Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed - bikini wax appt in 2 hours

(24 Posts)
TaffetaMuttonfudge Tue 24-Jan-17 17:03:55

Hi all,

On a whim (after drinking one too many glasses of wine) I booked my very first Hollywood wax for 7pm tonight. I've had simple bikini waxes before, but decided to go for the whole lot this time and I just realised I have no idea what to expect.

My question is - what kind of knickers should I wear? Or does it not matter as they ask you to remove them? Also, will I end up on all fours (or hanging from the light fitting or something similar) so they can get everywhere?

Thanks! smile

HeyMacWey Tue 24-Jan-17 17:06:25

They'll give you paper knickers.
You'll probably need to go on all fours at some point.
Take a couple of ibuprofen beforehand.

SheldonsSpot Tue 24-Jan-17 17:09:23

The way it goes with me is...
No knickers.
All fours start.
Then lie on your back with legs in butterfly position.
20 minutes and I'm done.

My therapist is lovely, it's more like having a catch up with a mate than having a bikini wax.

Ilovecaindingle Tue 24-Jan-17 17:12:45

SheldonSpot you really chat away with her head in your lady garden??? blush

SheldonsSpot Tue 24-Jan-17 17:16:51

Her head is nowhere near being "in" my lady garden - how close do you think they need to get? confusedgrin

reallyanotherone Tue 24-Jan-17 17:16:52

What i don't get is on the changing room threads people are horrified when a woman dares to be naked while getting changed in a communal (same sex) changing room.

But don't bat an eyelid at no knickers on all fours/in butterfly position in front of someone who is not a dr, midwife or sexual partner .

TaffetaMuttonfudge Tue 24-Jan-17 17:17:52

Hey - that is an amazingly good idea about the ibuprofen! Thank you grin

TaffetaMuttonfudge Tue 24-Jan-17 17:18:35

Sheldon - do they start from the back and work to the front then?

SheldonsSpot Tue 24-Jan-17 17:22:31

Depends who you go to Taffeta and where they trained. Some places start with the front. If they're any good they'll be putting you at ease no matter which position you start off in.

Just make sure they're using hot wax (so the type of wax that peels off - not the wax that they rub off with strips as that is agony) and make sure they don't use one spatula for the whole treatment - because if they're applying wax to your bits with a spatula then dipping it back into the wax pot that's just grim.

TaffetaMuttonfudge Tue 24-Jan-17 17:25:15

Ok, at ease and no 'double dipping' grin

I'm having a 'lycon' wax which is apparently less painful (not on the budget). Anyone had experience?

CrispPacket Tue 24-Jan-17 17:26:22

its a lot less daunting/painful than it appears/sounds smile im with sheldonsspot on this one smile

TaffetaMuttonfudge Tue 24-Jan-17 17:28:44

I have a feeling that the worst bit is going to be the top of my pubic bone. Not sure why.

Joyofscreamingjoy Tue 24-Jan-17 17:44:35

I'll second taking painkillers beforehand!! I've never been on all fours for a wax & been to a few places. Generally nothing on the lower part (never know what to do about socks?!) but they give you towel to cover the other bits they aren't working on - good luck 🙂

TaffetaMuttonfudge Tue 24-Jan-17 17:48:46

[*eyes up high strength ibuprofen left over from my c section 4 months ago and the leftover wine in the fridge*] wink

TeethDrama Tue 24-Jan-17 18:38:03

Knickers off to do a Hollywood. It seems a bit odd but you get used to it! They will have done loads. Never been asked to go on all fours, they reach all bits from asking for leg to be raised in turn. Personally I find my ankles far more painful than any Hollywood area!

TaffetaMuttonfudge Tue 24-Jan-17 18:41:55

Am sat outside, nervously eyeing up the salon. The thought is worse than the act I'm sure. I'm not that shy about whipping off my clothes, weirdly. Pregnancy and childbirth has left me sans shame grin

TeethDrama Tue 24-Jan-17 18:42:15

really it's about context. Woman gets naked in changing room is not doing so by prior agreement and arrangement as in a waxing appointment, where both parties are aware in advance that nakedness is taking place for a specific purpose and both have agreed to that.

Also, waxing is done in a private space with just the client and the beautician involved. Nakedness in changing room is a general area where some people might feel uncomfortable being around a person in a state of undress without warning.

TeethDrama Tue 24-Jan-17 18:43:35

Taffeta it'll be fine, to the beautician it's just hair to be removed no matter where on the body it is! Bear in mind they'll likely have done back, sack & crack on guys too, they won't bat an eyelid smile

SantaClausMortificado Tue 24-Jan-17 19:05:48

I've also never been asked to go on all fours and tbh if I were I'd look for a new beautician. It sounds extremely amateur.

Paper knickers and the back part is done by lying on your side, lifting your upper leg and sort of pulling your knee/thigh yourself towards you.

TeethDrama Tue 24-Jan-17 20:01:10

Santa why the paper knickers for a Hollywood though? confused

When I've had a Hollywood, they literally remove <ahem> every hair they can find down there. That means right up to the edge of, <ahem> most delicate areas. Paper knickers would be in the way, paper knickers cover the same areas as normal knickers (and those are areas which are being waxed) surely?

TaffetaMuttonfudge Tue 24-Jan-17 20:14:12

All done, hurt like a bitch but apparently it does the first time (and I have shaved so that makes the hair coarser), but I lived! Had the lovely paper knickers but not sure why and I wasn't overly worried about kitting off in front of her. No all fours, just turning on my side and cocking a leg grin

Thanks for all your help lovely mumsnetters!

exercisegirl Tue 24-Jan-17 20:30:10

Having done it once. Would you have it done again?

TaffetaMuttonfudge Tue 24-Jan-17 20:55:41

I certainly would - have another appointment in about 5 weeks already grin. Feels so much better than shaving, and whilst it hurt it was only for a few seconds. The worst bit was my section scar but that is only about 3.5 months old.

SantaClausMortificado Tue 24-Jan-17 22:19:00

Santa why the paper knickers for a Hollywood though?

I assume it's so the client doesn't feel exposed/vulnerable by having a totally open and unprotected vaginal opening. And so the therapist doesn't have it gaping in her face!.

They just pull it around so that it doesn't cover the hair being waxed bit by bit.

Also if you want a (variously called Hollywood or Brazilian depending on which salon) it all off save for a little landing strip, the paper knickers provide a "guide line".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now