Talk

Advanced search

Maybe I want a wig ...

(38 Posts)
NotQuiteCockney Fri 23-Feb-07 20:26:20

I am having sudden urges to dress up in drag, of late. I think I maybe want a wig? Either auburn, or some goofy colour.

Do I go to a good wig store to see what works? Do I just go to the (Afri-Caribbean) wig store around the corner? Do I just order something over the net? Or do I hide under my bed until the urge passes?

southeastastra Fri 23-Feb-07 20:27:30

get one! my neice has a red bob which looks surprisingly groovy

sassy Fri 23-Feb-07 20:28:45

My Dad is after a wig this week!
He's being called to the bar on 8th (?) March and needs full barrister kit. Shall I get him to buy 2 and post you one?

V natty, esp with the little bow ties on the ends!

NotQuiteCockney Fri 23-Feb-07 20:29:31

Um. No, thanks.

By 'drag', I meant, 'dress as a woman'. Not 'dress as a barrister'. Tempting though it sounds ...

MrsApron Fri 23-Feb-07 20:54:01

does it count as drag when you are already female?

But yes you should, are you thinnking cheap crazy ones or a could it be real one?

NotQuiteCockney Fri 23-Feb-07 22:12:01

Probably cheap crazy one, to try it out? I think the nicer ones are really pricey, aren't they?

NotQuiteCockney Fri 23-Feb-07 22:12:40

And yeah, it's drag, if you're me. I have glasses (might get contacts again), very very very short hair, no makeup, normally trousers, etc etc. Mostly, these days, I dress like a (reasonably tidy) bike courier. Today was leggings, long denim shorts, and a hoodie.

simplycontrolfreaky Fri 23-Feb-07 22:13:21

you do know how hot itchy and unpleasant wearing a cheap wig will be dontcha??

Winestein Fri 23-Feb-07 22:15:21

V. pricey for realistic. I have a couple of friends with alopecia and their wigs cost an arm and a leg even withou the VAT allowed.
My childminders daughter has a Stephanie from Lazytown wig she has grown bored of if you want crazy style though....

Winestein Fri 23-Feb-07 22:17:38

Hmmmm.. good point Controlfreaky - that is another thing my friends complain of. Hot and itchy, and their wigs are mega-bucks. Mindst you, you could just rip it off I suppose...

NotQuiteCockney Sat 24-Feb-07 07:49:22

Yeah, I expect it will be warm and itchy, but as you say, I can just take it off if I get fed up. I hope it will be less annoying as an occassional optional thing, than it would be as something I had to wear.

FrannyandZooey Sat 24-Feb-07 07:54:45

Oh good lord

<image of NQC dressed in Dolly Parton wig, with Mr NQC accompanying in a zoot suit, flashes through head>

FrannyandZooey Sat 24-Feb-07 07:55:20

This is something to do with Britney Spears, isn't it?

don't you think therapy would be cheaper than a wig, in the long term?

NotQuiteCockney Sat 24-Feb-07 07:56:34

This is nothing to do with bloody Britney Spears.

And I wouldn't wear the wig for regular things, I just suddenly like the idea of dressing up in drag. (Actually, getting a wig was the original plan, when I shaved my head, the first time.)

NotQuiteCockney Sat 24-Feb-07 07:57:03

Oh, and a friend mentioned the idea of a blue wig, on the phone the other night, and all of a sudden it sounded like a good idea.

FrannyandZooey Sat 24-Feb-07 07:57:45

It's a bedroom thing, then, is it?

misdee Sat 24-Feb-07 07:58:07

go to a wig shop and try loads on.

NotQuiteCockney Sat 24-Feb-07 07:59:49

Yeah, I think I do have to try some on. The nearby shop is largely for an afro-caribbean clientele, but the wigs look ... interesting? I can at least get an idea of how a wig feels there.

<<studiously ignores Frances>>

misdee Sat 24-Feb-07 08:03:35

synthetic wigs can look awful, go for real hair if you will wear it loads.

you shaved your own head dont you? so you dont have enough for extensions?

FrannyandZooey Sat 24-Feb-07 08:03:39

<pulls self together in effort to be sensible>

I have a friend who wears a wig and she probably has the best hair of anyone I have ever seen. But hers cost an arm and a leg - I think cheap ones can be pretty nasty, both to wear and to look at.

FrannyandZooey Sat 24-Feb-07 08:04:22

They have a wig dept in our Debenhams now

<strange but true>

misdee Sat 24-Feb-07 08:05:25

i think wigs are a lot more comman than people think tbh. its a very quick way of chaging your whole look in a instant, and can look amazing.

NotQuiteCockney Sat 24-Feb-07 08:07:47

Oh, no, I don't want extensions - I want something very temporary. I don't see myself wearing it regularly - more for nights out or something. Not a daily thing, probably not even a weekly thing.

I figure I can try on wigs and see how I feel about them, then maybe buy a cheap one and see how it goes.

NotQuiteCockney Sat 24-Feb-07 08:08:25

I am quite happy with my normal look, I just want to have another option, iyswim. Shaved head definately suits me and my lifestyle.

misdee Sat 24-Feb-07 08:10:11

then get a wig for an instant change!

i know someone who wore a wig for years, she had quite a collection

i think you may need to get your head measured though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now