Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Nail virgin

(20 Posts)
sergeantmajor Thu 19-Jan-17 13:41:43

I take very little interest in my nails and so the whole gel / acrylic thing has passed me by.

However I have a series of special occasions coming up, which makes me think I need one of those very long-lasting manicures to get me through.

I am even prepared to go to a salon to get one! But what do I ask for? Gel vs Acrylic (are they different?) or something else?

Dieu Thu 19-Jan-17 14:00:03

Gel is a type of polish that will be painted on.

Acrylics are false nails, as long or as short as you wish, that will be put on top of your own nails. Usually it would be for folks who have naturally short nails, who want to add a bit of length. Once on, they are treated as normal nails (can be painted as normal, which is useful if you want to change colour for different occasions). They last a few weeks and would be soaked off in acetone.

If your special occasions are going to occur within a 2 week period, and you're not bothered about changing colour, then you can't beat Shellac. It's a polish that will be painted on, then 'baked' on using a UV lamp. They are dry straight away, and very hardened, if that makes sense. Make sure that the beautician wraps the colour under the nail tip, for extra long lasting results. And buffing the nail and pushing down your cuticles will also ensure that they last longer.
You could go for glittery black or a nude colour, which would go with anything.
Make sure that no matter which nails you choose, you wear washing up gloves when doing the dishes etc. And none are particularly good for your nails, so get a decent hand/nail cream.
Biggest issue with Shellac is which colour to choose grin
Hope this helps!
p.s. look for deals on Groupon et al. Can make a huge cost difference.

Buttwing Thu 19-Jan-17 14:12:42

Agree with what dieu said. If you have a reasonable length nail shellac (gel) looks really nice and like normal polish just better. It's also indestructible I usually get two weeks out of mine. Just make sure you don't pick it off as it can really damage your nail.
I had mine done on Saturday. Sorry but of a dodgy pic!

Dieu Thu 19-Jan-17 16:34:04

I currently have Shellacs in 'Butterfly Queen'. It is my ultimate favourite glittery pink!

OCSockOrphanage Thu 19-Jan-17 16:56:42

I had Black Chromed nails for Xmas, they lasted three weeks and the colour went with everything!

OCSockOrphanage Thu 19-Jan-17 16:57:55

Shellac.... duh!

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 19-Jan-17 17:04:39

Hard gel is used for extensions. Shellacs not gel, it wears like a gel.

If you go for shellac they shouldn't buff, it's not required for shellac. Buffing takes nail plate with it & with CND products is only used for gel/acrylic extensions or overlays very lightly.

If your not going back regularly ask to purchase the offly fast kit, it's got enough wraps, remover etc for two removals. There will be an orange stick, it's for pushing removed shellac off the nail, not scraping the nail like your stripping gloss paint. There will be a little bottle of solar oil in there too, apply daily over the nail and skin.

Dieu Thu 19-Jan-17 17:29:13

My nails were buffed in advance of my last Shellac. It roughens up the nail surface a bit, which means that the Shellac stays on better than it would do on a super smooth nail. Nearly 3 weeks and still going strong!

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 19-Jan-17 18:17:06

You don't need to, and it's not part of the preparation as directed by CND.

I would question why they aren't doing what CND advise, the no buffing is a major advantage because a fingernail is very thin. Buffing to rough up reduces the thickness & strength. You need a strong natural nail to keep shellac on or an application of the new topcoat duraforce.

Shellac will last 3 weeks on healthy natural nails with no buffing, some people will keep it on 3 months (yes it looks awful by then because your nail is half shellac/half regrowth). Most clients go three weeks anyway.

cnd.com/pdf/Step%20by%20Steps%20(including%20Shellac)/CND-PEP-Technique-SBS.pdf This is how CND shellac ought to be applied.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 19-Jan-17 18:21:25

I don't buff, I think it weakens the nail , funny that my gut instinct was right.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 19-Jan-17 18:22:53

I only get just over a week with gel as my nails grow like mad and I end up with a big gap at the nail bed.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 19-Jan-17 18:26:25

Fluffy- I ordered some Dadi oil after you recommending it, it's fab! Thank youflowers

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 19-Jan-17 18:45:23

I'm really pleased you like it. I've attended a training course run by the man who invented it. Lovely people & very passionate about nail care.

Her nails are gorgeous and her own too.

Dieu Thu 19-Jan-17 19:13:15

If it's very lightly done Fluffy, I think it's fine. Lots of beauticians have their own little ways and means of doing things, and making the Shellac last longer for their clients, without necessarily following the rulebook to a T.

TizzyDongue Thu 19-Jan-17 19:20:43

I too am (was) a nail virgin, anf got my first Shellac this Christmas: they buffed - and my nails are now wreaked!! Horrible spilt and breaking.

Usually have great nails - interesting to heard about not buffung. (The Shellac was great though - really lasted!)

sergeantmajor Thu 19-Jan-17 19:26:34

/thanks all. Do I assume that normal nail polish that claims to be long lasting like gel just isn't? Are there any DIY nail polishes that go the distance?

Dieu Thu 19-Jan-17 19:32:16

It's just not the same Sergeant, honestly. I have tried all the shop bought 7 day ones, but they all chip.
You can usually get Shellac on Groupon or Itison for less than £20, and it is worth it.

Dieu Thu 19-Jan-17 19:34:00

It is interesting! My Shellacs have never lasted when they don't buff!

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 19-Jan-17 19:48:55

Sergant What county are you in?.

You have to wonder why shellac isn't lasting when they don't buff when it's a product designed for no shine removal. Not like gels that need buffing..

Shellac doesn't need lots of help to last. Everyone should be using the system correctly.

LoupGarou Thu 19-Jan-17 23:58:18

Shellac never works on me, they can't even get it to cure/set (not sure of the correct phrase) properly. Have tried it in a lot of different salons in several different countries and with different colours. Couple of the salons even spoke to the company who couldn't figure it out. Shame as it looks amazing on everyone else.

I use Sally Hansen's Complete Salon Manicure nail polishes, they have really improved the condition of my nails and seems to be very easy to get it to look good, adnand I am pants at nails! My favourite shade at the moment, and my go to shade for events is Nude Now, I always get lots of compliments and it lasts pretty well with Seche Vite over the top.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now