked Tue 24-Jan-17 19:00:20

Yes I have to wear double wear light now I am olde

ElspethFlashman Tue 24-Jan-17 19:02:47

I deal with this by spritzing with Mac Fix+ afterwards. It makes it less chalky and masky.

ElspethFlashman Tue 24-Jan-17 19:04:12

You could also have a look at the Rimmel Lasting 25 hr foundation with the red top. It's a creamier more forgiving finish. And cheap enough to experiment with!

Welshgirl40 Tue 24-Jan-17 19:06:05

Try a finishing spray. I find Urban Decay to be the best for me. Also, a decent primer works wonders!

Welshgirl40 Tue 24-Jan-17 19:06:51

Although, if you're splurging, I love the Chanel Beiges foundations. Ruddy wonderful stuff.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Tue 24-Jan-17 19:10:46

YSL Touche éclat and Laura Mercier Candleglow, both good.

Try mixing some illuminator with your Double Wear so you can use it up.

NotAMamaYet Tue 24-Jan-17 19:11:33

Charlotte Tilbury all the way

peachypips Tue 24-Jan-17 19:11:49

I was wondering about the Chanel illuminating whatsit foundation. Like the idea of an illuminating primer. Will that really make a difference? The DW won't cover it up? Argh so many products!

BearFoxBear Tue 24-Jan-17 19:12:14

Double Wear Light is great - I had to stop using the original at about the same age as you, spent a fortune trying alternatives, then switched to the the DW light. It's still got great staying power but is more natural and doesn't settle in wrinkles (hurrah!).

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Tue 24-Jan-17 19:25:48

It won't cover it completely, you can still see it through.
Or mix, then you can get exactly the effect you want.

I mix everything. Foundations, lipsticks, conditioners, perfumes.

DressageDiva88 Tue 24-Jan-17 19:37:36

I suffer with bad skin and used to use Double Wear until I had the same problem; it just felt too heavy. I went to Space NK for a replacement and they suggested NARS Sheer Glow. I bought that and the matching concealer and it is brilliant, totally recommend it.

Welshgirl40 Tue 24-Jan-17 19:52:51

With me, the Nars Sheer Glow doesn't sit at all well.
I'd procure some samples of the recommendations, if I was you: what suits one, might not work with another. Chanel are really good with samples, as are most of the goodies listed above. grin

MooMinCow Tue 24-Jan-17 19:52:56

Add a drop or two of facial oil into some of the foundation on the back of your hand, mix and apply as normal. Helps to sheer it out and gives a nice dewy finish. You can also add a blob of illuminator/highlighting fluid to the mix as suggested above.

peachypips Wed 25-Jan-17 20:29:13

Some great help here- thank you! I swept a very very small amount of highlighter over my double wear today which helped a bit. Although it made me look very pale! I'm going to pop into town and load up with samples.

Ponks Wed 25-Jan-17 23:08:41

I'm similarly after a double wear replacement as although I love the coverage it suddenly seems too heavy round the eyes. I found that the Double Wear nude stick has rubbish coverage, doesn't deserve the double wear name at all.

Invictus72 Thu 26-Jan-17 00:59:35

Been using Double Wear desert-beige for years,some great tips here as i'm 45 and finding i also have to use a concealer for my dark shadows
I use Mac Mineralize for some shimmer,just enough to give me a bit of a glow

lubeybooby Thu 26-Jan-17 01:05:22

stick with DW but use a primer and put it on with a make up sponge rather than fingers or brush. made a huge difference for me

also a very very light swish of some mac highlighter if it's evening make up

Doobigetta Thu 26-Jan-17 07:11:49

I use DW with Pixi illuminating primer- works really well.

PrettyDarnQuick Thu 26-Jan-17 07:24:37

Rimmel 25 Hour is like DW but dewier. Honestly. I prefer it ten times to DW now. I'm also 38!

Kwackerly Thu 26-Jan-17 07:52:29

This is a very useful thread, thank you OP!

Can anyone recommend a good primer?

user1469639526 Thu 26-Jan-17 08:51:58

Thank you for the suggestions smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now