Talk

Advanced search

What to wear in Dubai in march?

(8 Posts)
Spendymcspendy Wed 18-Jan-17 08:23:59

Hi all, has anyone been to Dubai and can give advise as to what I should wear when I am out and about in Dubai during the day and evening? I am looking at going in March, and understand that normal/casual holiday clothes are fine around your hotel/pool/beach but I am slightly at a loss what I would need to wear if going to Dubai mall etc! I am a size 14, so if anyone could give some ideas or even better link some items you would feel comfortable in that would really help!!

OCSockOrphanage Wed 18-Jan-17 12:36:27

Normal/casual is fine at the malls during the day but not actual beachwear (short shorts or bare shoulders); you would be fine in thin cotton trousers, dresses, T--shirt and skirt. A little more restrained if you go to Karama, which is very Indian. The evenings are pretty much what you would wear anywhere else (slightly dressier than the UK) for the equivalent event or venue, with a strong suggestion that you have something to protect from the arctic AC that hotels and cinemas deem essential.

I'm going about the same time as you and I shall take linen ankle grazer jeans, a couple of skirts, a kaftan for putting over my bikini to go to/from the pool, and maybe a simple sleeveless long shift dress. I'll go to American Eagle and top up my T-shirt supply while I'm there. However, I'm staying with family so I can borrow something in a crisis!

OCSockOrphanage Wed 18-Jan-17 12:36:38

Normal/casual is fine at the malls during the day but not actual beachwear (short shorts or bare shoulders); you would be fine in thin cotton trousers, dresses, T--shirt and skirt. A little more restrained if you go to Karama, which is very Indian. The evenings are pretty much what you would wear anywhere else (slightly dressier than the UK) for the equivalent event or venue, with a strong suggestion that you have something to protect from the arctic AC that hotels and cinemas deem essential.

I'm going about the same time as you and I shall take linen ankle grazer jeans, a couple of skirts, a kaftan for putting over my bikini to go to/from the pool, and maybe a simple sleeveless long shift dress. I'll go to American Eagle and top up my T-shirt supply while I'm there. However, I'm staying with family so I can borrow something in a crisis!

OCSockOrphanage Wed 18-Jan-17 12:37:08

Sorry about double post!

Beketaten Wed 18-Jan-17 15:05:42

Yes, it's best to cover knees and wear nothing skimpier than a t-shirt on your top half when away from the hotel/beach/pool. The AC is ubiquitous and fierce, I carry a scarf everywhere when I'm there. It'll be nice in March, you'll be able to sit outside and enjoy the warmth.

If you go to visit the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi you'll need to be fully covered, but they will loan you an abaya for free.

BusterGonad Wed 18-Jan-17 15:45:25

In Qatar (I know it's not Dubai but similar) the ladies generally wear normal stuff such as jeans and t-shirts. I generally wear shirts with sleeves and jeans or dresses with sleeves or cap sleeves and leggings. On a night out I may wear short dresses but I ALWAYS carry leggings in my bag as different hotels (pubs) have different dress rules. If in doubt wear black tights or leggings underneath. If for example you are in a mall and you dress code isn't correct you generally won't be pulled up on it but it's considered disrespectful. Of an evening always take a cardy/blazer etc the air cons are chilly.

Spendymcspendy Wed 18-Jan-17 19:13:29

Thank you all for the replies, very helpful as I think I am definitely over thinking things!! I was worried that I would be too hot in jeans but if everywhere is air conditioned it might not be that bad? Then pack
my usual maxi dressss etc and might try to find some nice midi skirts too. I really don't wear anything that short anyway so I am sure I will be fine. Also OCsock - linen ankle grazer jeans, these sound fab where could I get my hands on some?

OCSockOrphanage Thu 19-Jan-17 08:56:50

Spendy, I bought them a couple of years ago in a warehouse sale of old stock amassed over several seasons that had failed to sell at retail in the local posh shop, so they were heavily marked down 90% off. They are 50/50 cotton linen, so don't crease badly, and they came from a German/Austrian brand called Annette Gortz, which may do similar each summer. Be warned, at full price they are wildly expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now