Talk

Advanced search

I'm too classic for my own good, help me modernise a bit!

(12 Posts)
classicus Sat 21-Jan-17 19:00:21

So skinnies and a jumper plus a scarf round my neck for a pop of colour is a uniform that's boring me rigid. Every time I try to drag myself into a more modern look I get defeated by my own set of style rules. I don't like so many things that it stops me from doing anything else. Where could I start?

Hate asymmetry, distressed, chunky, shapeless, boxy and beige. Am I resigned to a life of cashmere and cardigans?

What do other classic dressers do to modernise themselves?

I can do posh, it's the casual, everyday look that slays me.

TIA

LtGreggs Sat 21-Jan-17 19:03:34

I think you are me - except I think I'm secretly pretty happy stuck with skinnies, cardigans and scarves as required.

Others will be along to help...

bigbuttons Sat 21-Jan-17 19:04:24

I'm with you OP, watching with interest......

leggydisplay Sat 21-Jan-17 19:05:08

I discovered jersey dresses. Have a look at the Hush website and that should give you some ideas. smile

classicus Sat 21-Jan-17 19:09:04

I'm glad to have such good company! Jersey dresses - are they kind to menopausal midriffs?

MissFoodie Sat 21-Jan-17 20:49:28

Get yourself a Maria Tash ear piercing ;)

Trollspoopglitter Sat 21-Jan-17 20:51:44

Funky coat or jacket in an impractical but on trend colour or pattern. Your classics become a background.

Newbrummie Sat 21-Jan-17 20:54:54

Coat is the way forward. I used to have the super expensive camel coloured ones, still do for work but I'm super trendy less than a £100 at weekends and for going oooooout

Bluntness100 Sat 21-Jan-17 20:55:40

Lose the scarves, if youre using them for a pop of colour only and it's not the big oversized woollen ones then they are quite old fashioned now. You will look more modern without them immediately.

Trollspoopglitter Sat 21-Jan-17 21:01:22

I was going to link to some loud casual shoes from selfridges but only trainers I liked were these Jimmy choo trainers at pretty stupid money. For fabric, at least. Still like them. blush

dudsville Sat 21-Jan-17 21:04:29

What about shoes and hair to update a look or make it more interesting, or a change in makeup? Could you ditch the scarf and get your jumpers in colours instead? What about a different bag? Nails?

I think classic is just so easy that I wouldn't mess about with stopping the basics. My casual is skinnies (sometimes these are jean, sometimes cord), in winter it's knee high nice flat boots with short cowl neck 3/4 sleeve wool jumpers. In summer it's the same bottoms but loafers and brogues and short tops with jackets. It's just so easy. Even though I've been wearing the same thing for ages and I think I could be mistaken for not changing my clothes from one day to the next, most days I get a compliment. By the way, by "short" I mean to my waist, otherwise my waist gets lost, I don't mean mid drift!

PuppyMouse Sat 21-Jan-17 21:04:44

Watching with interest. I went shopping today for first time in about a year. I just automatically get drawn to the same jumpers, the same colours - skinnies only with boots in winter and flat loafers or deck shoes when it gets warmer. I don't wear scarves unless it's cold though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now