Talk

Advanced search

Work wardrobe inspiration needed

(8 Posts)
user1471549018 Fri 20-Jan-17 08:48:15

I'm about to become a medical consultant. I'm mid 30s but look 10 years younger (and sometimes mistaken for the medical student blush). I want to look more mature, conservative, calm and confident. Trouble is that's not me! I normally wear something like this:

www.asos.com/asos/asos-straight-trousers-with-jet-pocket/prd/3865032?iid=3865032

I'm looking to invest in a capsule wardrobe for work does anyone have any celebs to inspire me/shops to look at? I'm currently on mat leave so can't stalk my colleagues!

To make things a bit more tricky, I can't wear jewelry or scarves, have to wear comfortable flats (on my feet all day), and have to be able to easily go 'bare below the elbow'.

Help!

(Size 10/5 foot 9 btw.)

NapQueen Fri 20-Jan-17 08:52:11

I think Jennifer Aniston always looks mart when she dresses in more work style wear - smart trousers and shirt (folded back sleeves)

Have you got Pintrest? You could search on there for work wear and they put pics together with links

user1471549018 Fri 20-Jan-17 09:02:27

Jennifer Aniston is perfect thank you. I'm not having much luck on pinterest- everything seems to be suits and killer heels

coxsorangepippin Fri 20-Jan-17 09:22:06

I love Hobbs for tailored dresses made from suit type fabric, that look much more grownup (on me) than soft/drapey/stretchy materials.

traviata Fri 20-Jan-17 09:29:49

Congratulations on your appointment smile

IME a tailored jacket is the answer to looking grown up. You'd need one made of material soft enough to have the sleeves pushed up to the elbows, but actually I have a few lightweight wool jackets and I could roll the sleeves up on them.

And trade the t-shirts for tailored tops underneath the jacket.

have you looked at TM Lewin, for example?

bojorojo Fri 20-Jan-17 09:38:54

My DD is a young Barrister and although black is de rigour in court she does also have to look smart to meet clients, but not necessarily black. I suggest well cut cigarette pants and a variety of shirts. T M Lewin and Charles Trywhitt have some. Usually well cut trousers can be found at Hobbs or L K Bennett. Boden also have some but avoid their silly prints for work.

Dresses can often be found at Jaeger or Boden again. Just plain and comfortable. DD wears loafers with cigarette pants when she is on her feet a lot and low block heeled pumps with a dress. Higher heels when necessary ! She buys jackets and skirts in the sale at LKB to keep costs down.

I think some John Lewis stores have personal shoppers. Have you looked into doing this? Good luck - it will be fun looking!

user1471549018 Fri 20-Jan-17 12:42:32

Thanks so much. A few brands I haven't heard of to investigate

BensonBunny Fri 20-Jan-17 17:15:08

I would second the John Lewis personal shopper, easy to choose across a range of brands. Hobbs can be good, one surgeon I work with gets a new capsule wardrobe there every few years then adds pieces from elsewhere that complement. Short sleeves with a cardigan or jacket is the easy solution to bare below the elbows (unless your hospital has warm corridors, mine doesn't!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now