Talk

Advanced search

Prescription Sunglasses

(26 Posts)
FuckDietCoke Sun 22-Jan-17 09:39:07

I've been following the how to look groomed threads and seen a few people comment on not being able to have prescription sunglasses and some being able too.

I have to wear glasses all the time and have always struggled without sunglasses. I'm going on holiday and would love the below sunglasses.

Would these frames be able to have prescription lenses in? I was told Ray Bans couldn't have prescription lenses when I asked. If they can't can anyone recommend any that can?!

flumpsnlumpsnstuff Sun 22-Jan-17 09:46:18

They look like they are too flat to take a ophthalmic lens, sorry try Maui Jim they make amazing lenses and really nice frames or rayban's ophthalmic range of sunnies ( normally say rx) hth

bookbook Sun 22-Jan-17 09:47:55

Who told you Ray bans cannot have prescription sunglasses ?- DH has them , got them in Boots !

WatchingFromTheWings Sun 22-Jan-17 09:48:50

Specsavers do rayban sunglasses.

nancy75 Sun 22-Jan-17 09:50:19

I've got rayban prescription sun glasses from boots

MazDazzle Sun 22-Jan-17 09:50:35

You definitely get prescription Ray Bans. My local optician sells them.

llangennith Sun 22-Jan-17 09:50:54

Many years ago I had prescription lenses put into Raybans but they had to be sent away to be done. To Raybans maybe?

FuckDietCoke Sun 22-Jan-17 09:51:04

I suspected so. I find it hard to like any sunglasses and most don't suit me. I will take a look flumps thank you.

I went into Boots opticians where I live and the man there told me he couldn't put my lenses in because they were too curved. I sent them back so no longer have them to take to another shop. I love the ones I posted now sad

helloworlditsme Sun 22-Jan-17 09:51:23

Rayban aviators can't have prescription lenses but rayon originals can, or that's what I was told last time I bought prescription glasses.

prescription sunglasses

empirerecordsrocked Sun 22-Jan-17 09:51:24

Have a look at Glasses Direct - they put prescription lenses in almost all their frames.

I have had several pairs from there and really rate them.

BikeRunSki Sun 22-Jan-17 09:52:15

Why don't you speak to an optician? I use a local chain, who make their own lenses and frames, as well as stocking other basic and designer frames (including Raybans). They have fitted my (strong) lenses into frames that high street shops (Specsavers, D&A) couldn't or wouldn't.

I currently have RayBan-alike sunnies, largely because they were over £100 cheaper!

helloworlditsme Sun 22-Jan-17 09:52:56

Just looked properly and there are Raybans on the boots link under their prescription sunglasses section

FuckDietCoke Sun 22-Jan-17 09:55:33

will look on glasses direct - thank you.

bike I plan too, I've just had my eye on those sunnies for ages I love them so thought I'd do a quick post here before I impulse buy! The last time I went into Boots he was really unhelpful. All he said was "no RayBans are curved I can't do it" so wondered if anyone else had successfully purchased some sunnies & had lenses put in smile

MrsDoylesTeabags Sun 22-Jan-17 10:01:56

It really depends on your prescription but I agree they would only be suitable for a low prescription, They are a large and very flat frame and very angular, if you have a strong plus or minus prescription the lenses will bend the frame out of shape, due to the size of the frame even if you have the thinner lenses they will not be able to thin them down much.

Did the man give you any other advise? some sunglasses are made specificaly to have a prescription. you are probably best with a slightly smaller frame that is slightly curved, but you need to visit a few more opticians to get some proper advise from the fitter about what will be suitable for your presription and how they will likely look with your prescription in them.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sun 22-Jan-17 10:05:46

lots of sunspec frames are totally unsuitable for prescription lenses...many and varied reasons from being too large, too exaggerated shapes, too wrap around, too shitey, yes even if you paid £300 for them they are cheap tat that won't hold a lens!

Loads of opticians do sunspec style frames and you will get good advice regarding the best choice for you face type and your prescription, and the sort of sun lens to choose.

Also bear in mind lots of places do not like putting lenses into frames they haven't supplied, the frame will have to be heated to remove and insert lenses and not all manufacturers of sunspecs use decent frame materials.

MrsDoylesTeabags Sun 22-Jan-17 10:07:10

Oh I meant to add. I brought some prescription sunnies from Specsavers which were disgusting. The next time I had some from Asda Opticians and they were fantastic and cheap as chips, not designer ones but they don't look like prescription glasses and I have a very strong minus prescription.

FuckDietCoke Sun 22-Jan-17 10:10:57

mrsdoyles I do have minus prescriptions sad he didn't give me any advice, was useless if I'm honest! I don't mind them not being designer as long as I like the frame. I'll pop in and see, thank you

helterskelter99 Sun 22-Jan-17 10:13:40

Curved lenses are v expensive but worth a every one if the many pennies I spent on them I love them as much now as I did Prob 6 years ago
Skiing is easier driving is better do it xx

helterskelter99 Sun 22-Jan-17 10:15:08

I got them from David clulow

Wolpertinger Sun 22-Jan-17 10:21:26

Go to an optician that has a lot of designer frames and pick. Instead of falling in love with a specific pair of sunnies and finding they can't be done.

I go to David Clulow and they have a huge range of designer sunglass style frames (including Raybans) - plus you can have tinted lens in any frame you choose.

My only problem has been that my preference would be for giant lenses Jackie O-style sunglasses but they can't do my prescription lens. Can still get pretty big though and I have some lovely Bulgari sunglasses.

Usually if you have your main specs done, there will be some sort of special offer on a second pair or prescription sunglasses at the same time, which is when I get mine.

Makes driving and holidaying much better although a nuisance to keep swapping

Kazplus2 Sun 22-Jan-17 10:25:14

My prescription sunglasses have a raybans frame.

MrsDoylesTeabags Sun 22-Jan-17 10:26:43

FuckDietCoke I used to work in an opticians. This is what a minus lens looks like. The bigger the frame you pick the bigger the lensses needed to fit and so it's difficult to thin them down to look good. Shop around and find a decent knowledgable advisor who will be able to help you pick some frames that are attractive and will suit your prescription.
Tondeleya is right some prescription frames are not strong enough to hold prescription lenses.

BubbleWrapQueen Sun 22-Jan-17 10:28:05

I got mine from select specs, have three or four pairs of prescription sunnies now. They've changed my life.

TollgateDebs Sun 22-Jan-17 14:34:29

I have prescription sunglasses very like the ones you have shown, with a black tint. I am very short-sighted and went to an optical lab, so spoke to someone who knew exactly what can be done with lenses and frames! The brand is Univo and they were not expensive in comparison to my everyday lenses / frames. They are brilliant and I would recommend prescription sunglasses (and swimming goggles) to all.

highwoodwitch Sun 22-Jan-17 14:49:37

I have 2 pairs of Ted Baker varifocal sunglasses. Brilliant - from Vision Express. Usual glasses are transitions which are no good in the car so needed sunnies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now