Talk

Advanced search

Help! I have no style...

(7 Posts)
SandunesAndRainclouds Sun 22-Jan-17 18:42:08

DH and I have been invited to a rare night out with his colleagues, going to a fairly up-market bar bistro thing. I am also getting to go to the theatre in a few weeks (oooh, check me out!) so I am going to buy a new outfit suitable for both. We've both been through a really, really stressful time recently and I'd love to go out relaxed and happy.... that involves feeling confident in what I'm dressed in.

My wardrobe consists of Tesco jeans and H&M t-shirts, or leggings with H&M long jumper dresses. I have one pair of beaten up leather knee-high boots and my faithful Uggs. It has become my SAHM uniform; quick and easy while being warm and comfortable.

I am 5'4" (really annoying height - petite ranges just a bit short, regular length usually too long), and dress size 6-8 depending on brand. I have shoulder length darkish blonde / light brown hair. Rapidly approaching 40.

Can I pull off Brogues with Smart but slouchy trousers and a top that can be layered so I stay warm - maybe an informal shirt / sweatshirt combination.

I like the idea of looking as though I've casually thrown something on but still looking smart but not over done. I used to be able to dress myself, but now it seems that I can only manage if it is my old faithfuls!

NewPantsforaNewYear Sun 22-Jan-17 21:20:15

How about a jumpsuit to wear with your brogues?
www.next.co.uk/gl8214s9

If you're have a leather jacket, you could wear that to keep things casual.

SandunesAndRainclouds Sun 22-Jan-17 21:26:32

That's gorgeous, but not something I could pull off. I have zero going on chest wise and it would show my thermal vest and I definitely don't have the confidence for it.

NewPantsforaNewYear Sun 22-Jan-17 23:57:51

How about something like this with your trousers?

NewPantsforaNewYear Mon 23-Jan-17 00:01:23

You could even do a half tuck for a little insouciance. smile

SandunesAndRainclouds Mon 23-Jan-17 10:03:25

That top is really pretty, I like that. The picture on the far right of the blog link is exactly the look I was thinking of, just in different colours!

NewPantsforaNewYear Mon 23-Jan-17 10:37:34

Sounds great. Might be worth wearing your trousers on a shopping trip and trying in loads of different tops to find one you're really happy in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now