Talk

Advanced search

Easy hair for black tie

(17 Posts)
skillsandtea Sat 21-Jan-17 13:46:19

I have shoulder length hair but all I do everyday is straighten it and I'm a bit uncoordinated so struggle to do different styles. Other people make it look so easy! I have a ghd curling iron but the last time I tried it DH said my hair looked like a bird's nest. So what can I do or what accessories should I buy that can transform my hair into stunning evening glamour for a black tie event on Monday?! I don't really want to go to a hairdresser either. Don't mind up or down or a few twisty bits - just anything that isn't my boring everyday.

jeaux90 Sat 21-Jan-17 14:18:47

There are a few easy ones. Use a fake sponge bun. Hair in pony hail first then feed it through and wrap your hair around and over the sponge bit fasten with little grips. Use tongs to do curly bits around the nape etc.

There are some great tips on YouTube for this kind of stuff

skillsandtea Sat 21-Jan-17 14:36:38

Thank you jeaux90. YouTube- great idea!

burnishedsilver Sat 21-Jan-17 17:50:44

For what you you slend on accessories and products youd be better off to take the stress out of it and get a blow dry.

burnishedsilver Sat 21-Jan-17 17:50:55

Spend.

DandelionAndBedrock Sat 21-Jan-17 17:55:32

Can you do French plaits? Two French plaits (one either side of your parting - I have a side parting so they aren't even, that doesn't matter). Little plastic clear bobbles at the bottom. Tie the two ends together (to make a v shape) with another hair tie, then twist the bottom of the plaits over itself (like a topsy-tail ponytail). Keep going until you can't go any more and then pin any stray ends. Will try and find a photo online - much easier than it sounds!

Trifle66 Sat 21-Jan-17 17:59:42

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/91/68/98/9168988750c59b3aae23b830ac813afc.jpg
I do this it really is very easy

jeaux90 Sat 21-Jan-17 18:18:05

Yes trifle that one looks great. Way easier that it looks too.

LapinR0se Sat 21-Jan-17 18:21:56

Go to the hairdresser. Always better for a black tie do

GinIsIn Sat 21-Jan-17 18:28:00

No 10 on this article is so easy to do, and always looks really good....

www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/verymuchso/17-ways-to-never-have-a-bad-hair-day-again

skillsandtea Sat 21-Jan-17 18:53:59

Thank you everyone! I really won't have time to go to the salon as I'll be at work first. Fenella and Trifle, that twisty ponytail thing is easy but my hair is shorter than theirs so I only have about an inch left at the bottom when I've looped it in once and don't know what to do with the end with it being so short. Maybe could find something shiny to go over it, or a clip on flower thing? Will practise some.

blueobsessive Sat 21-Jan-17 18:58:59

The chignon thing works well with slightly shorter hair if you chop a hair donut in half so it is like a small banana shape then pin you hair up and over into it. Best results if you twizzle/ twiddle (?) the hair from with side of your head into twists then pin it in. (Not a hairdresser)

GinIsIn Sat 21-Jan-17 18:59:13

My hair is the same length as yours - once you've threaded the ponytail through, roll the ponytail bit round like a caneloni with the ends tucked on the inside.

GinIsIn Sat 21-Jan-17 19:03:56

You can see how to do the bottom a bit clearer here....

Kaz2200 Sat 21-Jan-17 19:10:48

When you've done the twiddly bit on one side, how do you hold it to do the other?

GinIsIn Sat 21-Jan-17 19:22:23

You get the twiddly bit on both sides at the same time by making a ponytail then threading the ponytail through itself so it twiddles automatically.

Kaz2200 Sat 21-Jan-17 20:23:07

Ah OK, off to give it a try

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now