Talk

Advanced search

"You are dressed like a 50 year old" (I'm a young 37)

(141 Posts)
MorelloKisses Mon 23-Jan-17 19:55:49

A little bit of guidance needed I think. Thank you in advance.

I am a young looking 37, 5ft 6, slim, I've just had another little push with clothes and beauty routine, got a pretty great haircut and colour (dark brown, graduated bob). I work in a very corporate environment and like to wear really classic things to work.

Today I had the plum coloured Hobbs Coleta dress on, with some black LK benet Stila shoes and some grey opaque tights. Just one necklace to accessorise and this is probably where it went wrong, I had this looped round 3 times, so not worn long.

In my head I was channeling my inner Diane Lockhart (who admittedly is 50 plus), but this comment this morning had really thrown me off, and I just felt a bit shit.

Can you point me to some accessories that will look impeccable, not granny?

Pistachiois50pmore Mon 23-Jan-17 20:08:04

Your outfit looks totally fine and the person was a bit rude! Maybe they thought the necklace looked like a classic pearl necklace worn that short, but really, don't listen to them. If it was a man ESPECIALLY don't listen to them.

MorelloKisses Mon 23-Jan-17 20:09:43

It was a bit rude...but I know it wasn't meant that way. The comment was from a rather lovely woman, who I fear might have spoken a thought outloud before engaging brain!

PNGirl Mon 23-Jan-17 20:12:22

This person was extremely rude. That said that is a lot of upper-body on a dress what with long sleeves and a high neck so I can see that a short necklace and opaque tights might have looked quite stiff.

Accessories wise I'm not sure though. A longer necklace or a bracelet might be enough.

wobblywonderwoman Mon 23-Jan-17 20:14:28

I think that sounds gorgeous but I see a lot of women at work wearing the large pendants (with a coin or something) that might make it a bit more on trend but honestly, I would love to have the figure to wear that dress flowers

WeeM Mon 23-Jan-17 20:21:27

Maybe more of a statement chunky necklace would give it a younger look. It's a lovely dress though!

Bravas Mon 23-Jan-17 20:24:25

I'm the same age as you and also recently had similar thoughts and comments (thanks mum). I think its a tricky age and have been feeling a little lost.

I did a big shop in Zara and got some gorgeous tops and blouses that I think have brought my suits more up to date. Quality wise they aren't amazing but look nice with good quality suits.

Have a look on Pinterest for ideas too. I think your dress is lovely but perhaps a different necklace. The woman was rude though, I bet she is wishing she engaged brain before mouth.

Studyinghell Mon 23-Jan-17 20:25:30

I'd say it wasn't the pearls, it was grey tights blush

MorelloKisses Mon 23-Jan-17 20:27:55

studying that is interesting because when I first got dressed, I put black on, and then changed, thinking the grey was more 'chic'

Highalert Mon 23-Jan-17 20:28:20

You think 50 year olds dress like grannys?

BestIsWest Mon 23-Jan-17 20:29:51

Bit ageist OP. How does a 50 year old dress? Badly? Frumpily? Well?

Surreyblah Mon 23-Jan-17 20:31:15

How rude!

MorelloKisses Mon 23-Jan-17 20:32:05

Ok, I'm sorry for ageist....it wasn't exactly me though, it was someone telling me I was dressed too old for my age, they went in to say that they would expect so,etching a bit more funky

I wasn't trying to be age discriminatory, my style icon was more mature than me, it is just that the comment was not meant as a compliment

Sorry

MollyHuaCha Mon 23-Jan-17 20:32:28

Absolutely love that dress!!

SinglePringle Mon 23-Jan-17 20:33:28

I get you are in a corporate environment but the dress is a tad on the boring side. Diane Lockheart would wear it with a fabulous piece if clearly very expensive jewellery!

I'd go for sheer black tights and a thin heeled high stiletto (also black) to up the 'vamp' factor.

MorelloKisses Mon 23-Jan-17 20:33:41

Now I feel worse than when I was commented in this mornin...

Whisky2014 Mon 23-Jan-17 20:34:57

Grey tights? I think thats the issue

MorelloKisses Mon 23-Jan-17 20:35:03

Me shoes are very very high stiletto heels

meringue33 Mon 23-Jan-17 20:35:36

I don't think there is anything wrong with dressing a bit older for the workplace, equals more age, gravitas and experience, ergo better jobs and pay. Love that dress (and Diane Lockhart).

notMarlene Mon 23-Jan-17 20:37:06

It was very rude of her, yes. She has probably done you a favour though. Is the new hair cut / new colour a big change from how it was before?

There is a fine line between 'really classic' which can be beautifully chic and 'very conservative' which rarely can. If your hair was somehow softer before the new cut/colour then that might mean you need to tweak some outfits that worked before a bit now. Grey tights and short pearls was probably the culprit here. Either might have been ok. Tights probably the worst offender, although I'd like 'em with coloured shoes.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Mon 23-Jan-17 20:38:39

FGS, who says something like that. Might be a case of the ye olde green eyed monster.

RogueStar01 Mon 23-Jan-17 20:39:57

that's a nice outfit, i ummed and ahhed over buying this dress but already have too many similar ones as they are so flexible - i agree i reckon it could only be the necklace that was out, I would wear grey and purple together and think they looked nice. I wouldn't personally worry about it.

ScarletForYa Mon 23-Jan-17 20:41:30

The necklace is hickey, sorry OP.

MorelloKisses Mon 23-Jan-17 20:42:39

Hickey?

Teaholic Mon 23-Jan-17 20:45:12

I love Diane Lockhart's outfits on suits. She always looks fantastic. I also like the dress you linked to.

I am in my forties but I think if you're slim then well-fitting classic clothes are very flattering and it's not about being 'daring' necessarily. Daring is linked with dressing young but I was always more motivated to look good.
Of course 'good' is subjective.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now