Talk

Advanced search

40 year old equivalent of a Manhattan messenger bag

(8 Posts)
drunkathousandtimes Mon 23-Jan-17 20:54:24

Back to work after nearly 10 years. I need to buy a bag, possibly big enough for a laptop, definitely for tablet and A4 notebook. (Oh god, do people still use notebooks?! shock)

These are vaguely the right price range. I'll dress vaguely smartly but not in a suit. I am not, as will be evident by my cluelessness, a hipster. Would prefer casual.

I like the orla kiely one but that's probably a very middle aged mum look.

Any help welcome?

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 23-Jan-17 20:56:06

A Zara city bag . Perfect !

drunkathousandtimes Tue 24-Jan-17 07:41:45

Thanks KenDodds. Maybe a little too handbag like for me.

bilknapplapp Tue 24-Jan-17 07:44:57

Fjällräven do a nice messenger bag... http://www.fjallraven.co.uk/ovik-shoulder-bag

bilknapplapp Tue 24-Jan-17 07:46:42

But also, go for the Orla Kiely if you like it! Why not?smile

KarmaNoMore Tue 24-Jan-17 07:56:03

It depends on what you do for a living and what colours you use most (you don't want something that clashes with your clothes every day.

The first one: that strap may be too thin to carry the weight of a laptop.

Second one would be my choice (if I was in black most days)

Third... I really liked the shape but not the colours, would love that shape in leather or expensive fabric but in its current form it looks a bit to teen to me.

Orla

BikeRunSki Tue 24-Jan-17 08:40:36

I agree that the strap on the first is too thin to support the weight of a laptop comfortably. To be honest, if you need to carry a laptop any distance every day, unless it's a small screen MacBook Air, your back will thank you to get a rucsac.

But if you want a messenger bag, Visconti have nice work-y ones. Surprisingly, M&S men's sometimes do too.

drunkathousandtimes Tue 24-Jan-17 13:35:20

Ok useful feedback as likely to be a clunky laptop so maybe a rucksack is better. Meaning maybe I just need a bag that is big enough for A4. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now