Talk

Advanced search

do you think I could wash this dress?

(14 Posts)
traviata Sun 22-Jan-17 14:28:54

Hobbs Eimear dress

The label says:
Do not wash. Made of 65% polyester, 33%viscose/rayon, 2% elastane.
lining 100% polyester.

I am thinking of trying it on a short cool wash then drip dry.

opinions or experiences?

Pestilence13610 Sun 22-Jan-17 14:58:52

Viscose/rayon has a tendency to shrink

traviata Sun 22-Jan-17 16:38:28

oh shock.

that's very useful, thankyou.

Even if it only shrinks a bit, I guess it would affect the shape and the finish.

barefoofdoctor Sun 22-Jan-17 17:29:31

I have washed various silk dresses, including a Hobbs silk/acetate one gently in cool water, using M&S silk and cashmere wash. Squeeze out in a towel (folded not rumpled), then hang on a coat hanger to dry near a radiator. Hope that helps.

BusterGonad Mon 23-Jan-17 04:52:04

I know you know op but viscose S a little bugger, whenever I buy viscose even if it says to wash at 40, I always get the size bigger. I try not to buy it at all but sometimes something slips through the net! I have two beautiful tops that no longer fit my boobs in! So gutted!

banivani Mon 23-Jan-17 06:50:52

Viscose is terrible for shrinking. sad however the polyester might help. Hard to say for sure, it's definitely a risk...

Marmelised Mon 23-Jan-17 07:02:19

I have this dress. It's beautiful but I would worry about washing it. It's heavy and I would be concerned that it would lose shape.

BusterGonad Mon 23-Jan-17 07:06:18

If you're prepared to pay £££ for a Hobbs dress then I think you should take care of it and get it dry cleaned. I wouldn't risk it.

traviata Mon 23-Jan-17 08:38:34

all good points, thank you.

HardcoreLadyType Mon 23-Jan-17 11:49:06

I once had a lovely skirt that was dry clean only. It was made of synthetic fibres of some sort, but I can't exactly remember what.

I thought I would hand-wash it, and it was a disaster. The texture of the fabric all stretched, and the skirt was ruined, basically.

I wouldn't risk it.

I would, however, hand wash silk or cashmere, or other natural fibres, even if they said to dry clean. People have been hand-washing them for hundreds, if not thousands of years!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 23-Jan-17 11:54:33

I wouldn't risk it for a dress that cost that much.

BikeRunSki Mon 23-Jan-17 11:56:21

Based on experience, I suspect the dress will shrink a bit and the lining won't, so the lining will be all baggy.

traviata Mon 23-Jan-17 22:38:31

you are right.

I wish I'd looked properly at the label, I don't like dry cleaning .

PopeMortificado Tue 24-Jan-17 13:08:31

I would guess if you do a cold handwash using a delicates detergent ( like Woolite or Persil silk it would be fine).

Many clothes marked dry clean only don't need to be dry cleaned

The main problems with washing are:
- colour run - particularly for brightly coloured silks which may run and lose vibrancy on a cold wash.
- shrinkage - can normally be avoided by cold wash and hand wash.
- features of the garment that are not amenable to washing (eg. shoulder pads in suits, leather or suede trim etc).

Doesn't look like your dress is likely to come a cropper if you wash it cold and treat as delicates. But as always running a risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now